Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    danielix-96's Xbox Gamertag danielix 96
    May 24, 2014, 4:52 AM - red vs blue grif #1

hello everyone, i've been working on this armor for the past few months, but i've had issues with posting a thread (either i'm busy with school or i'm too tired ... because i was busy with school), anyway, its my first weekend without homework so i finally have time !
    now onto the build
    i first started with making 2 guns then i decided to make the full suit to go with them
    i fist started with the ODST smg
    first, after making the full template i started making the layers, i assembled it the same way as a sliced file

the middle pieces were foam board/foam core poster board

the next part was 6mm foam

then using 2mm foam i added the details

after i was done detailing i grabbed a 5mm diameter wood stick and wrapped it with corrugated cardboard, then drilled in the smg and glued it in
    , i added an extra 6mm foam piece as the magazine, i carved some details into it and then using a 12mm foam i made a small box where the mag goes in

for the scope i used styrene plastic and some cardboard tags i found useful

then i added a spare flashlight with red dot laser i had (i just need to put some batteries in it) then painted everything black
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    May 24, 2014, 11:13 AM - #2

then next gun was the halo 3 battle rifle, i made is similar to the smg, i made a template and started making it similar to a sliced file, the materials i used in this build were 2mm cardboard, foam core poster board/ foam board and 5mm diameter wooden stick

this time i planned things trough and cut out the space where the barrels would go

i drilled a hole diagonally to make this with the rest of the wooden stick and a piece of scrap foam

the was making the scope, which was a good 2 - 3 hours of looking at reference photos to give myself an idea of how the barrel should be, i ended up with this

here's the finished piece

penny for reference

thats if for now, i may upload the armor progress later today, anyway, please post your comments, suggestions or criticism, they're all welcome !
    Last edited by danielix-96; May 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
  4. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Mstruvmgc's Xbox Gamertag Mstruvmgc
    May 24, 2014, 5:11 PM - #3

:-) very righteous
    May 24, 2014, 8:28 PM - #4

allright, now with the arms !
    i made the the basic drawing as a base, with 6mm foam and then the detail with a 2mm craft foam, the used an elastic strap to wrap it around my hand

for the forearms, i used a low def foam pepakura file, then modified it a bit

then i made the details with the 2mm craft foam
    this piece was inspired from this thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...=robot+chicken

then i added this piece

then the shoulder's i first made the shoulder plate with the pepakura foam file, then the bicep piede was made from scratch, i also took inspiration from RobotChicken's thread

then i painted erything, notice how the right forearm has more battle damage, what happened was : when i painted it, the wind blew it away when i left it to dry, when i noticed it, it was too late, the paint was dry and some stones stick to it... so i pulled them off carefully ... but they tore some of the foam off so i improvised, i used some air dry clay to fill the gabs as best as i could, i think it ended up looking quite nice !

anyway, i'd like to know what you guys think, later!
  6. 405th Southwest Regiment Member Rosh's Avatar
    May 25, 2014, 1:50 AM - #5

You are very very skilled in the art of turning out a good product with little apparent effort- both of your guns appear to have been built intuitively, and look the part with no apparent bondo application, and all your foam work approaches complex problems and solves them simply and looks great! Keep it up! I wanna see more grif!
  7. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    May 25, 2014, 6:14 AM - #6

nothing wrong with more damage :-)
    just means your suit has been through a lot of battles lol
  8. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Harri51's Avatar
    Harri51's Xbox Gamertag Harri51
    May 25, 2014, 6:25 AM - #7

Looks awesome! Just make sure the cod piece has extra damage via tex lmao! But loving this build man great detail.
    May 25, 2014, 1:44 PM - #8

now for the chest, i gotta say it was the most time consuming piece ever, i worked on it on a 24 hours non-stop speedbuid (which ... now that i think about it was a move grif would never do ... unless it involved junk food) , which was quite a challenge, the damage report would be minor hot glue burns all over my hands, i responded to that by taking a 2 day long break from doing anything related to costumes while my hands rested, anyway, here are the pics :

also, the morning after i finished the paint, i got an award for a job well done in the mail, YES!

