Subscribe
  1. 405th Midwest Regiment Member thorn696's Avatar
    Aug 6, 2012, 6:06 AM - #251

Base paint looks great.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Aug 6, 2012, 11:01 AM - #252

I think that is is looking great! I love watching the armour progressing along. Keep at it!

Also, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who watched the Mars Rover Landing. It's amazing what we can do when our species gets its act together. Now we just need to find the prothean ruins on the red planet...
    Aug 6, 2012, 11:07 AM - #253

Your the man! Boss Biceps Big Boi! Beast Build Buddy!
  5. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Carpathia's Xbox Gamertag Halcyon Pillar
    Aug 6, 2012, 11:08 AM - #254

Originally Posted by thorn696 View Post
    Base paint looks great.
    Thank you, I'm anxious to get the blackwash down and get these knocked out.

Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
    I think that is is looking great! I love watching the armour progressing along. Keep at it!

Also, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who watched the Mars Rover Landing. It's amazing what we can do when our species gets its act together. Now we just need to find the prothean ruins on the red planet...
    Thanks.

I was so sure that the rover was going to crash. There were literally thousands of things that could have gone wrong, and if any had gone wrong, game over. But it all went perfectly! I was stunned. My heart was actually racing when I heard that they received confirmation that it entered the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by TheBradinator View Post
    Your the man! Boss Biceps Big Boi! Beast Build Buddy!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Carpathia; Aug 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Aug 6, 2012, 1:58 PM - #255

Great work on the paint, I love that vaseline trick!

I was bummed out this morning that I forgot all about watching the landing
    Blog Entries
    Aug 6, 2012, 2:58 PM - #256

dang its looking great so far, keep up the fantastic work
  8. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 6, 2012, 11:50 PM - #257

Originally Posted by Z0M8I3 View Post
    Great work on the paint, I love that vaseline trick! (
    Originally Posted by Road Kill View Post
    dang its looking great so far, keep up the fantastic work
    Thanks!

Got a lot of work done tonight too. First of all, I finished up the paint job on the biceps...

Then I started to think about all the detail parts on the biceps. The inside areas and the spaces between the gaps of the armor are not simply gaps, they have some degree of underarmor to them. So, I took some of the craft foam I had and started to fill in the gaps...

Then, based on this little guy...

...I went a little farther on the inner arm area...

All that's left now is the padding and electronics, then I have to strap it and my undersuit up and the biceps will be finished. I discovered that I don't have any spare CD cases at my house (they're all back at my inlaws' house), so getting the lights in the biceps may take a while. Therefore, my focus very soon will be the cod (I keep saying that).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Carpathia; Aug 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Aug 7, 2012, 10:37 AM - #258

This is awesome Carpathiavh99! I love all of the extra little details you're adding to your suit, especially the little bit of craft foam on the biceps. It adds so much! You are an inspiration for us all.
  10. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Aug 7, 2012, 11:10 AM - #259

Are you still able to get your arm into them with that extra detail added? Nice work by the way, it's little details like this that really take things to the next level.
  11. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 7, 2012, 11:33 AM - #260

Originally Posted by TheRabbit View Post
    Are you still able to get your arm into them with that extra detail added?
    Yes, the armor still fits. I double checked what height I could go to before I attached the detail pieces. And the foam detail does not take away from the diameter of the opening either, so all is well.
  12. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 7, 2012, 4:33 PM - #261

this is looking realy good , love the xtra detail
    Aug 7, 2012, 5:01 PM - #262

uber uber uber sweet!!! love the foam accents you set in the bicep pieces, coming together very awesomely keep it up!!
  14. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Macattack64's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aug 8, 2012, 10:51 AM - #263

WOW! Just wow! I think I'll have to redo some things before you finish.
  15. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 8, 2012, 10:51 AM - #264

Originally Posted by Macattack64 View Post
    WOW! Just wow! I think I'll have to redo some things before you finish.
    I've got to do SOMETHING that you haven't already done.

I just realized that yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary of the beginning of this thread. It will be nice to see this build come to a close and the start of the documentation of showing the armor off at the H4 release and other events.

