Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 5, 2011, 1:26 PM - #51

Originally Posted by Statyk View Post
    Awesome work, thank for showing the lights =] It'll help a ton. But how do you know how to solder the EL Tape? Do you use regular rosin-core lead solder or something else?

Also, you being an inspiration to me, would you like to see my Hazard Engineer suit progress real quick? I've been working on the RIG and shoulders. I would really appreciate it =]

P.s. I hope my constant questions and comments don't bother you. I love this game and to see someone do THIS well with the suit is astonishing.
    Don't worry about the questions and comments. Comments are like project fuel for me. It's good to know that someone appreciates what I'm doing.

As far as questions go, there's a lot of this stuff that I might not think needs explaining or I might be unclear about what I'm doing. If I need to clarify something, please feel free to ask all you want.

There is no soldering for EL tape. If you add heat to it, you'll burn holes through it. Instead, you basically have to clamp the wires onto the conductors and then glue them in place. Then seal the whole thing up with tape.

I looked at your RIG progress pics. Looks like you're off to a good start. If you decide you'd like to spend money on your helmet instead of building one completely from scratch, I'm willing to sell raw casts from my mold.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Blog Entries
    Sep 5, 2011, 1:42 PM - #52

Thorssoli, you've done it again. Fantastic work, and I love how you've used the EL tape. Speaking of the EL tape connections, I saw what I thought was a cool product a while back, called Wire Glue. They describe it as conductive glue for use in place of solder in "low voltage" applications. I couldn't tell you how good it is, but it sounds to me like it just might be suited for those EL tape connections, if it's got a strong enough hold and low enough resistance.
  4. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 5, 2011, 3:41 PM - #53

Originally Posted by Flyerfye View Post
    I saw what I thought was a cool product a while back, called Wire Glue.
    Looks like just what I need. Thanks for the link.
    Sep 6, 2011, 6:43 PM - #54

Originally Posted by thorssoli View Post
    Don't worry about the questions and comments. Comments are like project fuel for me. It's good to know that someone appreciates what I'm doing.

As far as questions go, there's a lot of this stuff that I might not think needs explaining or I might be unclear about what I'm doing. If I need to clarify something, please feel free to ask all you want.

There is no soldering for EL tape. If you add heat to it, you'll burn holes through it. Instead, you basically have to clamp the wires onto the conductors and then glue them in place. Then seal the whole thing up with tape.

I looked at your RIG progress pics. Looks like you're off to a good start. If you decide you'd like to spend money on your helmet instead of building one completely from scratch, I'm willing to sell raw casts from my mold.
    I really do wish i could, itd save me so much time... But apparently, no one likes to hire 17-year-olds in South Jersey, so I have no income for it. =[ And thanks for checking it out. Means a lot =] I just hope I had better materials and experience to do this stuff with no limitations.

One more question... =X.... When you cut the EL Tape, how do you expose the wires? If possible, could you post pictures of it when you do the next helmet?
    Blog Entries
    Sep 6, 2011, 10:42 PM - #55

Dude you are crazy good! that took you like no time at all! just outta curiosity (cuz i was kinda just scanning) this was a scratch build right? looked like it in the first couple photos. love your work man. . . and one last thing. . .

I saws a warthog. . .
    Sep 6, 2011, 10:50 PM - #56

Your work is nothing less than amazing. good build

while going threw your pics my G/f noticed the gnomes & was like "Ive seen those gnomes f/s before & almost bought one"
    after some quick research i found out you made them. small world
    Last edited by hedtrip; Sep 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
  8. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 7, 2011, 3:05 PM - #57

I really do wish i could, itd save me so much time... But apparently, no one likes to hire 17-year-olds in South Jersey, so I have no income for it. =[ And thanks for checking it out. Means a lot =] I just hope I had better materials and experience to do this stuff with no limitations.

One more question... =X.... When you cut the EL Tape, how do you expose the wires? If possible, could you post pictures of it when you do the next helmet?
    Will do. I've got two more of these I'm going to be finishing up completely. One for me and one for ebay (to help pay for this whole project).

Originally Posted by Dh748 View Post
    Dude you are crazy good! that took you like no time at all! just outta curiosity (cuz i was kinda just scanning) this was a scratch build right? looked like it in the first couple photos. love your work man. . . and one last thing. . .

I saws a warthog. . .
    Scratch build, yes.

I bought the warthog to satisfy my long-standing desire to own one. I don't thing it will work though. It's too small, and I'm still surrounded by enough automotive parts to build a full-sized one. I've been trying to talk myself out of starting that project for two years now. So far none of my friends have helped to talk me out of it.

Originally Posted by hedtrip View Post
    Your work is nothing less than amazing. good build

while going threw your pics my G/f noticed the gnomes & was like "Ive seen those gnomes f/s before & almost bought one"
    after some quick research i found out you made them. small world
    Yep. I'm the Combat Garden Gnome guy...

I'm selling them in my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thorssoli

Odd to think that after all of the cool stuff I've made, it's garden gnomes that are making me famous.

Back on topic: I'm starting the chest and back portions of this costume today.

Stay tuned...
  9. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 11, 2011, 3:57 AM - #58

Back on track, I made the rib portions today. After a lot of looking at the references, I decided I could get away with just repeating six unique pieces six times each to get all of the parts I needed. Here's the six different parts lined up:

They're cut from MDF and the raised portions are sheet styrene scraps I had laying around. Here's a shot of the parts all coated with textured paint:

I'll be making a vacformed section for the black parts that connect these pieces together. That'll make more sense as I get it done.

