Foam Acrylic paint help

H5iskindaundr8d

Hey guys H5 here, gotta a question. So when my spray painted foam props are finished, I usually detail it using acrylic paints. But some of the colors I choose tend to reveal the color underneath it. For example, if I use red paint on a black helmet, the black would still pop out from underneath it. How would I make it to where the doesn’t allow that to happen? Thanks.
(also my first post :p)

Hey man, nice to finally see you on the forums!

So this seems to a an issue of the paint being too thin, I'd recommend doing a few thin coats as opposed to a single thick coat. you could also prime it in white or grey so it makes the colour pop a bit more and mask off the areas you want in black, red, etc. Also one really simple thing I find myself forgetting all the time, make sure you shake your rattlecan enough! There's a huge difference on coverage between a properly shaken can vs the opposite.

Best of luck!

Hey man, nice to finally see you on the forums!

So this seems to a an issue of the paint being too thin, I'd recommend doing a few thin coats as opposed to a single thick coat. you could also prime it in white or grey so it makes the colour pop a bit more and mask off the areas you want in black, red, etc. Also one really simple thing I find myself forgetting all the time, make sure you shake your rattlecan enough! There's a huge difference on coverage between a properly shaken can vs the opposite.

Best of luck!
Preciate the advice, will do !

Usually when I spray paint, I try to start with the brightest colour and work my way to the darkest. But if you’re just detailing, multiple thin coats can help, or perhaps even doing a layer of white primer and then the colour.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back