Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. New Recruit
    Dec 2, 2007, 4:10 PM - #76

Not only is the armor awesome! But so is the paint job and the weathering!

Please give us a shopping list, of the paint and the colors you used and in what sequence!

Id be interested to see more of your work!

Great job M8!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. New Recruit
    Apr 10, 2008, 7:48 PM - #77

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adam @ Aug 21 2007, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I just finished a tutorial about a new painting technique.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYHA-VvBVY0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYHA-VvBVY0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></div>
    i like your paint job but that video isnt really a tutorial *says in discrition on youtube NOTA TUTORIAL!*id like to copy your idea i just need to know you BASE color. what color did u use before any else or is that the molds color comeing out of......the mold....

ps
    (if you read the comments on your youtube vid than you should reconize that last bit...lolz)

pps
    you should make a list of all of the colors you used..
  4. Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Apr 10, 2008, 8:37 PM - #78

Heh, could have just PMed him, instead of Necroin a post from last year

Regardless I love your tuto-....video
    Apr 11, 2008, 12:46 PM - #79

Yea you could have also learned to read the other posts besides the 1st one like I had to do to find the colors.
  6. New Recruit
    Apr 13, 2008, 8:02 AM - #80

Wow. I saw this vid on YouTube a while back. Didn't realise you were the one that made it

Good job. I plan on doing this for mine (a long way away )
    May 30, 2008, 4:21 PM - #81

I just got around to painting my helmet. Im following this tut and when I go to wipe off the black all it does is smear and mix with the oregano and looks like trash. It looks like its drying too fast. I guess to say it short and simple is it smears not wipes off. Do I just need to get a different black paint (ive already tried two different brands) or do I need to try something different to wipe it off with?
  8. New Recruit
    May 30, 2008, 4:39 PM - #82

Isn't this kinda necro posting? Last post was like Dec 3 2007, 12:10 AM. Then suddenly Apr 11 2008, 02:48 AM.
    May 30, 2008, 4:48 PM - #83

well I figured since my question is DIRECTLY related to this post and since its a tutorial there was no need to create a whole new topic on it. I think ive been around long enough to know whats worthing bringing back and whats not.
  10. New Recruit
    May 30, 2008, 4:51 PM - #84

Not you, I meant the guys before you.
    About your question, I have the same problem. I think you need some kind of special piece op cloth or something
    May 30, 2008, 4:56 PM - #85

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matthijs @ May 30 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Not you, I meant the guys before you.
    About your question, I have the same problem. I think you need some kind of special piece op cloth or something </div>

Oh ok sorry for jumping down your throat about it then.
    May 30, 2008, 9:00 PM - #86

Cloth? It doesn't have to be special, per-say... Just something that isn't too absorbant, dry, and also that doesn't leave much lint behind. Usually you can buy painter's rags at stores in bunches. They are lint free, and not treated with chemicals like any soaps or detergents which could just mess with the paint or rags themselves. Also, it's best if you wait for the paints to fully dry... I mean FULLY dry before black washing. Since, when painting, the solvents in the wet paint start to reactivate the dry paint, making it tacky, and able to smear. Try not to rub too hard, or too much. Spray just enough so you only have to make about 2, or 3 wipes in mostly the same direction. After all, black washing is really only meant to fill in scratches, and recessed areas, and to slightly darken your color. If your afraid to try something on your finished product, ALWAYS test your technique on something else with very similar characteristics. And follow the same steps, and try to mimic the same conditions... Temperature, humidity, direct sun, same room or environment, if using a heat gun... Anything. Also, what material your painting makes a difference also. The hardness, and texture.

Most people make the mistake of not really giving the paints enough time to flash off, and dry. They think that as soon as it's dry to the touch, they can do whatever, when it's just the surface that's dry, and the paint is still flashing underneath, by evaporating through. Adam, and some of these other guy's are in a very hot, dry area, so spray painting is quick, and they have an advantage. Even Adam said, make sure they are really dry.

To be on the really safe side, I let a day pass before coats.
  13. New Recruit
    May 31, 2008, 8:30 AM - #87

hey guys i was wondering what colors these were in mayby tremclad cause when you live way up in the north of canada you dont get all of these fancy colors like orengo in americain accents all we got is tremclad in like all of our shops so.. yeah.. if any one could help me on that then that be awsome. ive looked around the site now for like 3days and i got nuttin
  14. New Recruit
    May 31, 2008, 9:10 AM - #88

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kadidlehopper markVI @ May 31 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>hey guys i was wondering what colors these were in mayby tremclad cause when you live way up in the north of canada you dont get all of these fancy colors like orengo in americain accents all we got is tremclad in like all of our shops so.. yeah.. if any one could help me on that then that be awsome. ive looked around the site now for like 3days and i got nuttin</div>
    There are a lot of members located in Canada, you might wanna PM them to see if they've found anything

Also, if you can, you can order these paint colors on the web.
  15. New Recruit
    May 31, 2008, 9:31 AM - #89

I PMed Adam with your exact question awhile back twitch.

He said...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You have to wait for each coat to completely dry.</div>

Make sure that you don't just wait the fifteen minutes or so that the bottle has on it, because that wont be enough to add the accents. Give it a good amount of time first.
    May 31, 2008, 4:55 PM - #90

I made a small tut on painting that I have basically used for years. It's pretty much the same technique Adam uses, but it explains a lot more.

