Can 1 Pack Of This Fiberglass Be Enough For A Helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolguy26

Jr Member
Will this be enough?

[attachment=13447:stuff.bmp]

how much is enough? like 1, 2, 3??

im gonna do an iron man helmet, and im wondering if pack like that is enough.

i only have a $25 dollar budget and resin is $16, and each pack is $7

how much do you guys use

if its the standard sized bag that I pay a similar price for you will easily have enough.

i am not sure but if u could find out and tell us where to get it then that would really be helpful

(could you also tell me what type of resin to use, i have no idea where to get aqua resi and the bfx video tells us to use that

guilty said:
i am not sure but if u could find out and tell us where to get it then that would really be helpful

(could you also tell me what type of resin to use, i have no idea where to get aqua resi and the bfx video tells us to use that

that fiberglass thing is sold in auto zone. i dont know about other stores but i see it there for 6 bucks

and is it fiberglass mat, or cloth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, about half of that package will be enough for a helmet.

I use cloth, from what I've seen mat isn't as neat and clean as cloth.

Here I get resin at Wall-Mart $11 for the resin and $6 for the fiber mat or cloth and I usually use 1/2 of a pack or so per helmet seems to come out nice and strong. The cloth is allot neater but the mat sucks up more resin for a stronger layer. The cloth is better for sharp edges using both makes nice and neat and very strong

Not to hijack the thread, but my question is related:

How many layers of fiberglass do people typically use? On the parts that I've 'glassed, I've used just one. However, I'm contemplating going back and adding another layer. Needless to say, that's more fiberglass/resin that I would need to purchase, and more time/labor placed between me and the Bondo stage of my armor. Is it just a qualitative sort of thing, where you just say, "meh, this is strong enough," or is there a sort of standard that people typically use (i.e. xx layers of fiberglass per piece)?

guilty said:

I see you are from Canada so I can can tell you right now that you can find most of your building supplies at wal-mart. I bought all my cardstock, fiberglass and resin from there, even some of my spray paint I got from there. You can also find bondo body filler at Canadian tire. Everything is under or around $10CDN, except for the resin which is closer to $20.

Also, if you're from Canada then I'd think it'll be too cold to use the resin? Unless you're going to use a curebox or some other method, the resin won't dry properly.

Lastly, not to shamelessly plug/thread jack but I have a trial kit of Aquaresin for sale if you do want to use that instead (you can use it indoor, will cure at a different a.k.a. more friendly range of temperatures). You can PM me and we can talk details.

NAGA said:
Not to hijack the thread, but my question is related:

How many layers of fiberglass do people typically use? On the parts that I've 'glassed, I've used just one. However, I'm contemplating going back and adding another layer. Needless to say, that's more fiberglass/resin that I would need to purchase, and more time/labor placed between me and the Bondo stage of my armor. Is it just a qualitative sort of thing, where you just say, "meh, this is strong enough," or is there a sort of standard that people typically use (i.e. xx layers of fiberglass per piece)?

I've heard that people use around 2 or 3. Personally, I've used just one layer on all my pieces but if the weather was better for me, I'd have gone back and reinforced a few areas that take a lot of abuse or flex or just need to be more solid. I think the only place I might've doubled up on the first time were the boots as I wanted to be able to take some abuse. Specific places I would go back and reinforce would probably be the cod piece and maybe the back of the thighs and front of the shins. Just watch the weight of those pieces :)

Also, more on topic, yes the 1 pack of fiberglass is enough for a helmet. I was actually almost able to finish my entire Mk. VI HD chest piece with one pack of fiberglass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back