Armor - to clear coat or not to clear coat

I add a clear coat. I think a clear coat is important for water proofing and protecting your paint job. Not that I will be wearing it in the rain but if it gets wet I don't want to worry about my blackwash or anything. Just make sure it's matte clear coat. Accidently put some kind of not matte clear coat on one of my pieces and was very confused why it was so shiny all of a sudden.

Just be sure to let the existing paint *FULLY* cure for a few days and test, test, test.
The last thing you want is to spend all that time on a killer paint job and have it react badly to the clear coat.
You won't be happy if your metallics get dull, silver becomes gray, or you get the dreaded 'wrinkle skin'.
Some people use plastic spoons to test on... I found these herb garden stakes at the dollar store to test on then label the back. (and put with the part to remind me where I left off)
But whatever technique you like, don't take shortcuts in the final steps: test and test again

Attachments

• IMG_6693.JPEG
    IMG_6693.JPEG
    80.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6698.JPG
    IMG_6698.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 58
totally agree with everyone i get rafts i have left from the prints and use them as a test for the paints and clear coats to make sure i dont get (THE PEEL) but yes paint seal then detail that way if you mess up you can wipe it off and get it right then seal one last time it will be a great look part of your armor

I do a gloss clear coat because it makes the armor shiny and kinda gives a metallic look to me. The acrylics for weathing still look like dirt under the clear coat. Just keep in mind that the type of clear coat will change the overall look, so pick one depending on what finish you're going for

Adding a clear coat would certainly help it not scratch as easily. Personally I didn’t put a clear coat in my suit because I wanted my armor to look Matt and the clear coat gives it a bit of a shine. As a result my armor got pretty scratched up on day one of wearing it but for me at least I don’t mind the scratches.

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back