Go here for my tutorial.
    Jun 1, 2008, 8:03 AM - #91

I watched the video and I think someone mentioned it? I thought Adam was using auto primer for the wash.
    I went to Walmart and purchased "dark grey auto primer" . I tried it and it works good! It is not as "thick" as regular paint or primer. You can't spray to big of a area at one time or it will not wipe off. Oh and I used a sock to wipe with.
  18. New Recruit
    Jul 8, 2008, 2:15 PM - #92

I know it's been a month since anyone posted on here, and this is my first post, so I hope I'm not making anyone angry by replying here.

I just wanted to mention a technique that I have used on the two pieces I have completed so far. After adding primer, I very lightly sprayed some 3M rubberized undercoating on the armor. Not very much, but just enough to look like someone "sneezed" the coating onto it. From there, you can paint it like normal. The undercoating adds a cool texture to the regular paint, and if your next coat of paint is relatively light, you can even see some of the black speckles through it. I found that when coupled with the excellent techniques shown by Adam, it adds a nice weathered look to the armor. It probably isn't for everyone, but you might try it out if you are going for a "battle-damaged" look.
  19. New Recruit
    Sep 18, 2008, 11:06 PM - #93

hmmmm.... I too live "way north" in Canada (mid Alberta) but I was able to find Rustoleum Oregano in the local Home Depot. Also you don't have to use the exact same brand and colour as the masters of Spartan armour use. Just experiment and hey its only paint it can be painted over.
  20. New Recruit
    Sep 19, 2008, 3:49 PM - #94

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacGyver1138 @ Jul 8 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know it's been a month since anyone posted on here, and this is my first post, so I hope I'm not making anyone angry by replying here.

I just wanted to mention a technique that I have used on the two pieces I have completed so far. After adding primer, I very lightly sprayed some 3M rubberized undercoating on the armor. Not very much, but just enough to look like someone "sneezed" the coating onto it. From there, you can paint it like normal. The undercoating adds a cool texture to the regular paint, and if your next coat of paint is relatively light, you can even see some of the black speckles through it. I found that when coupled with the excellent techniques shown by Adam, it adds a nice weathered look to the armor. It probably isn't for everyone, but you might try it out if you are going for a "battle-damaged" look.</div>

This sounds like a very detailed, and well thought suggestion. I would encourage you to post pics of this. It may provide useful to some members
    Sep 19, 2008, 6:50 PM - #95

wow that looks really awesome
  22. New Recruit
    Oct 27, 2008, 4:52 PM - #96

OMGWTFBBQ necropost!
    I know, but it's not really necessary to start a new topic about this.
    I tried blackwashing like 200 times and i keep wiping off all the paint. What can be the problem? The black paint, the green paint, or the primer? I don't rub the paint.
    You guys use Black or Dark gray Automotive Primer. Does it have to be primer? I use normal black paint. And what does the Automotive mean? Like it's for cars?

Thanks,

Matthijs
  23. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Twisting_Neather's Avatar
    Twisting_Neather's Xbox Gamertag TwistingNeather
    Oct 27, 2008, 11:40 PM - #97

I tried blackwashing like 200 times and i keep wiping off all the paint.

How long are you letting the paint dry borfore you do this? Its best to wait a full day before you blackwash.

You guys use Black or Dark gray Automotive Primer.
    I use the dark grey, but differnt people use differnt colors.

Does it have to be primer?
    Its ostly a matter of prefernce, It also breaks up the gloss of the paint, and gives it a more weathered look.

I use normal black paint.
    Normal is such a meaningless term, whats normal for you isnt nessacarily normal for other people.

And what does the Automotive mean? Like it's for cars?
    Yes, automotive means for cars. It tends to be a higher quality, creating a much smoother finish over all. (If you know what it is you are doing)

PS
    Please take note, some of my comments are purly for enertainment purposes only. I mean no offese and encourage people to ask questions. If have anything else you need to know feel free to PM a Q&A team member, like myself. We're here to help you out with things like this.
  24. New Recruit
    Oct 28, 2008, 5:24 AM - #98

How long are you letting the paint dry borfore you do this? Its best to wait a full day before you blackwash.
    Uhhm... half a year (seriously)

Normal is such a meaningless term, whats normal for you isnt nessacarily normal for other people.
    The cheapest spraycan of blackpaint I could find.

Thanks for your answer

Matthijs
  25. Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Oct 28, 2008, 11:51 AM - #99

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matthijs @ Oct 28 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How long are you letting the paint dry borfore you do this? Its best to wait a full day before you blackwash.
    Uhhm... half a year (seriously)

The cheapest spraycan of blackpaint I could find.

Thanks for your answer

Matthijs</div>

Well the paint that i normal use is Duplicolor paint, you can find in at Hallforts or at Hornbach. They sell glossy and mat primer. If you look closely at the video that isn't wiping, the is smearing (smeren dus matthijs...). I looks easy because the grooves in adam's armor a pretty deep, so the paint easy sticks.

I normaly use a airbrush for the little paint work, so if you need to someone to do it for you
  26. New Recruit
    Jan 2, 2009, 4:38 AM - #100

this technique rox ^^ i'll use them... look easy...