HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial *REVISED*

HEY 405th!

I have revised my scaling tutorial and tried to make it a little more in depth so that it is more understandable for those that are still trying to fully figure out and understand how to measure themselves so that everything fits. :) For now I have just the images posted, and may post more tips, but for now, this should help. :)

UPDATED: 3/14/14

Currently, this is mostly for the MK VI (Halo 3) armor style. I intend on creating a seperate one for a Halo Reach measure guide. :)

2hd60e9.jpg

e9vpr9.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend that you use reference images and study just how the armor pieces are supposed to look when worn. If you happen to own one of the 12" McFarlane figures, that will work good too. It's good to study the armor and see how everything lines up on the body so you can make sure that you get everything to look right. :)

Pepakura Scaling
Okay before you get ahead of yourself, you need to understand how the layout works in pepakura. When you open a model, by default, the image will be shown on an angle:
2ptdyyp.jpg

You can see here what each part is. Height is obviously top to bottom, width is side to side and depth is front to back.

In this image is the HD MK VI helmet. I have listed how pepakura works. You got the height, width and depth. Depth is rarely used when it comes to scaling since when you measure yourself, you don't really measure for depth. You are normally measuring for width or height. It ALWAYS depends on how the model looks by default when you load it in pepakura. Just because you measured yourself for the height, it DOES NOT mean that the model will be laid out the same way. Sometimes what you measure for height, may be the measurement for width on the model itself. MOST modelers have it set up so that when you load an object in pepakura, the object is facing the correct way so that you don't end up loading a thigh piece that is laying on it's side instead of straight up and down. :)

Here is a better view showing the width and height of a model:
2hnvqlt.jpg

With all helmets, THIS is what you will mostly be focusing on is the width and height. When you measured your OWN head, you measured for HEIGHT. That is also the scale you will be focusing on when you scale the model in pepakura to fit YOU! :p

Now, when you go to change the scale to make the piece so that it is best suited for you click on "2D Menu" at the top then in the pop down menu, go down to where it says "Change Scale" then to the right, another little drop down menu will appear and you will see where it says "Scale Factor...*. You want to click on that.
14n05n5.jpg

Once you click on "Scale Factor...* a new little window will appear:
23hlkas.jpg

You can clearly see that there are 3 boxes and each contain a box to put YOUR measurement in. Height (although it says Hight, it's the same thing, just misspelled, don't know why, don't ask. I didn't make the program :p), Width and Depth. Where it says "Scale", ignore that. Just pretend it's not even there. lol You will ONLY be plcing measurements in ONE of the boxes. You DO NOT need to worry about the measurements for all boxes since the others will change automatically so that it stays in proportion. You can NOT even change each one individually. It's not set up that way. YOu only need to worry about ONE measurement.

A LITTLE POINTER: Going back to image I posted for the measurement diagram, I have it as so:
1. Head - height
2. Waist - width
3. Forearm - height
4. Shoulder - height
5. Thigh - height
6. Shin - height
7. Boot - depth
8. Chest - width
9. Handplate - height

Now as I mentioned earlier, just because that is what you measure for, it does NOT mean you will place your measurement in that box in pepakura. It all depends on how the model is set by default when you load it in pepakura! I can not stress this enough!!! XD It's very important. :p As long as the file loads the way it will look when worn (for most pieces) you will be placing your measurements in the correct matching dimension boxes in pepakura.

Printing And Setting Up Paper
Now this is the final step after you have measured all your stuff, converted the measurements to mm and now it's time to print!

I know that we have members that live in other countries and use different paper sizes. Since letter and A4 paper types seem to be the 2 that are used, I have shown below examples for both of them.

First things first. At the top menu in pepakura, click on "File" and in the drop down menu, go down to "Print and Paper Settings".
2r4j5s7.jpg

Click on "Print and Paper Settings" and that will bring up a new little window. This is where you determine your paper type.
2ahcdmv.jpg

In this window, there are ONLY 3 areas you need to concern yourself with. The other stuff is already set up by default and is set up just fine. You only need to worry about setting it up for the type of paper you are printing on so that you know your pieces will be printed out correctly.

The VERY first box you see at the top is "Paper Size". This is where you select YOUR paper type. Just click on the little box to the right and a drop down menu will appear with a number of paper types. Just find your paper type, click on it and that will now be the chosen paper type that you will be printing on! :)

The next section you want to go to is where it says "Side Margin (mm)" and "Top/Bottom Margin (mm)" and this will need to be setup properly for your chosen paper type as well or else your pieces may not print out right.

For Letter type paper, yours should look like the following:
2z50vgy.jpg

You will notice that both margin settings are set to 5.

For A4 type paper, yours should look like so:
1zegup5.jpg

You will see that both margin settings are set to 15

After you pick your paper type, (if it was not already set to your paper type) your layout of the pieces to the right side in pepakura may change. Models are set up by default and depending on who unfolded the model to make it possible to build it, may have saved it as Letter or A4 already. When you choose your paper type and if YOUR paper type already appears in the box, you don't need to worry about anything, but just double check that the margins area set up right since I have had a few cases for myself where the margins were not set right.

If your paper type is letter and it's already set to letter, then you can go right ahead and print. :) BUT....if your paper type is letter and the model is set for A4 paper, this WILL change the layout of the pieces and you will need to rearrange them to get the pieces to fit on one piece of paper. The same goes for A4 paper users, just the other way around.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!
Before you go printing ANYTHING, you want to make sure you have the numbers that appear on the pieces so that you know what piece connects to what piece. To do so, just click on "2D Menu" at the top and look for where it says "Show Edge ID". If there is a little check mark to the left of it, you are good to go. If not, just click on it and the check mark will appear.
2lkxile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite useful Goddess! Even though I know how mosto f this work, I still found a few tips that'll come in handy later :D

Methinks sticky worthy

Wow, this is a great tutorial, and a great compliment to mine! I feel that someone can read mine, and then if they still want more info, just come read this one. Excellent effort. :)

Great info!!Now I just use the measurement of the 3d models and stopped trying to scale them. If this was a must read when I joined, you would have saved me a few hours (or days) of trying.

Quite useful Goddess! Even though I know how mosto f this work, I still found a few tips that'll come in handy later :D

Methinks sticky worthy
I kind of think it might be sticky worthy too! XD hehe It IS Pretty informative and the new people that join up could really use this. I did intend to ONLY discuss scaling, but I kind of turned it into a whole "pepakura: scale to print" tutorial. lol

As for everyone else, I'm glad you like my tutorial. :) LOTS of typing went into the making of this tut. haha And lots of screenshots. lol

are those my hunter files in your quick links?
under the setting up paper heading..

great tutorial, very helpful
do use this method myself and it works quite well for me

CJ

Pepakura

The Pepakura Viewer 3 I have installed does not have the 2D menu to change the scale I tried reinstalling it but it did not work any ideas what I did wrong?

Awesome stuff, great job. Will help me loads, sticky worthy imo!

EDIT: A quick question. The Reach Mark V biceps and forearms are different to the Mark VI. Thinking from off of the top of my head, I'm sure the forearm doesn't overlap the elbow (I may be wrong). Where would you recommend measuring to so that you would get an accurate and comfortable fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back