About To Start Rookie Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenocrates

Jr Member
So here I am all excited, got my card stock, got my X Acto knife, some super glue, and I even got a good amount of friends together that want to work on armor as well. One friend is tackling a full suit of Mark VI, another friend decided to try a CQB helmet (which is turning out quite good), another guy is doing Rogue, another EOD, and one guy is even doing Recon. I decided to go ahead and try a Rookie helmet.

Went on Pepakura designer, scaled myself properly and was just over viewing some of the pieces and came across something that hopefully someone has a solution for.

Just in case you are wondering Im using the Ral Partha unfold. And Im seeing multiple pieces with this kind of problem.
Uhoh.jpg

Anyone?

By the way I know the whole "pictures or it didn't happen" rule so I will definitely take pictures of our work when we start working later on today.

Having done this helmet, I suggest just cutting where the lines are on this one. One tab will be smaller, is all. I think Ral Partha suggests just removing some of those insane tiny tabs entirely and filling in the little holes later, and it's the right way to go. You can take a little bit of spare card stock later and make your own tab by gluing it to the inside of the helmet. Best of luck, I can be more detailed if needed.

MJOLNIR Warrior said:
Just in case you are wondering Im using the Ral Partha unfold. And Im seeing multiple pieces with this kind of problem.
Uhoh.jpg

Several of the pieces that I'm working on had that problem as well. All that I would do is cut out the tab that overlays, so that the bottom one is a smaller piece. If it's just a connecting tab, then it poses no problem, as you can still connect it with the remainder of the tab that you cut. If it's an outside, detail piece, I'd do the same thing anyway, and once you get it all formed, you can just fiberglass over the gap formed by the shorter piece (Hope that makes sense). Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help. Red means cut.

pephelp.jpg

However, some tabs on that thing are so small they're unfoldable/ungluable, and should be removed entirely.

Awesome thanks guys that clears out a whole bunch. I had edge ID off and much to my surprise these are actually things I should connect, I wonder if i should just cut as if those stupid triangles weren't there (sorry if thats what one of you meant, playing Team Snipers at the moment)

Thank you very much for your help, going to post a WIP thread once I get some pictures of us working!

Yeah, some of the tabs are way too small to do anything useful with... I made another picture, but I think you've got the hang of it. Here's the picture anyway, might help someone else.

pephelp2.jpg

Flyerfye said:
Yeah, some of the tabs are way too small to do anything useful with... I made another picture, but I think you've got the hang of it. Here's the picture anyway, might help someone else.

pephelp2.jpg

That is awesome, should help me out when I get to that part because I heard those "ear" pieces are difficult.

Thank you so much for your help, you are added to my friends list for being so helpful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, I was right when I did it on My Build Flyerfye your the man. i had this problem on my build as well and Just looked at what was there and did just as you showed in your diagram,

Mjolnir, Just take your time and yes the ear peices are A little dificult, Flyerfye and some others Gave me some advice and I followed andJust Resined my bucket this morning after being up till 5:30am Finnishing the pep.

Just Go for it and take your Time one peice of advice that helped me is before you Cut and score look at the Lines close nd imagine How ther going to bend, then make your cus. cause sometimes you may get into a cutting rythem and Cut the wrong tab cause it looks Similar ie a valey instead of a mountain fold. Anyhow get this Project up and running. If i can do it Shoot anyone can.

Pfff, don't sing my praises, there is only one thing I know how to do properly, and it's how to pep that dang helmet. Most of my info is straight from Ral Partha, anyway. But yeah, hit me up if you (or anyone else) need any more help with that thing.

Haha well I just got back from practicing. I totally scaled my helmet wrong so I just decided to practice using an X Acto knife for the first time, super gluing and folding. Its fun, tomorrow Im going to re-print the helmet (Keeping the scale at the default 29CM. Smart idea?) and really take my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back