Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031
Subscribe
    Jul 28, 2014, 11:39 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #751

there were tons of Spartans at comic con!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Jul 29, 2014, 5:47 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #752

Can't believe I missed you and the other spartans at AX! Maybe next year...great job and suit and especially the undersuit...that must have been a godsend for both flexibility and not being roasted alive lol
  4. 405th Southwest Regiment Member WandererTJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WandererTJ's Xbox Gamertag Wanderer128
    Jul 29, 2014, 11:36 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #753

Originally Posted by XenoPhanatiK View Post
    Can't believe I missed you and the other spartans at AX! Maybe next year...great job and suit and especially the undersuit...that must have been a godsend for both flexibility and not being roasted alive lol
    This is the kind of thing that we, the 405th, need to work on as a community.
    [/hijack]
    Jul 29, 2014, 4:13 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #754

There are not words that I can express that have not already been said, but this is absolutely amazing... Very well done....
    Jul 29, 2014, 7:34 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #755

I have a question for OP and whoever happened to be a spartan at AX: How did you get past or deal with weapons check in? The rules were pretty strict... i.e. If the gun has a futuristic silouhette (star trek phaser, oddly shaped plasma rifle) its fine, but if it looks realistic or anything like today's guns, it must be painted 50% neon. Seeing as how the spartans' pistols and all of the UNSC aresnal is "modern" enough (bullpup layout, etc.) compared to today's definition of guns, I'm interested. Really want to try something like this for next year!
    Aug 4, 2014, 8:28 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #756

Do you have a link to the file that you used for the chest plate. i would really appreciate it. I`m struggling with my armor. Getting by though with the help of your posts of your armor. Its amazing! thanks
  8. New Recruit
    Aug 13, 2014, 9:03 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #757

Just went through this entire thread in one sitting. Amazing work! Takes dedication to sort out so many details and execute them like this.

A couple quick questions for you (sorry if I missed where you might have already answered these):

What did you use to apply the blue paint and glaze coatings? It looks sponged maybe? Also how did you achieve the weathering - for instance the white thigh stripe looks like it was evenly applied then maybe partially sponged off. Same thing for the corners on the shoulder pieces, sponging the blue to expose the silver paint underneath. Looks expertly done, anyway!

When joining sections of foam together at an angle it seems like you'd need to bevel the two surfaces that mate if you wish to achieve a contour. Did you do all this by hand? It seems like it would be easy to over/under-do the bevel and wind up with an incorrect outer shape.

Truly great work here. Fantastic!
  9. 405th Southwest Regiment Member Termhn's Avatar
    Aug 13, 2014, 5:21 PM - KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #758

Originally Posted by scoodidabop View Post

When joining sections of foam together at an angle it seems like you'd need to bevel the two surfaces that mate if you wish to achieve a contour. Did you do all this by hand? It seems like it would be easy to over/under-do the bevel and wind up with an incorrect outer shape.
    Yes, you do have to bevel the edges to achieve a contour. Most people just estimate it. If you have to correct it, you can use a barrel sander on a dremel to remove a little bit to correct it. Or, you can use a method that drack, one of the members on here, uses. You cut a very extreme bevel as if you wanted an extreme edge. Then, you glue just the very edge together so you have an "adjustable angle." To fix it at whatever angle, take a little scrap wedge (the size isn't important) and put a healthy amount of glue in the gap and insert the wedge, when the glue dries it should hold its shape. That just takes a long time.
    Last edited by Termhn; Aug 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
  10. 405th Colonial Regiment Member
    405th Pacific Regiment Member
    Aug 23, 2014, 9:43 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #759

Yikes! I've been majorly neglecting responding to this thread. Sorry! Life is lifey. Anyway…

The pictures I have up in this thread are actually from 2013, not 2014 but I think there was still a pretty good Spartan showing at SDCC this year (not sure about AX though). Hopefully the reorganization of the forum will help prevent missed meet ups in the future!!!

