Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    cha0skn1ght's Xbox Gamertag cha0s kn1ght
    Feb 7, 2014, 10:41 AM - Yay another ODST build! Well at least it will be Halo 4's Version #1

So the ODST was the very first armor I ever made was back in 2009 and it was an ODST suit. This is me as the Rookie from ODST and my then girlfriend now wife as a purple (instead of blue) Dare. That armor was rough and I now see so many things that were wrong with it (like I made Mk. VI gauntlets and shins lol). We used tactical vests instead of the core part of the ODST suit for mounting. It worked well for my first dive into armor making but I feel I didn't give it the attention it deserved.

I've learned a lot since then and want to tackle a full foam build of ODST armor with a (hopefully) snazzy undersuit. I've already grabbed the files from the 405th file database on 4shared:
    (http://www.4shared.com/folder/-gSGib...sortsMode=NAME)
    and have started converting them for foam use. Much thanks to MissingSpartan7 for the unfold! Remember, I am taking no credit for the 3d model or unfolding of that model, I'm just converting the unfolds (or trying to) for foam usage

Here is the first piece, I think I'm done with it. Please if you have experience converting normal pep files to foam, any tips or mistakes or strange things you see let me know

Last edited by cha0skn1ght; Feb 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 7, 2014, 10:49 AM - #2

This space is reserved for final pics and links to final foam files. All files are in letter format.
    ODST Foam Files:
    Boot
    Left Shin
    Left Thigh
    Left Gauntlet
    Left Shoulder
    Butt Plate
    Torso
    Pack
    ODST Letter Helmet
    ^^ Not foam just converted to letter paper size
    That wraps it up for the ODST files for now. I'm most likely not going to do a foam helmet, but I might think about it.
    Venator Pieces
    Narrow Boot
    Narrow Shin
    Narrow Thigh
    Narrow Knee Plate
    Narrow Butt Plate
    Left Outer Plated Forearm
    Venator Chest

Venator Shoulder
    ^^ I didn't convert the chest and the shoulder to foam. They're originally located here. I just grabbed them and put them here so if anyone is searching they can have the whole suit right here.
    Again, I didn't do these conversions but they looks great so here they are. I believe Hyperballistik did the unfolds for them and they were modeled by JTM1997. Give them a shout out for their work

With that I think all the files have been converted to foam. Enjoy and feel free to use and share. I'm pretty sure all the modelers and original unfolders names are included in the pep files so be sure to thank them for their awesome work.

I unfolded the FOTUS Helmet from the 343i model that Arcanine provided.
    I haven't ever really unfolded anything before but I gave it a shot anyways. I really should've used blender or something to try and connect the Horn to the Helmet but as it stands, after you build the Horn and the Helmet separately, you will need to modify the assembled pieces so they can fit together. I'm going to build this helmet too but let me know if you guys and gals think it looks like a decent unfold.
    Last edited by cha0skn1ght; Jun 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM.
    Feb 7, 2014, 11:03 AM - #3

Oh man, I've been looking forward to a Halo 4 ODST build.
  5. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 7, 2014, 11:15 AM - #4

I will try and give it the attention it deserves
    I'll keep everyone posted. It will be a much slower process than my previous armor(in my sig) because I have triple the time to complete it.
    Feb 7, 2014, 12:30 PM - #5

Awesome! I have a Robocraft friendly file if you need it. I love this H4 ODST probably going to make a complete suit soon. Subscribed.😃

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?...ft experience)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  7. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 7, 2014, 12:56 PM - #6

I bet that speeds up the cutting process 100 fold.
    Your helmets look nice Ryno_666 and thanks for the sub!
    Left thigh

Butt plate

* There are some areas on the edge of the butt plate that I didn't know if I should keep or not, basically the whole third page of the pep file. I will have a better understanding when I build it. Also I may or may not even use the top middle piece that is rounded on one side. I might just trace and cut out that section of the main body of the middle piece and raise it. Time will tell.

Left Shoulder

Most likely I'm only going to use this template for the outer piece of armor and scratch build the piece that goes around my arm. We will see.
    Last edited by cha0skn1ght; Feb 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM.
  8. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Harri51's Avatar
    Harri51's Xbox Gamertag Harri51
    Feb 7, 2014, 3:02 PM - #7

Nicee!!!!!! loving the files.
  9. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 7, 2014, 3:06 PM - #8

Originally Posted by Harri51 View Post
    Nicee!!!!!! loving the files.
    Thanks! Right now I'm pretty happy with them all except the Shoulder. I may try and change it after I put one together. Then I will know what's good and what's not so good.
  10. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Harri51's Avatar
    Feb 7, 2014, 3:09 PM - #9

Everything takes time but I think they look great none the less.
  11. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 7, 2014, 3:16 PM - #10

Thanks again for the compliment!
    Last edited by cha0skn1ght; May 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Somehow edited the wrong post.
  12. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Harri51's Avatar
    Feb 8, 2014, 6:25 AM - #11

No problem. Actually my plan is to do my reach build, an ODST build, and possibly my armor for Halo 4
  13. 405th Canadian Regiment Member CLOTHAR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Feb 8, 2014, 6:16 PM - #12

If you want to get high tech: you can "smooth" the files to get rid of the sharp corners. You need to export the files as a .dxf, then import them into CAD software if you have it. Basically you need a program that lets you draw splines. Using that you basically connect the dots of the sharp edges, and get a smooth line. Overall it makes for rounder, cleaner pieces. But, it is totally optional.

