about afking in reach matchmaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingersnapples

i wasn't sure where to put this since it relates to the game halo, but not the universe halo, so i put it here. here we go.

Recently there have been several thousand rank resets and bannings on halo reach matchmaking. you all should know why.
who else thinks that bungie might be taking this to seriously. who really has the right to complain on how someone uses their game. they paid for it, and we all pay live subscription fees. is it really right to ban someone because their wasting their money?
oppinions welcome.
flaming isn't...

If you're talking about rank boosting, I think that's wrong. That's what ranks are about, showing to people just how GOOD you are. If you're legitamitly good, then yes, you should have a high rank. But if you're ****ty and just boosting to look cool, then yeah, I think Bungie should reset ranks. That isn't fair for the other high ranked people for boosters to be sullying a high rank's name.....

I entirely agree with Hyo, but my friend AFK'd for one match so he could go to the bathroom, but didn't make it back in time to play(he left about right as the match started actually), and he still got busted down from Lieutenant. A little too extreme, if you ask me. Maybe if someone AFK'd several times in a row, or repeatedly over the course of a month, and even then only a couple ranks at a time. It takes a long time to get to Lieutenant, and one match that you happen to miss on accident destroying that really isn't fair.

I pay for my game, system and live so I can have fun. If someone on my "team" isn't even playing, I am not having fun. This is why they did the resets. People like me said, "Hey! This isn't fun for me!" I"m guessing there are a lot of people that share my opinion.

Also, I agree completely with Hyokenseisou.

it rarley happened in halo 3. in reach ranks will never be a solid difiner of skill in normal matchmaking. only in the arena. (and besides, you actually rank up faster if you actually play the game! i have two people with post-general ranks on my frends list that can vouch for it.)
besides, their money, do we really have a right to tell them how to use it?
(for the record, i have not been reset.)
afking usually is in firefight, competitive matchmaking is safe. when i see someone who is afking i think 'hey, to bad for him. more kills for me!' and that is the case.

I personally am happy with this. And I can see why they are doing it. Like someone else pointed out, if I'm in a game and someone else is acting like a fool or just screwing around, it's just not fun anymore. I cannot tell you how many times I've played a FF MM game only to get teamed up with some loser who just stands around, and occasionally shield taps me when I'm in combat.

You couldn't boost yourself in Halo 3 like you can in Reach, and they are taking the initiative to fix that very problem.

Also, I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole, "I had to use the bathroom" excuse. I've played more than my fair share of Halo, and you know how to plan for such things, or in this case, just WAIT. And if you absolutely cannot wait for the game to end, just quit. The worst that will happen is you can't play Halo for a whole 15 minutes. I highly doubt the universe will end.

Personally, I don't mind the recent resets for Firefight Matchmaking AFK-ing. To be honest, I don't really care if people AFK in a Firefight game (unless its Limited) because it just leaves more kills for me.

However, I think AFK-ing and quitting in Multiplayer Matchmaking is a much more serious offense, and one that I think should be dealt with much more sternly.

So I think bans/resets should go to people who:
1. AFK in Firefight Limited (for obvious reasons: using up precious lives).
2. AFK-ing and quitting in Multiplayer Matchmaking.

I will say that I think it should be a progressive punishment system where the penalties get worse and worse after each offense.

Is AFKing ethical... thats the question. Those who determine the rules, and the majority of those that follow those rules, would say it is unethical, regardless of who it does or does not affect.

You know that the game creator is the creator of the rules by which you must play. Owning a copy of the game does not entitle you to create your own rules. AFKing is unethical (not conforming to approved standards of social or professional behavior) and therefore those who are AFKing are punished.

I hear alot of people saying that AFK isn't cheating, it's an exploit and if they shouldn't be punished by the creators because they have an imperfect system.

Let me make my point about this being an exploit vs unethical.

Exploit; verb
To make use of selfishly or unethically.
Unethical; adj
dishonest, immoral

Synonyms: cheating, corrupt, crooked, dirty*, dirty-dealing, dishonorable, disreputable, double-crossing, fake, fishy, flimflam, fly-by-night, illegal, improper, mercenary, scam*, shady*, sharp*, slick*, slippery*, sneaky*, two-faced, two-timing, underhand, unfair, unprincipled, unprofessional, unscrupulous, wrong
Time for my favorite part of my story.... analogy time.

#1 Owning a Car doesn't mean you can use it as you please. If you break the rules of society that determined how you may operate that car, you may be restricted on how you can use that car in the future, or the privilege of using it can be taken from you completely without compensation for your monetary loss or the replacement of your investment into that car. Anyone caught AFKing should argue to the judge that they were speeding but didn't hurt anyone or cause an accident and therefore shouldn't have to pay the ticket, just don't tell them I told you to say it, you're on your own with that one.

#2 You want to know why lawyers and politicians are often though of poorly?.... It's because some often do things that society views as wrong, but they operated within the legal limits of law for personal gain, which is merely a fancy way of saying they exploited the system. Anyone who can successfully argue that AFKing in Reach should not be punished should look into becoming a lawyer or a politician.

And before anyone starts saying that I am stereo typing Lawyers and politicians... I am demonstrating the origin of a stereotype, I am not saying that I support it, nor believe it to be true for all those concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back