RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on the version for 3D printing and I was wondering what file type you want me to give you. Since you mentioned Autodesk Inventor I looked up some of the file types it imports and I see it will import .iges and .step. Would you be interested in either of those formats, or is there another file format you prefer?

Let's try to do a (hopefully) universal file type that will be usable by the majority of 3D printer users. I did a test run on the Cameo of the HD antecubital detail and it looks like it will handle the minuscule parts so I've uploaded the .pdo files for ND, MD, and HD forearms and posted download links in their separate construction thread found in my signature.

Forearms17a.jpg

Forearms17b.jpg

I think when I build mine I'll not highlight the score lines with red/blue Cameo pens because their linewidth is slightly thicker than the score lines and it obscures the scoring on very small parts.

> those tiny fold lines

NOPE. Not even once. Believe me, I think the work you've done here is astounding, but.... good grief, I'm no sadist.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not really that bad - 100mm, 10mm, 1mm, 0.1mm…it's all the same shapes, just smaller. I assemble under magnification, and you'll see the results after I resume the build.

LOL, when I glanced at the first picture, I thought I was looking at the pieces laid out on tile flooring... you know, the 12"x12" kind?! Then I saw the next picture and it all came into scale. OMG! That is sweet. I still can't wait to get one of them buggers!

LOL, when I glanced at the first picture, I thought I was looking at the pieces laid out on tile flooring... you know, the 12"x12" kind?! Then I saw the next picture and it all came into scale. OMG! That is sweet. I still can't wait to get one of them buggers!

The grid you see on the Silhouette mat (that the pieces are on) is on a 1" pitch. I've already made one set of these on the previous design, so I'm not at all intimated at making the new pair. Besides, it's not the size - it's how it's used….lol

Personally I would much rather have an Stl. file of this detail.

SirPalesAlot has posted a download link of the forearm files in his thread, and a .stl file for 3D printing the detail is included. :)

I'm currently working on a Cameo-friendly version of forearm unfold that I'll be building.

Although this thread may appear to have gone on life support, it's "not quite dead yet" and I am indeed working diligently on a video for cutting/scoring Pepakura files with a Silhouette Cameo. Trust me, the wait is worth it - the project is coming along very nicely.

Replacement antecubital detail files are nearly ready for uploading. Yes, that was plural. Of course there's the mega-detail version (high polygon count) for SirPalesAlot's model, but I've also created versions for the nugget HD forearms, the flyingsquirrel MD forearms, and the robogenesis ND forearms. That's four versions of the detail parts with varying levels of complexity, from moderately easy….to near sub-atomic parts. :) Each of the models matches their associated forearms scale, making it very easy to size them for your build, and they include the full surrounding parts to directly replace the affected forearm parts without needing to modify their unfolding. I think they've turned out great and much better match the game photos. Here's a peek at the HD version, which I finished unfolding this evening.

ImageHD.jpg

These flyingsquirrel MD forearms... Where would one find those? Also, this is looking great. You have way more patience and finesse than any mortal I know :) Keep up the great work, looking forward to eventually seeing this finished!

These flyingsquirrel MD forearms... Where would one find those?

I had the damnedest time tracking down those too, so I uploaded a copy of the original file once I finally found it and there's a download link in my other build thread (and a link to that is in my signature). All the "official" forearms models are available there in one place with their associated replacement detail files, but I haven't posted links to SirPalesAlot's model (because he's "still not done yet?" with edits to it). (Not at all complaining about that, Sir, because I've seen how they're looking and the new edits are so worth the wait.) I realize that some people are able to finish an entire costume in the time it takes me to make one part (or one tutorial video!), but I think the results of my finished work justify the time spent on them.

I had the damnedest time tracking down those too, so I uploaded a copy of the original file once I finally found it and there's a download link in my other build thread (and a link to that is in my signature). All the "official" forearms models are available there in one place with their associated replacement detail files, but I haven't posted links to SirPalesAlot's model (because he's "still not done yet?" with edits to it). (Not at all complaining about that, Sir, because I've seen how they're looking and the new edits are so worth the wait.) I realize that some people are able to finish an entire costume in the time it takes me to make one part (or one tutorial video!), but I think the results of my finished work justify the time spent on them.

