Another Reach Mark V Torso

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks amazing L3X! Great work! I'm still debating if I want a foam torso or if I want to try to tackle unfolding it myself and go the pep route. Something about having actual hard armor parts appeals to me, and I've never had much luck with foam before. But this model looks amazing. Thank you so much for putting so much hard work into it!

Edit: Well, started to do my own unfold and then realized there aren't any support struts in there... I'm assuming that's because this file is meant for foam and not pep. Oh well, I'll just be patiently waiting to see if a file with support struts appears lol.

Well, started to do my own unfold and then realized there aren't any support struts in there... I'm assuming that's because this file is meant for foam and not pep. Oh well, I'll just be patiently waiting to see if a file with support struts appears lol.

good catch. i was about to start my own unfold too when i saw your post lol!! i agree with you too about the foam and pep pieces. the hard armor just feels cool :D i plan on a combo of foam and pep for this piece. stoked to have this new file cause i built his V3 and it was a little too small so im gona use it and build a suit for my brother with the parts that were a little too small for me so it works out :D

thanks again L3X!!

I'll play around with the file today and post the scaling equation later. I have a feeling that they're not going to differ by much.
This is strange quoting myself but...

I looked at the V4 file and the scaling formula turned out to be the same as that of the V3 (male torso only) found in the first post.

lol! t hanks Ral! Think I may go with the default size! scaled it too small last time :p anyone close to a finished unfold?

Hi guys, I'm a little confused on one thing... so it's all placed out for half the armor (V3 and V4) and you need to flip it (in Pep designer 2d Menu -> invert pattern?) and rearrange the pieces so they fit accordingly? Why isn't there just a full unfold of all right and left pieces? If it's a lot of work I understand I just wasn't sure if there was a specific reason for this.

Also, with the knife and sheath, how would be the best way to attach it to the torso? Thanks and great work, I am in awe of everything you've done.

What you're talking about is for the foam templates. There's only a right side so that after you print it out you can just flip the template over and trace that one too. Currently there is no Pep for V4 only V3.

Haha its okay. Matth101 and I were just about to hop on unfolding the V4 torso for pep, and then realized there weren't any support struts. We could still unfold it, but without support, the chances for warping increase dramatically. And I know that after I put that much work into pepping such an amazing file, the last thing I want to happen is for it to sag and warp from gravity before it hardens. That just equals a sad day my friends...

L3X, V4 is unbelievable. That is some truly fantastic work sir!! We greatly appreciate all of your time, effort, and hard work that you put into this. Thanks again.

-Matt

Hey, I know someone has probably asked this, but are there step by steps for the foam templates file? I feel like I'm gonna mess up royal lol

EDIT: Nevermind I found a tut on another page :D

while looking at the scaling for the different versions i noticed that v4 was a little different than the rest. with the v3 and several other torso files i looked thru the height is always just a tad more than the width. its about a 10-15 mm increase. with the v4 foam templates, the width is almost twice the height. is it supposed to be like that? i didnt know if it was an error or not since there were pieces taken out of the V4 build to make it foam compatible.

Unfortunately Pepakura Designer gives you the scale of all of the objects added together. So all of the other pieces in the file, the spine pieces and armor ability module, confuse the program. It combines the width of everything in the file based on how its spread out. It makes it hard to scale things going by just the measurements the program gives you.

suggestions on scaling, then? im not sure which parts from the model are making it shoot out to that much more than the height. if the height was the higher number, then it would be a safe assumption that scaling the width appropriately then it would be ok when you incorporate the spine and other pieces with it. but with the width being the bigger number, i dont feel safe making that same assumption.

suggestions on scaling, then? im not sure which parts from the model are making it shoot out to that much more than the height. if the height was the higher number, then it would be a safe assumption that scaling the width appropriately then it would be ok when you incorporate the spine and other pieces with it. but with the width being the bigger number, i dont feel safe making that same assumption.

Here's a simple explanation. Look at the 3d view in Pepakura. The program is saying that if you built the model and laid the parts out as shown in the 3d window (the torso with the ability device and the spine next to it), that's how wide it would be, and the height would be the lowest point of ANY of those objects to the highest point of any of the objects if they were laid out exactly as shown in the 3d window if that makes sense.

What i would do is just scale the V3 torso file to however it would fit on you, then plug whatever number it shows for HEIGHT in to the V4 model and it should be about the same because L3X said the model is pretty much the same. Hope that makes sense. At least that's what I'm going to do... :D

There is another solution. If you have pep designer (and even if you don't have the key to be able to save things), you can eliminate the portions of the model that are causing the problem. If you open the model in pep designer, bring down the "3D Menu" and click on the "Show Objects List" tab, you will see a list of the existing models in the program. I'll warn you, the list in this particular file is a bit long since there are a lot of floating faces. Anyway, start clicking on those list items and the ones you click on will disappear. When the items you wish to eliminate disappear, right click on that line item and delete it (don't worry if you wish to keep those items, this is only temporary). Delete all the items you wish and double check the width and you'll notice that it has changed. Go ahead and scale it as you would since now it is just the torso, but don't worry about saving. The thing you will want is the scale factor (the fourth number below the height width and depth numbers). When you get the model scaled to your liking, copy down the scale factor number, re-open the model with all the extra models and enter that number and the entire thing will be scaled to the way you want it.

It's a little involved, but I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back