Props Halo 3 detachable turret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
Hey everyone! Since I've decided to re-build my H3 suit I figured I'd make a new weapon to wield as well. The options were a gravity hammer or a turret. I decided to make the turret first and here are all the progress pics I took along the way:
20150106_170358.jpg 20150106_193406.jpg 20150106_202235.jpg
First I got a couple of pvc pipes, one 4" pipe cut to 18" and three 1" pipes cut to 25" long. Then I got a 4" tko drain pipe to fit on the end and cut three 1" holes to fit the pipes through leaving the pipes 1" through the opening on the opposite side. I used a wood burner to heat that extra inch poking through and expanded it so it wouldn't slip back through the hole.
20150111_134041.jpg 20150111_154335.jpg 20150111_165119.jpg 20150111_170912.jpg
I flipped the pipes down, then poured it 1 cup of fiberglass resin and added the hardener. In the center I placed a 6" 1/4 bit extender for which the 11" flex bit can attach to. The third pic shows the flex bit attached as well as the drill that will spin the front barrels. The last pic is a progress shot done on the tripod that will be used as a base if it's set up.
20150111_231600.jpg
Just having a little fun. CHAINGUNS FOR HANDS!
20150111_203634.jpg20150111_234249.jpg20150113_001317.jpg
Made the 2 front guard plates out of foam as well as all the other accessory boxes and misc. Drilled out a 1" hole through the center of the 4" pipe at 5 1/2" back from the front edge. Then drilled a 1/4" hole through the center of a piece of 1" pipe, 6" long and fed it through the 1" hole. This 1/4" hole will hold the 6" extender bit on the barrel housing, and since I placed the 1" hole 5 1/2" back the 6" bit will just poke out the other side. This allows the 11" flex bit to lock onto the extender and also prevent the barrel housing from slipping off in the front.
20150118_025058.jpg20150118_231003.jpg20150118_231015.jpg
Paint it black, add some additional accessories and straps, and call it done! I picked up the fake bullets from Party City just last week. It's good to know they usually have some left over Halloween accessories all year round. I may do some additional work on the velcro straps that currently hold the guard plates on.
20150119_203556.jpg20150119_204005.jpg
Here's a pic of the turret broken down into all the pieces. I designed it this way so I can transport it a lot easier. All together it weighs roughly 20lbs and has two drills as triggers. The drills can be swapped so I can get double the usage time out of the batteries. $10 drills from Harbor Freight was a great deal. The final pic is of what I use to attach and detach from the tripod base. It was originally designed for cameras to attach to the tripod, but I fitted a special mounting bolt on the bottom of the 4" pipe that allows the piece to attach.

Well that's the build, hope everyone likes it. =)

oh my....

now I've to work on mine again thanks... but really I was having a hard time with the cuts but you made it super easy thanks.

Well know I know what to make for my buddy's birthday. I think he'll appreciate one to go with his jeep.

So I just noticed that most of the first pictures were not loading properly. Sorry about that, and they have now since been fixed.

So I just noticed that most of the first pictures were not loading properly. Sorry about that, and they have now since been fixed.
A mutual friend of ours had to pull up a picture of this weapon before I actually believed it. Can't wait to see it at Sci-Fi Valley Con.

okay quick question do you know how to build the tri pod section to this and if so can you tell me because I've also got to reach chain guns that need stands as well... and one other thing do you know how to unbend pipe without a heat gun, my reach sniper looks like a Spartan bent it down a little.

I would say put it in a vise and bend it back. I had an old defective aluminum baseball bat that was bent and we were able to straighten it back out by doing that

I would say put it in a vise and bend it back. I had an old defective aluminum baseball bat that was bent and we were able to straighten it back out by doing that

its pvc not metal. only reason it got like it has is because I had a mini gun sitting next to it and it didn't weight to much and I left it on a back burner for about a month and it bent a little and I really don't want to redo the barrel details again.

okay quick question do you know how to build the tri pod section to this and if so can you tell me because I've also got to reach chain guns that need stands as well... and one other thing do you know how to unbend pipe without a heat gun, my reach sniper looks like a Spartan bent it down a little.

Here's what I used for attaching the tripod to the bottom of the turret: CIMG3630.JPG
I forget the exact name for the bolt anchor, but you can find it in Home Depot's special screw section. The one I got was for 1/4" bolts, which fit the size of the screw head on the detachable part of the tripod (Normally used for cameras with screw ports on the bottom). I drilled a hole smaller than the widest point of the anchor and shoved it down from the inside so the widest part got stuck. Slapped some epoxy on it and let it dry.

As for rebending the PVC, I'm not sure. A hairdryer might be able to get it warm enough to bend it back, but without any heat source it won't move and you run the risk of breaking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back