Oh, great! I wanted to stray away from the LD ones on the Halo costuming wiki, and this seems better, maybe a tad challenging, but I think I'm up for it. Thanks!

Just popping by to say work is still progressing, and....I finally got to the point in my Cameo project that I had to do the Edge ID experiment - and, it was a moderate success. In the photos below, edge IDs were printed from Pepakura (and that was the only thing printed from Pepakura) with all the rest (fold line highlighting, scoring, and cutting) done using Silhouette Studio. That's the good news. The bad news is that it wasn't easy to do the edge IDs, there's high probability for misalignment (so they can only be used for their intended purpose - edge identification - and not for alignment), and just like printing the parts for manual cutting, IDs overlap and become illegible in some areas. It's quicker to just skip the Edge IDs altogether and use the computer pep model for edge references. And, something else awesome, as in "full-sized" awesome will be coming along this way too.....

Cameo+Edge+IDs+1.jpg

This is just not good enough yet for me...
Cameo+Edge+IDs+2.jpg

Update: I got a few ideas tonight after thinking over the results of my testing, and I might have come up with a way to streamline the Edge IDs flow and improve their precision on the cut parts. Will be experimenting with that tomorrow night.

Okay, for the Cameo users out there who haven't yet "upgraded" their Silhouette Studio application from version 2 to version 3 - Don't. Version 3 is VERY buggy, and although Silhouette America is supposedly working on updates to fix the problems, version 2 doesn't have any issues - but it does have features which were taken away in version 3. Fortunately, they have a "legacy" link on their download page so I was able to revert back to version 2 which is a much more stable application, at least for now.

Success! I now have an accurate, reliable, and most importantly - repeatable, workflow for automated cutting with Edge IDs. In the photos below, nothing was printed from Pepakura. Everything you see was done directly from Silhouette Studio. Now, I personally don't pep with highlighted fold lines or Edge IDs (they both just get in the way on smaller parts), but recognizing that many of you do and the reliability of the automation flow I've come up with, there will be a segment in the video I'm putting together to show how this is done. It ends up being not very difficult, but there are indeed extra steps to be taken for Edge IDs which aren't needed if just scoring and cutting.

This was printed, highlighted, scored, and cut all from Silhouette Studio in less than 5 minutes. Granted, there are only 3 parts on the page, but I can tell you it would have taken me a bit longer than 5 minutes to do all this by hand (and, I didn't need to pick up that X-acto knife which I'm convinced is trying to kill me):
Cameo+Edge+IDs+3.jpg

Here is a closeup showing the Edge ID alignment to the edges. Pretty good, eh? There are no printed cut lines, as they're not needed - the way I'm cutting uses the raw vector data rather than printed and optically-scanned cut lines:
Cameo+Edge+IDs+4.jpg

You can see how much cutting I've been up to by looking at the mat around the parts. It took a number of different methods to come up with a solution that's easy and quick:
Cameo+Edge+IDs+5.jpg

The video is coming, I promise. And trust me - it's worth the wait...

U are awesome! Probably I would not have patience to do that xD

Thanks guys. However, I'm gonna be giving you all the Easy Button, which doesn't require near as much patience (unless you apply it to waiting for a machine to cut out your parts). All you'll need to do is size, send to the Cameo (vector data, not bitmap data), then fold and glue. But, this is Mother's Day weekend, so video editing resumes tomorrow. Now go visit or phone your mom! :)

Ive been considering buying a cutting machine to make assembling quicker and hopefully easier, would you recommend one? do they only cut out the parts or can they score lines as well?

Also, can they cut any size? i mean the helmet im working on is the Mk VII HD so its very detailed therefore smaller parts, would it be possible to cut these out with one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back