let me know what you guys think
  10. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    May 26, 2014, 5:54 AM - #9

Armor is looking good :-), and yes your right, thats not a griff move lol
    seems a tad crooked, but maybe that just because its sitting weird i dunno lol
    Keep up te good work
    May 26, 2014, 12:24 PM - #10

Originally Posted by Mstruvmgc View Post
    Armor is looking good :-), and yes your right, thats not a griff move lol

seems a tad crooked, but maybe that just because its sitting weird i dunno lol

Keep up te good work

Yeah, it may be because im using a thinner foam, but when i put it on looks good, or at least good enough

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk
  12. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    May 27, 2014, 5:37 AM - #11

possibly, but it looks good on so thats what matters :-)
    May 27, 2014, 9:39 AM - #12

wow that looks awesome! I love how you have a nice worn effect that doesn't look overdone!
    Jun 19, 2014, 10:33 PM - #13

hello everyone ! sorry about the lack of posts lately i've been o exams ... in fact i'm on finals right now, but i'm exempt from some subjects so i took this moment to show you guys some of the progress ... enough yapping! heres the build
    i made the thighs out of 12mm foam (more or less) after a random forum lurking session a few months ago i found this build: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...stom-undersuit
    i noticed she made a template for the thighs so i saved it on my computer, just in case, i used that as a reference and drew my own (since my thigh is way bigger than hers) the reason i used her template was because i was running out of the 6mm foam i'm using for the pep-foam parts (which i'm saving for the shin and boot ... coming soon), and also because i'm lazy and this seemed a simpler way to do the thigh ... i was very wrong, since i still don't have a heat gun (i keep spending my money on costuming resources and videogames), it was tricky to bend the thigh, i held it over the stove and put it around my thigh, i repeated this step quite a few times on different sections of the thigh, since it would cool off quickly, after that it turned out to be about an inch smaller than my thigh, so used some elastic to keep the thigh from bending open and also helping it stay close to my leg.

i also drew this piece (referencing a halo figure i have) to add on the side of the thigh

after that i marked where i wanted to glue it

after carving a few details i painted it

i also added some nylon webbing to the upper section of the thigh to attach it to a belt that i will hear under the codpiece
    speaking of the codpiece
    i didnt take any pics of it pre-paint, but its a pretty simple piece, i made it out of a pep file, using the 6mm foam, using a halo figure for reference i used my dremel's sanding attachement to make some details, i used 2 buckles on the sides to make it easy to put on and take off

a few weeks after this, it broke (a sad thing) since a 6mm piece, where one of the buckles were attached was too thin and just snapped, i used some more 6mm foam on both sides to reinforce and also on some other sections i considered that could break as well

here's a pic of the thighs and the codpiece on me

one think i'm planning to do, is boy a chrome duck tape i saw at home depot last time i went there to buy paint, i'll use that on the thighs (the rectangles that are supposed to be the lights) and also on my halo 4 knife (a new one out of styrene maybe)

that's all for now, please tell me what you think of the build so far and feel free to leave constructive criticism, next update will probably be the helmet, by the way, if anyone has any suggestions on how to make a visor on a budget ... a really really really short budget, please post an answer or link
    thank you and wish me luck on my finals
    Last edited by danielix-96; Jun 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM.
    Lowcone494's Xbox Gamertag Lowcone494
    Jun 20, 2014, 7:28 AM - #14

This looks really good! from the way you posted the pics, are you starting on part and finishing it before doing another?
    thedoctor518's Xbox Gamertag thedoctor518
    Jun 20, 2014, 10:39 AM - #15

