Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Dec 27, 2009, 10:32 PM - #26

[quote name='Bobaboo' date='27 December 2009 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1261970992' post='378437']

So can you use the REd/blue technique with a colored visor? or would it be too dark to see through?

[/quote]

With enough infrared LED's, it should work just fine. And the visor has to be made out of the correct red and blue lenses.

WARNING: in daylight, with infrared goggles, looking at the sun for just a few seconds WILL cause permanent eye damage!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Dec 27, 2009, 10:38 PM - #27

[quote name='Chevysrule' date='27 December 2009 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1261974721' post='378453']

With enough infrared LED's, it should work just fine. And the visor has to be made out of the correct red and blue lenses.

WARNING: in daylight, with infrared goggles, looking at the sun for just a few seconds WILL cause permanent eye damage!

[/quote]

Well I understand that, but I what I'm asking if i can Have gold tint on top of the color. I would like to have a gold viosr, but still be able to use the Red/blue IR
    Dec 27, 2009, 10:45 PM - #28

[quote name='Bobaboo' date='27 December 2009 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1261975108' post='378455']

Well I understand that, but I what I'm asking if i can Have gold tint on top of the color. I would like to have a gold viosr, but still be able to use the Red/blue IR

[/quote]

It depends on the tint of the R/B colored sheets you are using and how tinted your visor is. Its like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. if theyr'e not that tinted, you can see straight through. If they are, then its opaque. But keeping in mind that it will be night time as well, you may want to double check before going nuts.

Personally, I just mounted my MW2 goggles in front of my visor
    Dec 27, 2009, 10:53 PM - #29

[quote name='Sithslayer78' date='27 December 2009 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1261975548' post='378457']

It depends on the tint of the R/B colored sheets you are using and how tinted your visor is. Its like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. if theyr'e not that tinted, you can see straight through. If they are, then its opaque. But keeping in mind that it will be night time as well, you may want to double check before going nuts.

Personally, I just mounted my MW2 goggles in front of my visor

[/quote]

Well I only bought the regular edition of mw2, the night vision doesn't appeal to me that much (by itself) I don't think I would use it much anyways if I had it put in my helmet (even during Halloween the areas I go around are fairly well lit)
    Dec 27, 2009, 10:55 PM - #30

[quote name='Sithslayer78' date='27 December 2009 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1261975548' post='378457']

It depends on the tint of the R/B colored sheets you are using and how tinted your visor is. Its like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. if theyr'e not that tinted, you can see straight through. If they are, then its opaque.[/quote]

I have some IR goggles already made, with the red/blue lenses and everything. They turn people into shadows. If I look at regular lights, all I see is the filaments, which appear colored purple. I don't have a gold lens, but I am pretty sure that combining one with those goggles would make everything opaque, even bright lights.
  7. New Recruit
    Dec 28, 2009, 12:17 AM - #31

One thing you could do is use a small disposable CVS camcorder, and a old camcorder's view finder. All lower end cameras can see IR, (such as the CVS cam, your cellphone cam, and probably your digital point and shoot cam), so rip apart the cvs and attach the camcorder's view finder to the screen.

That's my .02 for getting the LCD screen viewable without giving yourself a migraine...
    Dec 28, 2009, 9:51 AM - #32

Hello all,

A friend of mine that in the optical field, says that just go with the gold visors as normal and only use the red (IR) filter over the actual cam lens. just remember not to look at the sun or heat lamps, they put out a huge amount of IR.

Stilgar
    Blog Entries
    Dec 28, 2009, 11:28 AM - #33

Hey all. I just stumbled on to this topics and I wanted to add my two cents.

I have been researching this for my custom odst build for some time now. The first thing I wanted to point out is that the red/blue lens filter doesn't work to help you see night vision.

Apparently the human eye can NOT detect IR light waves unless they are picked up and displayed though some type of electronic device. So basically those Red/Blue nightvision video tuts are a bust. I know its sucks. I was actually thinking about using that idea too.

So after learning about that I thought about any other way to make it work.

First thought was to use something like the Eyeclopes Night Vision toy or the COD Modern Warfare 2 Night Vision toy and just gut the thing and adapting it to my helmet.

by some how mounting the LCD Screen inside and then the camera and IR leds somewhere out side.

The thing you have to keep in mind here is the camera placement because if its too far in front or to the side of your your face, your depth perception will be off.

I saw a lot of reviews for both of these toys and the all said your depth perception is off when you wear them.

Also along with depth perception problem you have to worry about being able to focus on the the LCD screen so close to your face.

Second idea was to get a cheap or old digital camera and try to gut it, remove the IR filter from the lens and mount it like the first idea. But you run into the same problems.

