Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 19, 2011, 8:23 PM - Reach EOD helmet #1

Hey everybody, Im going to attempt to finish my Reach EOD helmet, I pep'd this thing when Ironium Customs release the model, its been sitting in my closet ever since so today while I was looking for the hand plates for my Hayabusa build, I found it laying there and decided to finish hardening it, I don't think I have seen one of these Reach versions completed on the forums yet but I could be wrong, This one shouldn't be to bad to finish up, looks nice and straight, plus it has a box type shape which for means easier with body work, It took me about 5 days to get my Busa helmet smoothed out and that one has all kinds of crazy shapes so this one hopefully will be alot easier, here are a few pics of it hardened I just wanted to show it before I do the body work.

Front view, It looks kind of funky with the air filter attached

Side view, still looks long and funky

Another side view

Resined outside harden with smooth cast 321, inside pic for those of you who must see the inside of the helmet

And here is a pic of the reach helmet next to a H3 EOD, which I may end up finishing up while working on the reach one and get both done, and for some reason the H3 version reminds me of Planet of the Apes

Thanks for checking this out, will post updates
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Blog Entries
    May 19, 2011, 8:47 PM - #2

looks great, keep up the fantastic work =D
    Jun 7, 2011, 8:09 PM - #3

Have some update pics finally, I have been slowly working on this helmet, got it all smoothed out, added details, cut the visor part out, I think its about ready for paint, sorry I didn't take progress pics but you probably don't want to see the bondo sanding process, I think the end results are better, I have noticed that there are some diffrences in this model versus the game model which makes it a little bit tricky to add certain details and get the look right, the air filters are too long but im not complaining, let me know what you guys think

Thanks for looking
    Jun 7, 2011, 9:30 PM - #4

Wow that looks really amazing good. What kind of tool (or cutting blade) that you use to cut the visor area?
    Jun 7, 2011, 9:48 PM - #5

Originally Posted by Hyperballistik View Post
    Have some update pics finally, I have been slowly working on this helmet, got it all smoothed out, added details, cut the visor part out, I think its about ready for paint, sorry I didn't take progress pics but you probably don't want to see the bondo sanding process, I think the end results are better, I have noticed that there are some diffrences in this model versus the game model which makes it a little bit tricky to add certain details and get the look right, the air filters are too long but im not complaining, let me know what you guys think

Thanks for looking

Wow, great sculpting on with bondo work. Beautifully smooth surfaces with crisp edges. Nice work man
    Jun 7, 2011, 10:30 PM - #6

Originally Posted by sandy1973 View Post
    Wow that looks really amazing good. What kind of tool (or cutting blade) that you use to cut the visor area?
    Thanks, I used a dremel with the cutting wheel, cut out as close to the edge as I can, then I use a sanding wheel and smooth it dow to the edge

Originally Posted by Starvinartist80 View Post
    Wow, great sculpting on with bondo work. Beautifully smooth surfaces with crisp edges. Nice work man
    Thanks man
    Jun 9, 2011, 8:09 PM - #7

Another update
    Started the painting process a few days ago, Yes I painted it yellow, I had the can just sitting in my garage and since I really don't plan to use this helmet for anything but to practice my bodywork and painting on, I decided what the hell why not. I still need to add a few more details especially with the air filter areas, I need to weather it and scratch it up a little and add the visor. So here is what I have so far, I probably will not get a chance to work on it for a few days so hopefully my next update its finished, So how does the school bus yellow look? thanks for looking

Blog Entries
    Jun 9, 2011, 8:25 PM - #8

DAM!!!!! that looks awesome man fantastic work and it looks like you worked very very fast =D
    Jun 9, 2011, 8:34 PM - #9

Really like the colors on that, nice and defined, and the black makes the yellow pop out real nice. Great work!

What is the pep inside of the helmet though? Kind of looks like a skull.
    Jun 9, 2011, 9:05 PM - #10

Originally Posted by Darkrider9 View Post
    Really like the colors on that, nice and defined, and the black makes the yellow pop out real nice. Great work!

What is the pep inside of the helmet though? Kind of looks like a skull.
    Yeah its a skull, it was the second pep I ever attempted thats why its all out of wack and full of pen marks, I saw it laying on a shelf and wanted to see if it would fit in the helmet, thanks for the comments guys

Heres the skull in case you were wondering
    Jun 9, 2011, 9:58 PM - #11

That helmet looks nice!
    Looks armory-brand authentic :P
    Jun 9, 2011, 11:34 PM - #12

Awesome helmet. Your bondo work is exceptional and the details in the muzzle area look stellar. Unfortunately the skull reminds me of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...which makes me slightly sad. Great helmet though!
    Jun 10, 2011, 12:02 AM - #13

