Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ng31

Jr Member
I know there have been endless requests for these, so I decided to start digging around for them.

For someone who had done a model for them, but never got around to un-folding the model, so I took it, un-folded it, and scaled it (or at least, to as best of my knowledge...made it close to the same size as my MC helmet).

Anyways, here is Thomas' helmet - http://rapidshare.com/files/102836441/thomas.pdo.html

Guy's helmet -
http://rapidshare.com/files/102904775/guy.pdo.html

Screens of the pattern :

daftscreenqs1.jpg

guyscreende6.jpg

Please, let me know if you start putting this together because I'm curious of how the scale is...it *should* fit my head, but I haven't started it yet (working on an EOD helm currently).

I'll add Guy's later...maybe tonight.

Have fun!

Thanks for posting the file, I've printed it and am assebling now :)
I tweaked it a little before printing (set angles to 165° and arranged it all for A4) and resized it to 27cm just to be safe... I've done the jaw and visor so far and it fits pretty well, will upload some pics once I'm finished.

Guy .pdo added.

The scaling on it is strange though...I have a feeling the only way to get a good fit is to actually test and error it...because I can't figure it out...at least, properly. Let me know if anyone has any success with it.

Also, I would highly suggest not doing the very small "screw" pieces on the side from paper...they *will* be tough to do.

Now the only challenge is to find some monster visor that'll fit this...

Plastic fishbowl or something? :lol:

Yeah these are pretty new. I frequent another papercraft board, and these have been a long time coming.

Nicktendo said:
Now the only challenge is to find some monster visor that'll fit this...

Plastic fishbowl or something? :lol:

Yeah these are pretty new. I frequent another papercraft board, and these have been a long time coming.

Yeah, I found the models on /po/, but the original poster didn't unfold them, so I took the liberty to do it.

Also, I would suggest vacuum forming for guy...and either painting (no vision) or a dark tinted plastic (little vision). Either way, it won't be easy...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down Loaded these myself. I'm not ready to hit them, but this has my interest. I'll add it to the list after I finish ODST. Super Kewl stuff!!!! I'm going to listen to some Daft Punk now. LATER!!

Cool, thanks for posting Guy's helmet as well :)

Quick heads up for anyone doing Thomas' helmet, the ear pieces have flipped faces so the folds that you see on the paper are actually reversed (mountain is now valley, valley is now mountain) which means you need to reverse the folds by hand as you're assembling it but only on the ear pieces, everything else is fine.

Belakor said:
Cool, thanks for posting Guy's helmet as well :)

Quick heads up for anyone doing Thomas' helmet, the ear pieces have flipped faces so the folds that you see on the paper are actually reversed (mountain is now valley, valley is now mountain) which means you need to reverse the folds by hand as you're assembling it but only on the ear pieces, everything else is fine.

Thanks for the heads up...how is everything else coming along? I started one tonight (EOD is now on hold lol), and I just finished the visor...so far so good.

I'm cutting it out right now. I changed a lot of how it was folded, and I re-unfolded it. Got it reduced to about 12 pages with 28 cm scale. But I won't post it unless I get your permission. :p I also think i'm gonna do a different file for the ears...I don't really like how they're laid out; I think it's something messed up with the model. But good find and great way to start things out!

Finished mine up a little while ago, still needs support struts and the ear pieces look a little far out but that's an easy fix:
th_IMG_1136.jpg

Thanks again for posting these 4ng31 :) Will start on Guy's helmet this weekend...

Dark Rogue said:
I'm cutting it out right now. I changed a lot of how it was folded, and I re-unfolded it. Got it reduced to about 12 pages with 28 cm scale. But I won't post it unless I get your permission. :p I also think i'm gonna do a different file for the ears...I don't really like how they're laid out; I think it's something messed up with the model. But good find and great way to start things out!

Yeah, I'm sure it's not perfect, but it is a start, and with the know how of some of the members here, I'm sure all the kinks can be worked out (through Pep or through the actual building/molding process).

Also, if you want you can post a better ear section. Like I said, I got these models where the original makers had been to busy to unfold them and no one really knew how to scale them properly...so I took a stab at it. You can feel free to modify or change anything you like. It shall benefit all of us in the end (that's if you chose to share XP).

Also, good start there Belakor...I should have mine together either sometime tonight, or early tomorrow.

I haven't had a chance to try folding the ears yet(the main problem I think i'm gonna have is scale) but i'm wondering how you anticipate this being all put together. Referring to Thomas's helmet.

Dark Rogue said:
I haven't had a chance to try folding the ears yet(the main problem I think i'm gonna have is scale) but i'm wondering how you anticipate this being all put together. Referring to Thomas's helmet.

I basically made my own "tabs" by sizing the existing pieces that were there, scored it, folded, and glued it as basically just a tab.

My helmet is almost complete as well...just need to put the left ear on and I'll get pics up.

Alright, it's together:

helmet1py3.jpg

Noticeable things I changed from pattern to final version:

1) Removed .5" from the ear pieces length...the cartoon monkey ears weren't cutting it for me XP

2) Added tabs to connect all the "solo" pieces together that weren't in the actual pattern.

3) Yes, all the folds on the ear pieces are backwards as stated earlier - valley are now mountain and mountain are folds on those pieces...made that mistake for the inner circle on the right ear, but fixed easily.

The pattern does work, but there are some pieces that are questionable (mostly the solid pieces in between the ear pieces that are completely useless, and also the way some of the ear extension pieces are split. It does need some adjustment, mostly the ear pieces, but it does work.

Looks good! It's not gonna fit on my head. I'd probably only use it for display anyway.

dp1.jpg

dp2.jpg

Yours also looks a lot cleaner than mine... I had some trouble attaching the pieces onto each other anyway. I'm still working on ears, but I'm not sure that they'll turn out much better anyway.

dpe-1.png

That's what I had last night, i've changed it around a bit now though. Still can't get the open edges out around the center.

This is what I have now :

cp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back