I have a question for OP and whoever happened to be a spartan at AX: How did you get past or deal with weapons check in? The rules were pretty strict... i.e. If the gun has a futuristic silouhette (star trek phaser, oddly shaped plasma rifle) its fine, but if it looks realistic or anything like today's guns, it must be painted 50% neon. Seeing as how the spartans' pistols and all of the UNSC aresnal is "modern" enough (bullpup layout, etc.) compared to today's definition of guns, I'm interested. Really want to try something like this for next year!
    I attended AX in 2013 only, so I'm not sure if they changed their restrictions in 2014. Some of the Spartans I was with at 2013 AX did have trouble and were required to tape off an entire side of their gun with blue tape (when posing for photos they just kept the taped side away from camera). This seemed to only apply to the larger weapons. For my pistol, they just put a tag on it and were ok with it…didn't totally make sense to me why the pistol was ok but the AR wasn't. Since then, I have added orange tape to the tip of my pistol because BCC required it, so it seems to vary from con to con.

Originally Posted by Runt-leader198 View Post
    Do you have a link to the file that you used for the chest plate. i would really appreciate it. I`m struggling with my armor. Getting by though with the help of your posts of your armor. Its amazing! thanks
    Sorry, but all of my armor was done freehand so there are no files! Hope you find something that works!

Originally Posted by scoodidabop View Post
    Just went through this entire thread in one sitting. Amazing work! Takes dedication to sort out so many details and execute them like this.

A couple quick questions for you (sorry if I missed where you might have already answered these):

What did you use to apply the blue paint and glaze coatings? It looks sponged maybe? Also how did you achieve the weathering - for instance the white thigh stripe looks like it was evenly applied then maybe partially sponged off. Same thing for the corners on the shoulder pieces, sponging the blue to expose the silver paint underneath. Looks expertly done, anyway!

Truly great work here. Fantastic!
    Thanks ! For the painting, yes I did it as you are describing with a sponge! Somewhere in the thread I posted an image showing the order that I applied the different colors…not sure which page it's on though…probably somewhere nearish to the end? For the foam questions, Termhn posted a good response! And yes, I did my beveling by hand, similar to drack's method.

------

A few weeks ago I went to Boston Comic Con and met up with @SniperWolf. Had a lot of fun and took some photos (some of you may have already seen these on FB).

From a build perspective, I don't have any further plans for this suit beyond minor wear and tear repairs. I do plan to continue wearing the Kat suit to cons and meeting up with other Spartans though…until it's time for a replacement .

-----
    As always, keep buildin' guys!
  11. 405th Southwest Regiment Member Termhn's Avatar
    Aug 23, 2014, 11:34 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #760

Awesome once again! Both of you look like you're pulled right outta the game

- Gray
  12. 405th Colonial Regiment Member SniperWolf's Avatar
    SniperWolf's Xbox Gamertag Rockcrushin
    Aug 23, 2014, 11:57 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #761

Awwwwwe yeah, just wait soon more photo shoots to come! @LilTyrant any luck with those pics you guys were going to photoshop? I want to see the explosion one XD
  13. 405th Southwest Regiment Member Termhn's Avatar
    Aug 23, 2014, 4:35 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #762

Oooh explosion? Oh also if you need/want any help photoshopping I'd be happy to help I like to think I'm pretty good at it :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. 405th Colonial Regiment Member
    405th Pacific Regiment Member
    Aug 24, 2014, 9:53 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #763

@SniperWolf the photo we were going to use for the explosion didn't come out well …waaaay too backlit. We will have to take another one at RICC! Played around with a different one last night though…here's some PSD silliness!

15. 405th Colonial Regiment Member SniperWolf's Avatar
    SniperWolf's Xbox Gamertag Rockcrushin
    Aug 24, 2014, 1:47 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #764

Awwwwww, oh well this one will do just fine!
  16. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Mstruvmgc's Xbox Gamertag Mstruvmgc
    Aug 31, 2014, 6:15 AM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #765

WOW!!! You guys look like you had lots of fun :-)
    Love the photos
  17. 405th Midwest Regiment Member thorn696's Avatar
    Sep 8, 2014, 12:36 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #766

Awesome Pic.
    Sep 11, 2014, 4:17 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #767

Just wanted to say thanks for this excellent thread. This top class build and great photos inspired me to take the plunge and make Halo armour, so thanks!
  19. New Recruit 405th Pacific Regiment Member Johnnybroskii's Avatar
    1 Week Ago - Oct 20, 2014, 3:14 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #768

awesome build!!!
  20. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Harri51's Avatar
    Harri51's Xbox Gamertag Harri51
    1 Week Ago - Oct 20, 2014, 4:28 PM - Re: KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit #769

Looks awesome and glad to see wolf got in on the action your build is one for great reference.