Originally Posted by Satchmo III View Post
    Awesome helmet. Your bondo work is exceptional and the details in the muzzle area look stellar. Unfortunately the skull reminds me of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...which makes me slightly sad. Great helmet though!
    Thanks man, and I have to agree its an ugly skull. it was my second pep I ever built so I just keep it around I can't seem to throw it away
    Jun 10, 2011, 12:09 AM - #14

Awesome job man! Very clean and smooth, did you rondo the outside?
    Last edited by TD2253; Jun 10, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
    Jun 10, 2011, 12:38 AM - #15

Originally Posted by TD2253 View Post
    Awesome job man! Very clean and smooth, did you rondo the outside?
    No just sanded down the pep lines, then thin coats of bondo and lots of sanding
    Jun 10, 2011, 12:53 AM - #16

Originally Posted by Hyperballistik View Post
    Thanks man, and I have to agree its an ugly skull. it was my second pep I ever built so I just keep it around I can't seem to throw it away
    So make yourself a Bungie helmet out of it. It'll almost be invisible behind the visor until you show it off!
  18. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Kyre's Avatar
    Jun 10, 2011, 1:02 AM - #17

Or just keep it for mounting helmets on. After all, a Spartan would probably use something suitably awesome like a skull to keep their helmet on, particularly old helmets that they didn't use, such as a Mk IV helm after the upgrade to MkV.
    Jun 13, 2011, 8:24 PM - #18

Small update...........

I usually don't mess with anything on Mondays because Its my day off to relax but decided I would do a little work on the helmet, I know its nothing to noticable but I'll post it anyways

added the black detail thing to the ear part area, I have no clue what the purpose of it is but its in the refrence pics so I added it

added the little silver circle things on the air filters

Added the black area at the bottom of the helmet to kind of match the refrence photos, on the pep model the helmet is missing this lower detail also in the ref pics it looks like its made of rubber or something similar, I just made it out of eva foam, it fills out that area and makes the helmet look more complete

thats all I did today, I have to finish up details in the back parts of the air filters, also I still need to blackwash the helmet and give it the scratched up look, and install the visor, hopefully I will get it finished up tomorrow
    Thanks for looking
    Jun 13, 2011, 8:32 PM - #19

What the...wait, how did I miss this?? Hypers, yet another incredible work of art. Mad props for your smoothing ability, it's just phenomenal to see how nice of a surface finish you get on your pieces. Your excellent painting abilities just tops it all off. Love the little warning labels you put on there. They seem like they're from an existing product, mind sharing where you got them from?

Also, I got to ask: got a suit to go with it?
    Last edited by Spitfire22V; Jun 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM.
    Jun 13, 2011, 8:38 PM - #20

Wow, that is NICE
    Seeing helmets like this one is very inspirational
    You did an excellent job with this!
    Jun 13, 2011, 8:48 PM - #21

Originally Posted by Spitfire22V View Post
    What the...wait, how did I miss this?? Hypers, yet another incredible work of art. Mad props for your smoothing ability, it's just phenomenal to see how nice of a surface finish you get on your pieces. Your excellent painting abilities just tops it all off. Love the little warning labels you put on there. They seem like they're from an existing product, mind sharing where you got them from?

Also, I got to ask: got a suit to go with it?
    Thanks Spitfire, I found a really good refrence pic and what I thought were originally little gray painted areas were actually warning labels, so I searched online for warning labels found one that looked close to the refrence pic then printed it onto a shipping label, sprayed that with a clear coat to protect it from rubbing off the ink, also to scale it to the helmet I imported the image to the pep file put the label to the part it needed to be stuck to and adjusted its size to fit that part, it was pretty simple and it actually worked but for the USNC logos and the EOD symbol on the front of the helmet Im going to use water transfer paper for that part (the same stuff that comes with plastic models to apply decals) because I need it to be transparent, hope that helps, also I do have most of the parts pep'ed for a reach suit but Im not sure if I want to finish it, Im just finising up the helmet because I peped it when it was first released and its been sitting in my closet for months, so basically im just working on it for practice, I really have no plans for the helmet, But I needed a break from the Busa which still is a work in progress, It was actually nice to work on something diffrent
    Last edited by Hyperballistik; Jun 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM.
    Jun 13, 2011, 8:55 PM - #22

Dude!!! This helmet is so bad ***!! Awesome job. I second what The Sir Tsaboc has spoken!
    Jun 13, 2011, 9:02 PM - #23

Hyper man you gotta slow down...I'm only a day behind on this post and your already this far.....

It's turning out great man. Even the teacher in me is speachless about how much you've acomplished in such a short time. Keep it up.
    Jun 13, 2011, 9:52 PM - #24

Thanks everyone for all the comments, They help keep the motivation going and that helps alot, glad you guys like the helmet
  26. 405th Midwest Regiment Member thorn696's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2011, 5:35 AM - #25

Elite all the way.