• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jango3tears

So I've decided that since I want to make a career out of making costumes, I figured it was high time I made a build thread like this. Here's the details (and yes I know it sound and honestly it is ambitious) I have been asked by friends of mine from school to build them each a Mk V armor set for pax 2018. Each person has different wishes for their suits. As of right now I have to build (including my own) 4 Mk V armor sets and a ODST suit based off of the insurrectionist leader from the long running series Red Vs. Blue. The goal is for my suit and the ODST suit at least to be built for New York Comic Con later this year. As of now I have completed the foam work for my helmet, my boots, and one forearm. Included are pictures of what the suits need to look like (thought the color doesn't matter) and the status of my suit. Input is greatly appreciated so please comment and make suggestions I'm open to any ideas, suggestions, comments, or criticisms.
-Will(jango3tears)
(armor designs)
238125-2e06de767aaa67ef110b18c719979891.jpg
238124-51d946e1385605c615cbef241e26972c.jpg
238127-f3b74e2f967148d8c52686640051534a.jpg
238128-534f6f0bc7319c898052e0bb7041ae88.jpg
238126-96adf8270c002467c7bd71f700f7d025.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting but here is the progress pics so far. sorry for the lack of build pics, wasn't thinking of doing this until after the parts were made.
Helmet work
238129-3c5ae3c9925b64a6fdb980916c3c15b9.jpg
238130-f4fab175269484d13788f077d5e560b1.jpg
238131-c74e15a4f3acc1e288200ed36bab667c.jpg
238133-8c5bf3e05c2353c64706fe6ae4f3bdbd.jpg
238132-a6d83d3d5b23adf00ad27cb782d289e4.jpg

(forearm so far)
238135-ef6ae98d6a228649192293909bed2e3c.jpg
238134-0a965f2d89ee399c7839b51e2c944a51.jpg

so tell me what you think, I'll do boots when I have more of the legs built, same goes for a suit up I'll do that once I have more built

can you make the pics larger? it's a little hard to see.
but as far as I can tell, it looks really clean! nice build!

and yes, of course you can do it! especially with this great quality! well done!

4 MK V armour suits AND an ODST, ON ONE THREAD!?!?
IMG_2631.GIF

Better buckle your seat belts boys and gals were in for a fun ride!!
Can't wait to see all these suits my friend! You CAN do it!!

HA! you made my day, Schankerz!

and Will, you've got a lot of suits going right now!
they'd better pay you well for all the blood, sweat, and Hot glue burns coming!:D

Dang, all you guys are gonna look awesome together!

also, are you posting the images as a 'thumbnail' or as a 'full image'?
it may help if you switch between the two to get bigger pictures.

Last edited:
HA! you made my day, Schankerz!

and Will, you've got a lot of suits going right now!
they'd better pay you well for all the blood, sweat, and Hot glue burns coming!:D

Dang, all you guys are gonna look awesome together!

also, are you posting the images as a 'thumbnail' or as a 'full image'?
it may help if you switch between the two to get bigger pictures.
I'll be putting them as a thumbnail because the full image is "too full" and it's massively huge. and yes they will be paying bucko bucks for their suits.

4 MK V armour suits AND an ODST, ON ONE THREAD!?!?
View attachment 238179
Better buckle your seat belts boys and gals were in for a fun ride!!
Can't wait to see all these suits my friend! You CAN do it!!
Also thanks for the support and laughs Schankerz it made my day too.

But as for now its update time, I know it's not much but its enough for a person on an extremely tight budget per suit.

Helmet work:
IMG_1239.jpg IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1241.jpg IMG_1243.jpg IMG_1244.jpg

Also I made a side arm for my suit:
IMG_1245.jpg

Also and I gotta give credit where credit is due Spacemeat, If it wasn't for his build thread I wouldn't have known what material to use to fill in the gaps in the foam but here it is for all to see:
IMG_1238.jpg
That's about it for this update again sorry its not much but it is progress, (gotta be on the right track somewhere:p)
Thanks again for reading.
-Will, (jango3tears)

So I know its been a while since I've posted last BUT I have some big news for y'all. I have completed the shins, and torso ( the biggest pain in the butt of this build so far whit three more spartan variants to go yay lol) in all seriousness it was a lot of fun to build the torso. I also have plenty of pictures (I wanted to wait till I felt I had made enough progress and while I was working on the chest I didn't feel like I had made enough progress.) Without further adeu this is my progress so far

Torso:
IMG_1261.jpg IMG_1262.jpg IMG_1263.jpg
Unfortunately I think I forgot to take pictures of the process of me building the shins but I do have as much of my suit as i have completed (still have to figure out what I'm going to do for the under suit. Any suggestions?)
IMG_1260.jpg
also an this is a surprise I managed to maintain my sewing skills and made the neck seal
Neck seal:
IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1252.jpg IMG_1254.JPG
I also figured I'd show y'all what sewing machine I used. (note I got this as a birthday present, but the person I got it from said they got it from an estate sale so it never hurts to go to those you'll never know what you'll find) (( side note too, did any of you know Husquevarna made sewing machines, I thought they only made outdoorsy type power tools))
IMG_1249.jpg
I know it was a lot to take in but I was in a crunch because I had to finish what I could before I went back to school. Hoping to get some more armor done while at school (don't know if it will work out). Anyways thanks for the support guys its you guys that keep this thread motivated, more to come (hopefully).
-Will

Nice work, Will!(y) now, I have a recommendation...you see how in some seam areas there's a little bit of glue sticking out of the seams?
well, this is a super easy fix. easy peasy.:)

you'll need to get a heat gun, and heat up the hot glue on the outer surface. not too much, because you might burn the foam. (which is very bad)
after you heat up the glue, wipe the glue off with your finger and throw that little blob of glue into the trash. if you can feel the heat, wear gloves. once that blob is wiped off, there will probably be some little tiny blobs remaining. heat it up again until there's no more external glue.

start on a test piece, to see how you like the method, and to make sure you don't accidentally mess up and burn your foam, or yourself.:)

also, be careful not to separate the glue seams between your armor pieces. this can cause a really bad day.

it did for me...:D

keep up the good work, and I look forward to more progress shots!

Thanks for the tip mblackwell1002 i will definitely look into this when I get the chance to continue building armor, being at school sucks cause i can't build armor as often as I'd like.

have any progress, Will? it sounds like school is sucking up all your time, but have you been able to make much?

Unfortunately school has been sucking up all my time and have been unable to make any progress on the armor as of yet I'll keep trying to find time to work on the armor.
-Will

Ah, I see. Well, I completely understand. Homework always sucks up your weekends, I'm guessing. It's a large load to bear to do homework on the weekdays. Fortunately summer break is coming soon! :D
there's light at the end of the tunnel, and it totally isn't a train!:p

Sorry its been a while unfortunately haven't made any progress on the armor build what I did do was go to PAX East 2017 which was a blast even though I was only the for Sunday show, I did do cosplay and went as Edward Kenway, me and some friends all did Assassin's Creed cosplays. As I said I went as Edward Kenway two of my friends went as Connor Kenway and Arno Dorian. Post convention me and these same people are planning on going to the NY Renaissance Faire in costume also doing Assassin's Creed. I may post the build thread of that costume on The RPF for y'all to follow, if you so desire. If I go that route I'm remaking the Connor Kenway costume that my friend wore both costumes being made from scratch but that will be posted in that thread too. sorry to not comment in a while been focusing on school a lot.

-Jango3tears AKA. Will

So far it looks great. I always set goals like having a specific part done by a specific time then it can be streamlined and done by the time your ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back