ZMX's ODST Armor
A first complete project!
A first complete project!
AS OF AUGUST 21st, 2012, THIS SUIT IS 99% OVER! And here are some pictures :
Well, looks like this will be my first post!
First off, a few words to introduce myself. Northerner, 20, with no past prop experience before this project. I have been lurking on these pages for two years already, and if anything has struck me since, it is the sheer volume of awesomeness that is held within the 405th forums and community. Seriously, there’s some seriously talented people on this board.
So! My build.
I went with an ODST. Why? Well…I like ODSTs. And they’re badass and stuff.
I also thought the ODST armor would be somewhat easier to do than a Spartan’s armor. Although I haven’t tried the latter, I’ll warn any newbie reading this that ODST armor is way harder than it may look at first, has a great many pieces, and is a challengeing first project. That being said, that is no reason not to try it out : just don’t rush as I did at first and take. Your. Time. That’ll spare you a lot of time going back at the workbench because you screwed up a piece…
Second piece of advice : every answer to every question is somewhere on the forums. Sure, the board might be a little messy, but it is a gold mine of information, tutorials and general insights that are of invaluable help during a project. It's just a matter of using the search button...and a bit of lurking too, I'll admit!
Now, without further ado, I shall present my armor as it is now (that is, not quite completed yet). Given that this project exists thanks to the authors of the pepakura files I used, I will name every file used and their author for notoriety’s sake. Oh, and if any of those authors are reading this – if I ever meet you in real life, I owe you a beer and a vigourous handshake. This project couldn’t exist without the 405th, and certainly not without you!
Also, if anyone wonders, the base color is Duplicolor Gunmetal Gray and the red is Krylon Banner Red.
WARNING : multi-posting ahead!
File used : ODST Helmet V2, by Hugh Holder
Method used : Pepakura/resin/rondo/paint
First of, a few words on Hugh Holder’s helmet. First, it is awesome. Second, I found it probably the easiest ODST helmet file to pep. Third…it took me damn long to finish pepping it. There’s a truckload of pieces, and it took me a while to cut them, fold them, glue them, etc. Like Hugh says in his thread, butterfly clips are a must-have.
However, as long as it’s been for me to make it, I highly recommend this file to anyone.
So I pepped it, fitted it with the clips, then glued the whole thing togheter by sections. Following that, I resined the outside and rondo’d the inside…and ran out of the damn stuff. There are a couple of weaker spots (especially around the neck area), but for now I’ll have to live with it. There is very minimal bondo work on the helmet (see previous paranthesis).
Helmet was primed, then painted Duplicolor Gunmetal Gray. The stripe is Krylon Banner red, and the weathering is a few brushes of Duplicolor Chrome.
The visor was made using this GREAT tutorial :http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...-3-ODST-Visors
Although it did take me a few tries, it is a very efficient way to do the angled ODST visor (although getting another color might be a bit trickier considering the use of VHT nite-shades, available only in black). Here’s a closer look of the visor, and a picture taken without flash from within the helmet (visibility is a tad better IRL) :
File used : Kirrou’s Hinged Shoulder (heavily modified by myself) and Shoulder Base by Hugh Holder
Method used : Foam (hence the modifications to the file)
I applaud anyone recognizing the « real » ODST shoulder in that picture. Starting from Kirrou’s file, I had a whole bunch of troubles working with the foam and ended doing something halfway between the file and half from scratch. Will probably re-do it at a later point in time, as these were my first try at foam – and it shows.
For now, it is made of foam, sealed with a mixture of white glue and water (couldn’t find plasti-dip where I live even if my life depended on it), then spray-painted.
I will add a strap with a buckle going from the top of the shoulder and joining with the chest core to hold the damn things in place…they just keep falling if I move!
File used : Hugh Holder’s (modified and botched to the point of being barely recognizable)
Method used : Foam and a whole lot of swearing
To say that the forearms gave me nightmares would be the euphemism of the century. Without a heatgun and very limited tools, it took me three tries to get something looking more or less the part, and at the fourth I stopped halfway and thought, screw this! So I went my own way, going blind for the most part, and here’s the result. Not great (far from being good, even), but will do until I re-do them with pep.