Tonight, I get to work on my cod, so keep an eye out.
    Last edited by Carpathia; Aug 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
  16. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Macattack64's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aug 8, 2012, 10:55 AM - #265

I'm gonna have to keep up with you so that I don't look like a scrub when we meet up(Sometime in the future I hope)! :P
  17. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 8, 2012, 10:58 AM - #266

Originally Posted by Macattack64 View Post
    I'm gonna have to keep up with you so that I don't look like a scrub when we meet up(Sometime in the future I hope)! :P
    Dude, your armor is among the best I've seen. Right up there with Longshot and Cyberben (really, even better than the suit Adam used to show off). I just hope that mine will compare; I think I'm doing pretty well, so...

And, yeah, one of these days we'll have to meet up, if only to compare our armor first hand.
  18. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Macattack64's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aug 8, 2012, 11:30 AM - #267

Originally Posted by carpathiavh99 View Post
    Dude, your armor is among the best I've seen. Right up there with Longshot and Cyberben (really, even better than the suit Adam used to show off). I just hope that mine will compare; I think I'm doing pretty well, so...

And, yeah, one of these days we'll have to meet up, if only to compare our armor first hand.
    That feels good hearing that! Thank you!!! Also, I still have adjustments that need to be made and some minor tweaks. The convention this weekend will help figure that out. I really appreciate it!! Your armor will definitely surpass mine though.
  19. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 8, 2012, 7:38 PM - #268

A tiny bit of progress tonight. First off, I snapped a picture of an armored arm to see how everything looks...

Honestly, I'm worried that the bicep looks a tad small. However, I'm not redoing it at this point, maybe sometime after launch.

I also started on the fiberglassing of my cod tonight...

I didn't get as far as I would have liked tonight. I got out my supplies to fiberglass my cod piece only to find out that I was very low on a lot of my supplies, namely fiberglass cloth, brushes and plastic cups. Ugh. So, I did what I could with what I had. This is as far as I got...

I laid down the remainder of my fiberglass cloth. Then I had an unopened pack of fiberglass mat, which I've been saving for the cod piece and the torso, so I opened it and cut some pieces and got that in too. The resin is curing as I type this, so I have yet to feel how strong it is with the multiple layers, but I imagine it will be quite strong.

So, tomorrow, I'll have to head out to pick up some supplies. I think tonight I'll focus on electronics for the thighs and the forearms.

Keep watching, there may be another update tonight.
  20. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 8, 2012, 10:32 PM - #269

Ok then. Got some electronics work done. I tried something new and it took a little longer than I had anticipated, and I only had one switch I could use, so I'll have to add that to my list of things to pick up tomorrow.

Anyway, I started with the right thigh. I cut a small mat board strip about 2" long and 1/4" wide and installed 4 LEDs. Then I glued a piece of mat board about 3/4" wide to it to create a cover. Then I glued the assembly into place...

...and tested that circuit (for the 5th or 6th time since I had built it)...

It looked pretty good, so I built another assembly, glued it into place and completed the wiring. The new thing I tried was adding in strips of craft foam to cover the wires and the assemblies in order to keep the inside of the thigh wire-free.

That way, no wires or anything would snag as I put the thigh on. The battery switch was mounted into place just below the top ridge, and the switch up through the same ridge also ensuring that they would be out of the way...

...And the completed thigh...

Now I've got a huge mess to clean up.

Regarding the cod, for some reason the resin I used to fiberglass it is still very sticky. I may have to mix up some resin and brush it on over top of the fiberglass tomorrow before I continue glassing the cod. I've never had this sort of trouble with resin before, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Anyway, that's it for now. Let me know what you think!!!
  21. Aug 8, 2012, 10:53 PM - #270

Oooh pretty lights! No seriously nice job man!
  22. 405th Midwest Regiment Member thorn696's Avatar
    Aug 9, 2012, 6:24 AM - #271

Finished paint looks awesome. Love you're technical skill in detailing each part as you go along.
  23. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Mstruvmgc's Xbox Gamertag Mstruvmgc
    Aug 9, 2012, 6:26 AM - #272

wow man so much stuff you have done since i last looked lol. Very nice! I love it all. GReat job
  24. 405th Southern Regiment Member vshore100's Avatar
    vshore100's Xbox Gamertag Vshore100
    Aug 9, 2012, 6:55 AM - #273

You're lit up like Christmas, lol! Nice work on the thigh man!
  25. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Aug 9, 2012, 8:02 AM - #274

Originally Posted by vshore100 View Post
    You're lit up like Christmas, lol! Nice work on the thigh man!
    Very appropriate, considering the LEDs were taken from a strand of Christmas tree lights!
    Aug 9, 2012, 11:19 AM - #275

Awesome amount of effort. Love the green color choice as well. Waiting for complete pics!