Third and last idea was to get a micro projector mount it to the inside top part of your helmet and coat the inside of your visor with something reflective. Connect an expeternal camera and there you go. You have a sick HUD but with the same issues as before. Lol

Let me know if you guys find any solutions to these issues.
    Dec 28, 2009, 1:40 PM - #34

Hello All,

As Kirrou stated, using the Eyeclopes Night Vision toy is a bad idea, it only has 1 LCD in it, Many of my friends believe, because of the vertigo and depth perception caused by the toy, is why they made the new one with 2 LCD in it, I have had the chance to play with the new one, and the problems are greatly decreased, I also see that its not the same image in both LCD, the left one is slightly different, possibly to help with depth perception.

Also, going with the mini cam idea, you have the option of connecting a recorder so others can see what you see.

I remember the reflector I used was a piece of lexan with a light smoke tint, it was almost clear.

Stilgar
    Blog Entries
    Dec 28, 2009, 1:50 PM - #35

[quote name='Stilgar Hammer' date='28 December 2009 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1262029215' post='378615']

Hello All,

As Kirrou stated, using the Eyeclopes Night Vision toy is a bad idea, it only has 1 LCD in it, Many of my friends believe, because of the vertigo and depth perception caused by the toy, is why they made the new one with 2 LCD in it, I have had the chance to play with the new one, and the problems are greatly decreased, I also see that its not the same image in both LCD, the left one is slightly different, possibly to help with depth perception.

Also, going with the mini cam idea, you have the option of connecting a recorder so others can see what you see.

I remember the reflector I used was a piece of lexan with a light smoke tint, it was almost clear.

Stilgar

[/quote]

Lol I was looking at the links you put up and both the camera and the LCD look like they would work and would be fairly easy to put together. I also saw the sketch of the reflector diagram it looks like a great idea. I just had a question about reflection, how did you manage to flip the image so the reflection would show the correct display and not just a backwards mirrored image of what you wear actually seeing.

You said you built one before so how was the depth perception and where did you mount the camera?
    Dec 28, 2009, 3:18 PM - #36

The LCD was place facing down, with the bottom edge to the front. The cam was placed facing forward and in the middle of the forehead. The particular LCD I got, I was able to get a schematic for it, and a TV repair friend was able to flip the image on the screen from left to right by re-soldering a part in it.

You could do the same by placing the cam facing upward with a mirror facing forward.

The depth perception was not a issue until you try to pick something up, it seemed a bit farther away.

Stilgar
    Blog Entries
    Dec 28, 2009, 6:19 PM - #37

[quote name='Stilgar Hammer' date='28 December 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1262035104' post='378644']

The LCD was place facing down, with the bottom edge to the front. The cam was placed facing forward and in the middle of the forehead. The particular LCD I got, I was able to get a schematic for it, and a TV repair friend was able to flip the image on the screen from left to right by re-soldering a part in it.

You could do the same by placing the cam facing upward with a mirror facing forward.

The depth perception was not a issue until you try to pick something up, it seemed a bit farther away.

Stilgar

[/quote]

Well it definitely looks like something I'll have to test out. To get everything it would be under about 50 bucks which isn't bad i'll probably go this route when I get to that phase in my build. Thanks a lot for the links and the ideas.

I was also thinking that in order to see better, I will probably mount more IR LEDs to other parts of the armor and not limit them to just the helmet. Maybe adding a detachable mount with a series of IR LEDs some where on the armor. I was kind of thinking something like the Predator Shoulder Canon or something like that. Lol but we shall see.
    Dec 28, 2009, 6:31 PM - #38

i had a similar idea, except i was just gonna have a camera in the back of my helm and the screen on the visor, so i can see people sneeking up on me

but the night vision idea is a cool one, and you would be farther ahed to do a DIY NVG setup than take apart a cyclops NVG toy

//Jeremy
  15. New Recruit
    Dec 28, 2009, 7:19 PM - #39

I'm thinking this could work if you put an single eye observer kinda thing inside your helm. On and off switches are awesome xD. I think that if you search the net hardcore you could probably get some ideas on how to fully intergrate the visor with a working night vision adapter. I have no idea at the moment but it seems something worth thinking about. Maybe look into military nightvision tech. cause i bet yoiu can make one much cheaper than buying a set of goggles from Slodier of Fortune mag xD. I reckon that if you find a fairly high quality camera with nightvision you could pull it apart. I don't reccomend you do that unless you know what you're doing or else your going to make camera/cam-phone soup xD. Cheers
    Dec 28, 2009, 9:48 PM - #40

[quote name='Stilgar Hammer' date='26 December 2009 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1261869694' post='378171']

For paintball I did a HUD (head up display). Using a mini cam, and a 3.5" screen.

here are some links or what I used.

Sorry I don't have pics, I sold the unit a couple years ago.

