Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Feb 12, 2013, 12:22 PM - #76

Originally Posted by Cjsuner View Post
    For helmets, do you guyz use the slush casting technique, or jsut the pooring technique?
    Slush casting. I'm not sure what you're referring to as the pouring technique, but I'm assuming you mean, filling the mold with casting material, and then pouring the excess back out. That's just fine for things that air dry like latex. But, with resin that would be incredibly expensive and wasteful. Since, once you mix it, it's all going to cure.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Ghost Bear 027's Avatar
    Ghost Bear 027's Xbox Gamertag Ghost Bear 027
    Jul 1, 2013, 7:25 AM - #77

Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I'm not sure where to ask this, but casting seems like the most apt description of what I'd like to do.

I made a pep Daedric dagger (from Skyrim) and I would like to fill it with something to make it more solid. I am thinking about filling it with expanding foam (carefully), but it seems like it wouldn't feel heavy enough, and the expanding sounds dangerous.
    So, any other recommendations? Also, would this belong better in another help forum? I am new to this, as well as 405th.

Thanks for any help you can give!
    Hey mate,
    Not sure if anybody hit on this, but I would not use the expanding foam. For not a lot more than you would pay for foam, just get some auto resin and bondo (or straight resin), mix them, and pour them into the hilt with the blade tip securely facing down to make sure the liquid settles in all the appropriate nooks and crannies.

You can get filler (the pink bondo stuff) that isn't bondo for pretty cheap, and the same goes for the resin. I wouldn't go to an auto parts store to buy it, at least not here in RI because it's less expensive at Lowe's or those weird discount stores like Benny's. The Rondo mix is really easy to work with (golf ball of bondo, 6 tablespoons of resin (or less, that's just the mixing measurement on the container), then add the bondo hardener and the 1/4 teaspoon (or less again) of the resin hardener, and pour it in. It sets quick, heats up, which makes it nice to remove the hot glue while it's curing, and you can sand out any imperfections as pull it out. You can also mold it to make more if you like, which will be more difficult with the foam.

I wouldn't use the foam for fear of blowing out your pep work, and you're right, it will feel flimsy because it is a porous material and may be more prone to breakage.

Hope this helps and sorry for the late response. Finally joined myself.
  4. 405th Pacific Regiment Member Jason-078's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jul 21, 2013, 5:05 PM - #78

I was looking at 3D printing my helmet/armor and was looking at doing the same for the visor (separate from the helmet). How feasible would it be to mold the visor and then cast it in a clear resin? This question was asked previously, but nobody responded to it.

This would work for all of the various visor forms, especially some of the high-detail H4 visors (Warmaster, anyone?). Also, for some of the hex detailed visors, you could include the light inset of the hex on the visor.

It can be tinted before casting and a mirror tint added on the inside afterwards, too.

Would this be viable?
    Sep 26, 2013, 5:28 AM - #79

Okay so I was curious about casting, when I get to this stage what all will I need and how will I do it, because I've read a bunch of different ways to do it and non of them were very helpful. So if someone who knows what they are doing or has a better grasp of it then me could tell me, it would be greatly appreciated.
  6. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Carpathia's Xbox Gamertag Halcyon Pillar
    Sep 26, 2013, 10:16 AM - #80

Originally Posted by Roadkill2112 View Post
    Okay so I was curious about casting, when I get to this stage what all will I need and how will I do it, because I've read a bunch of different ways to do it and non of them were very helpful. So if someone who knows what they are doing or has a better grasp of it then me could tell me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    This is actually asking quite a lot. You're essentially asking someone to hold your hand through the process. Rather, make a decision which method you'd like to try and learn everything you can about that method. There are tons of tutorials out there (beyond the confines of the 405th). Then, when you've chosen and done some research, you can ask more specific questions about a specific method. What you're asking now is far too broad.
  7. 405th Pacific Regiment Member Katsu's Avatar
    Sep 26, 2013, 12:12 PM - #81

Seconded...

Browse youtube videos, try "Halo mold casting" or something and there are like three or four different tutorials. If you have specific questions, help is but a post away here.
    Oct 24, 2013, 6:25 PM - #82

Hi guys,
    I was checking the web for epoxy resins and there are hundreds out there...what do you guys use?

Thanks!
  9. 405th Midwest Regiment Member
    Carpathia's Xbox Gamertag Halcyon Pillar
    Nov 5, 2013, 12:04 PM - #83

UPDATE:

This thread has been retired and replaced with an updated FAQ thread. If you have posted a question here that has not been answered, check the FAQ thread. Further one-time questions can be found or directed there.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...ng-amp-Casting