This is looking super awesome! I love seeing people do RvB builds. Very nice foam work, and the paint/weathering job really sells it.
    Jun 21, 2014, 9:51 AM - #16

weekend finally! just 2 days of exams left! then i'm graduating from high school!
    alright now , big update...the helmet
    i started my assembling all the pieces (i didn't have my computer with me to reference the file)

then i started building the helmet, i used 2 files for this, a foam unfold of the helmet and an hd file for the details that i would add with craft foam

since i'm on a budget, i temporarily painted the visor as well
    i'm planning to do something similar to a dual layer visor, i will cut the shape from the center and put a plastic sheet or some sort of mesh behind, but, im open for suggestions

here's the finished helmet after the 3 coats of yellow ... or as grif would say "im f***ing orange!", the black details and wash, and the gold visor
    you may notice a bit of the golden paint slipped trough the paper i used to cover the rest of the helmet, so i tried to hide it making it battle damage

here's a photo of everything i have so far

as always comments and constructive criticism are more than welcome
  18. 405th Southwest Regiment Member tomboy's Avatar
    Jun 24, 2014, 11:18 AM - #17

Looking good so far, but that cod piece needs way more weathering if you're going to be Grif. I can't believe a warehouse full of Tex's didn't leave a scratch on that thing.
  19. 405th Southwest Regiment Member MyrHerder's Avatar
    MyrHerder's Xbox Gamertag MyrHerder
    Jul 14, 2014, 3:23 AM - Re: red vs blue grif #18

Agreed on the cod piece
    Based on his personality and some lines in the early season, drawings/comics of Grif tend to be... big boned. Are you going that route by any chance?
    I'm a huge fan of Grifball (captain of What the Grif for 3 years) and love the messenger bag.
    Good luck on the build! Looks good so far.
    Jul 14, 2014, 7:20 AM - Re: red vs blue grif #19

good point on the cod piece, i'm rewatching episodes to see what else to add, for example, i'll start making grif's iconic weapon of choice, the traffic cone and probably a speed unit, also dog tags (Captain / Minor Junior Private Negative First Class / Private / Sergeant ) dexter grif, red army
    also, i will be going with the "big boned" route (tough not as much as in the animated short ), temporairly, since i've been going to the gym and dieting lately
    Jul 15, 2014, 6:32 PM - Re: red vs blue grif #20

allright everyone, i need your opinion, which dog tag should i do ?

PVT.
    GRIF, DEXTER
    RED ARMY
    BLOOG GULCH OUTPOST 1-B

MINOR JR. PVT. FC
    GRIF, DEXTER
    RED ARMY
    VALHALLA OUTPOST 17-B

CAPT.
    GRIF, DEXTER
    GOLD SQUAD
    CHORUS, NEW REPUBLIC
  22. 405th Colonial Regiment Member
    Jul 16, 2014, 7:42 PM - Re: red vs blue grif #21

I like the second dogtag.

Minor Jr. Pvt. - FC
    Grif, Dexter
    Red Army
    Valhalla Outpost 17-B
  23. 405th Southern Regiment Member cayoke's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    cayoke's Xbox Gamertag Cayoke
    Jul 18, 2014, 2:04 AM - Re: red vs blue grif #22

I like Blood.Gulch the most but today were my favorite seasons
    Jul 18, 2014, 10:08 PM - Re: red vs blue grif #23

Here's a little update for today

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk
    Jul 20, 2014, 12:58 AM - Re: red vs blue grif #24

Allright this is what i did for the cone
    I decided to make the cone smaller than the one used in the series just because i wanted to use less material
    These are the templates i used

I traced the base on 1/2 inch thick foam
    And the "cone" section on a 5mm thick foam, i folded the template in half and traced it 4 times (1/2, 1, 1, 1/2) on the foam in order to get a Round edge on the cone, then i put. Everything together

I then used 2 coats of wood glue on the inside to add some strength to the cone
    Then did 2 coats of acrylic orange paint on the cone, lightly sanded the cone and pained it again with another voat of orange, then i added the white line and finally did some dry brushing to weather the cone a bit, after this, i was done

Next week i will be doing the shins and then i may have to buy some more foam for the boots, again, give me your opinion on wich dog tag should i do
    Comments and criticism are most welcome
    Later
    Jul 21, 2014, 5:28 PM - Re: red vs blue grif #25

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405981609.956577.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	971
    Here's the first shin

Comments and criticism are welcome