The system ran off a 9V battery

Stilgar

[/quote]

You have a wiring diagram or schematics? I'd love to recreate some of these.
  17. New Recruit
    Dec 28, 2009, 11:19 PM - #41

If you have problem incorperating NVGs in the helmet why don't you use try the goggles that Savvytank made for the ODST gear to use as exterior NVG goggles for the helmets. It's just an idea Iv'e been thinking about using the ODST goggles when I get them to make them a bit more funchional for sniping with a cammera zoomin/out capabilities, since I got the idea from Savvytank ever since he made the goggles for Halo 3 ODST release but NV capabilities it might work you'll never know good luck.
    Dec 29, 2009, 5:28 AM - #42

I have put a lot of thought into this idea.

First off, the red/blue gel filters WILL work but not well. The human eye can't see infrared light however there is a small spectrum of "near-infrared" light that we can see. It's that small amount of light that can give you limited vision.

Second, though one could place a screen in front of your eyes it is very unlikely that you would be able to look at it for long periods of time without strain. To fix this, a lens would be needed. If you have the money this would be your best bet.

Third, poor depth perception other visual impairments impairments will always be a problem. Even the military's true night visoin googles have them. Whether it's peripheral vision, depth, or clarity. Something will always be lost.

As for how to fit this all in the helmet, there are several ways. As with most permutations, IR lights can be on either side, and Myvu glasses can be within the helmet connected to a pinhole camera either hidden, or in the place of one of the lights. My favorite however involves the new Halo Reach helmet by Rundown (found here). The thing (for lack of better words) on top of the helmet seems to be a device that comes down onto the visor. I think this would be a great place to store the IR LEDS and the camera. It could also hold an LCD if enough distance is provided to focus on it.

Anyway, hope this helped and sorry for the long post.
    Dec 29, 2009, 9:37 AM - #43

Wiring is strait forward. The cam and screen has RCA plugs, connect the Yellow, Video to Video. White is Audio. On mine Black was Power. As to flipping the screen, I recommend taking the screen to a trained technician or I don't know if they are still available, but there was a video inverter available for the RV backup cam system.

Stilgar
  20. Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Jan 4, 2010, 4:34 PM - #44

$50 video camera that claims to have night vision capabilities

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001VIEJFM

21. New Recruit
    Jan 5, 2010, 5:16 PM - #45

I'm new to the forum but this topic instantly caught my eye.

A quick Google search pulled up this:

http://www.lumus-optical.com/index.p...id=9&Itemid=15

(apparently also available as monocular)

As far as I can tell, if this could be replicated in a cheap way, then the eye strain and depth perception would be solved. All that is needed is the Night Vision input and a power supply.

EDIT:

What about hacking up a used Gameboy Micro for the screen and putting it all in the ODST goggles?
    Jan 6, 2010, 2:41 AM - #46

I did some searching the other day and I came up with a list of things your might be interested in if your still planning on adding night vision to your helmet.

LED bulbs

$4.99 Free USPS shipping. Milti Color LEDs

http://store.ledoption.com/ProductDe...0_1LED&click=2

$8.99 10 pack Infrared LED Bulbs Nothing about shipping prices.

http://www.lightobject.com//10x-10mm...m-LED-P91.aspx

NVG Micro camras

$49.99 Nothing about shipping

http://www.wonderhobby.com/miniviwispco.html

Micro LCD display

http://optics.org/cws/product/P000001951
  23. New Recruit
    Jan 6, 2010, 11:06 AM - #47

I think I may have a solution when it comes to the lack of space inside the helmet. How about if the "peak" of the MC helmet above the visor had a hinged under surface? Then all that would be needed it to push on it, let it swing down, then just push it back up when done, and store all the electronics on the inside.
    Jan 6, 2010, 3:53 PM - #48

Take an ODST visor that is clear, and have an opaque blue visor slide down that has an LCD on the inside, unless that brings back the "too close to view for long periods of time" talk. Or maybe if an LCD was put on both the left and ride side of the visor in peripheral vision, like side mirrors that do whatever. By the way, my science experiment's (the one I mentioned in an earlier post) results were that the goggles don't work for nightvision, but cheap digital cameras do work.
    Oct 8, 2012, 8:31 PM - #49

i actually had the same idea and i started taking apart the eyeclop night vision toy (that i've already got) to see what it looks like inside it would be pretty simple to incoporate it into the helmet. also you could try to put it in the halo 3 sniper rifle scope so you could get the same effect like in the game
    Sealgair's Xbox Gamertag Sealgair81
    Oct 9, 2012, 5:37 AM - #50

Originally Posted by Doctorwho10 View Post
    i actually had the same idea and i started taking apart the eyeclop night vision toy (that i've already got) to see what it looks like inside it would be pretty simple to incoporate it into the helmet. also you could try to put it in the halo 3 sniper rifle scope so you could get the same effect like in the game
    You just necroed a two and a half year old thread. Please read the forum rules more thoroughly in the future to avoid that.