I also completed the prototype for the widget that sits below the neck:

Here it is in primer:

Tomorrow I'll be starting on the sculpt for the upper back and lower spine. Stay tuned...
  10. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 12, 2011, 2:53 AM - #59

I started blocking out the main shapes of the upper back piece:

After a few hours' work, it looked like so:

Turns out I got carried away and did more than just blocking in the rough shapes. Here's a closer shot:

I also poured the rubber to mold the repeating parts of the chest:

More to come. Stay tuned...
  11. 405th Southern Regiment Member vshore100's Avatar
    vshore100's Xbox Gamertag Vshore100
    Sep 12, 2011, 8:50 AM - #60

Looks great Thor. Should be the best one around when it's finished.
    Sep 12, 2011, 3:02 PM - #61

That's it. I give up on mine. =\ I won't have it done in time. Plus, yours is much more proportionate.
    Last edited by Statyk; Sep 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM.
  13. 405th Southern Regiment Member vshore100's Avatar
    vshore100's Xbox Gamertag Vshore100
    Sep 12, 2011, 4:20 PM - #62

That's it. I give up on mine. =\ I won't have it done in time. Plus, yours is much more proportionate.
    I hope you're only kidding. Don't ever give up just because someone else has something better. That's how you learn man. Finish what you started, you'll be glad you did.
    Sep 12, 2011, 5:13 PM - #63

Originally Posted by vshore100 View Post
    I hope you're only kidding. Don't ever give up just because someone else has something better. That's how you learn man. Finish what you started, you'll be glad you did.
    Not just that but I don't think I'll have it done in time for Halloween. =[ and its made out of cardboard and I don't know if i can get EL Tape. It'll be weak and break easily. It's a little bigger than it should be too. Maybe 2-3 inches, which makes a big difference.
    Sep 12, 2011, 5:17 PM - #64

Turns out I got carried away and did more than just blocking in the rough shapes. Here's a closer shot:
    Lol I can see you in the mirror in the top-right.
  16. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 12, 2011, 6:36 PM - #65

Originally Posted by vshore100 View Post
    I'll second that. My first over-the-top costume project was a set of stormtrooper armor. After seven months of constant toil, here's what I came up with:

Even at the time, I could pick out tons of things that were wrong with it. In hindsight, I could've had a full suit mailed to me from ebay for less than $1k and all I would've had to do was rivet it together and paint it for Halloween. Looking at my work in progress and comparing it to the Total Perspective Vortex that is the internet, I was often tempted to can the whole project, spend less time and more money, and walk away with a shiny new costume and not much else.

Instead, I powered through knowing that I wasn't doing the greatest job in the world because I knew it would mean learning a set of skills and gaining experience with new tools and materials. That would allow me to do better work in the future.

You've got a great start going. The back piece is by far the most complex part of this build. With a bit of fiberglass reinforcement and bondo, yours will be a great finished piece. Then it's all downhill from there.

Thus endeth the sermon.

That said, if you want to just get a shiny new costume that you'll just have to rivet together and paint for less than $1k, shoot me an email.
  17. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 13, 2011, 12:12 PM - #66

Almost done with the details on the back:

Here's another angle showing some more of the found items I'm using:

I'll be starting the arm parts today. Stay tuned...
    Sep 13, 2011, 4:59 PM - #67

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Really does help. No one around me gives a crap about it really, so I guess I let it get to me. But I'll finish it for you guys =D One thing, instead of fiberglass, would Hardening Resin be just as good? I heard people use that on Pepakuras to strengthen the paper to a harder material, then apply bondo to smooth (which I want to use to fill in the holes on the side of the cardboard.... Damn cardboard. >>)

P.S. Not big important matters, but my girlfriend and I split that day I said I was going to give up. So I was a bit in the dumps. I'm okay now =P
    Last edited by Statyk; Sep 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM.
    Sep 13, 2011, 6:25 PM - #68

Really nice use of the found objects. Your sculpt is looking really crisp. This should look great lit up.
  20. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 15, 2011, 6:26 AM - #69

Last night I prepped the back piece for moldmaking:

Here I am pouring the first layer of silicone:

Then brushing it back up onto the high parts:

Before I called it a night, I layered on a batch of thicker rubber to build up the thin spots:

I also cast a set of the chest parts:

Stay tuned. The next step will be the beginning of the arm parts...
    Sep 15, 2011, 3:32 PM - #70

God... I wish I knew how to do this molding stuff and the materials you use >> awesome job =]
  22. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 17, 2011, 2:28 AM - #71

None of it's all that complicated. It's just a question of reading a bit before you make bunch of potentially expensive mistakes.

I finished the jacket mold for the back:

The rubber was still a bit tacky though, so I didn't get around to building the mothermold or pulling a cast.

I also got the tiniest start on the right forearm:

It doesn't look like much just yet, but once I've layered on the rest of the skins it'll start to shape up.

Stay tuned...
  23. 405th Pacific Regiment Member thorssoli's Avatar
    Sep 20, 2011, 1:35 PM - #72

The back mold is made:

It works too:

Here's the first cast with all of the greeblies in place:

And here's the start of the strips for the right upper arm:

More to come. Stay tuned...
    Sep 20, 2011, 1:55 PM - #73

Rawr rawr rawr! I'm super excited to see you make that health tube!........impatiently waiting......
    Sep 20, 2011, 3:08 PM - #74

Originally Posted by Pipinacan View Post
    Rawr rawr rawr! I'm super excited to see you make that health tube!........impatiently waiting......
    Lol I can't wait to see how he does it either. =P I got my own style in mind for my suit.
    Blog Entries
    Sep 20, 2011, 6:57 PM - #75

I hate it when people's work is so good it makes mine look like crap. . . XD

that cool, I love how you do your builds. Clay plastic whatever it COOL!!!