There is also a "smooth" tool in pepakura, but I find it is frustrating to use.
  14. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 10, 2014, 9:55 AM - #13

Originally Posted by CLOTHAR View Post
    If you want to get high tech: you can "smooth" the files to get rid of the sharp corners. You need to export the files as a .dxf, then import them into CAD software if you have it. Basically you need a program that lets you draw splines. Using that you basically connect the dots of the sharp edges, and get a smooth line. Overall it makes for rounder, cleaner pieces. But, it is totally optional.

There is also a "smooth" tool in pepakura, but I find it is frustrating to use.
    I (unfortunately) don't have any type of CAD software. Is there free-software out there that isn't just a trial? I may take a shot at it but don't want to invest the money into buying at the moment.
    I may fiddle with the smoothing tool in pepakura.
  15. 405th Colonial Regiment Member
    Feb 10, 2014, 11:51 AM - #14

Originally Posted by cha0skn1ght View Post
    I (unfortunately) don't have any type of CAD software. Is there free-software out there that isn't just a trial? I may take a shot at it but don't want to invest the money into buying at the moment.
    You could try here http://www.blender.org/
    I dont have a PC that can run anything (I can barely watch youtube videos...), so I dont know anything about this program, Though I think I've seen it mentioned in the forums before when lurking around.
  16. 405th Colonial Regiment Member
    Feb 10, 2014, 11:52 AM - #15

I dont have a PC that can run anything (I can barely watch youtube videos...), so I dont know anything about this program, Though I think I've seen it mentioned in the forums before when lurking around.
  17. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 10, 2014, 12:08 PM - #16

Originally Posted by AWACS-89 View Post
    I have played some with blender before. Maybe I'll look back into it.
  18. 405th Canadian Regiment Member CLOTHAR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Feb 10, 2014, 5:39 PM - #17

Look into 123D. I believe it is free.
  19. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 10, 2014, 5:55 PM - #18

Thanks for the tip
    Update: It's kind of an offshoot, but I unfolded and converted to foam the Outer Plated Forearm that was modeled by Monkeyfuj
    Click here

It's scaled for an 11 inch long forearm (I'm short only 5'5" )
    Again, I'm still new to this converting to foam stuff and I haven't built this yet. All the files I'm working on will be built by me and my crew later on, but if you want to give it a try, go ahead and let me know what worked and didn't work
    Last edited by cha0skn1ght; Feb 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM.
    Feb 10, 2014, 8:49 PM - #19

Can you link all your files on first post as you go through. I really like this build so far.

21. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 11, 2014, 10:29 AM - #20

Originally Posted by RYNO_666 View Post
    Can you link all your files on first post as you go through. I really like this build so far.

They are all on the second post already
    Last edited by cha0skn1ght; Feb 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Feb 11, 2014, 2:16 PM - #21

Oh yeah, duh.(⊙_⊙) I didn't realize those were links to the files, thanks.

Blender works well , a number pad and a multi button mouse is definitely recommended.

23. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 11, 2014, 2:43 PM - #22

I've played around with blender before, maybe I'll pick it back up
    I was thinking about making another thread, but I'll keep it all here. My crew is making Venator armor (one with the Fotus helmet and one full Venator). So on top of my ODST foam conversion, I'll post whatever files I convert for Venator too.
    Narrow Shin Foam

Return to the ODST
    Torso
    On the torso, remember to invert all the pieces from one side to make the other side. This saves paper(and $$) and time

Disclaimer: again, I haven't built these and I'm focusing on making big faces to help with the crafting of foam armor.
    Last edited by cha0skn1ght; Feb 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM.
  24. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    Feb 14, 2014, 12:25 PM - #23

Pack converted. This one will be slightly interesting to build. Again, just keep in mind that this template may not be perfect, so take it with a grain of salt
    Also remember to invert the left side of the pack for the right side to save time and money and paper
    Pack
    mawrTRON's Xbox Gamertag mawrTRON
    Feb 15, 2014, 4:02 AM - #24

Pack converted. This one will be slightly interesting to build. Again, just keep in mind that this template may not be perfect, so take it with a grain of salt
    Also remember to invert the left side of the pack for the right side to save time and money and paper
    Pack
    This chest (and the files for it) look really good. The backpack always reminded me of one of those 70's - 80's lego space men.

Im really looking forward to seeing this suit complete.
  26. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Harri51's Avatar
    Feb 15, 2014, 5:04 AM - #25

The pack looks great! makes it super easy for modifications.