Cnc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MexicanVendetta

has anyone here ever used a CNC machine to make mc armor and what material would i use so the machine will cut it.
i kinda just need an overview on how to do it using the machine beacuse i have a class in school that has one.

thanks
lorenzo

You might want to ask the instructor of that class, rather than here.

Sorry but I really dont know what is a cnc, perhaps is because I speak french. But would you put a picture of it and is utility plz. I would be happy to know what is a cnc machine.
Thanks

Pat

Garzak -> Un cnc c'est une machine que tu donnes un model 3D pis sa te le reproduit dans ta face dans le matériau que tu veux :)

Yeah a CNC have been used to make armor, just look at www.legendaryarmor.com, they used something similar to a CNC (I believe it's called SLA but not sure)

if you were to use a cnc machine to carve the chief out you would have to only use it to make forms to do a vacuu form on because a cnc machine unless it is five access cannot carve the chief in something light enough to wear unless you do it in hard foam and resin over it!!

Vampyredh said:
if you were to use a cnc machine to carve the chief out you would have to only use it to make forms to do a vacuu form on because a cnc machine unless it is five access cannot carve the chief in something light enough to wear unless you do it in hard foam and resin over it!!

Not true, you could even use something as low as a 3 axis table with a rotational indexer for the front & back. The only thing that would show up & look kinda funny are build lines but even those can be taken off if the machine has a high enough resolution capability.

You would however need a pretty big thick block of aluminum or plastic. I would probably recommend that you vaccuform the parts instead as it would cost you only about $20.00 to build a vacuuformer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some parts of the armor would be too big for a school's CNC, but you could mill out some handplates if you wanted too. I have been looking around for access to a CNC machine myself, I want to have a set aluminum COG tags made.

Thanks for everyone, I already know what this was. It's only my english who is not good haha.

Pat

The LA guys used renshape, its the consistency of wood but has no grain whatsoever. then they molded it.
I would suspect that your schools CNC mill is probably only a 2D one, you could do the hand plates with it, but that's it...

thanks guys and do any of you guys know a place that sells polystrene for the vaccufoam like lowes or something.my schools cnc machine does 3-D and i think i could make an assault rifle or battle rifle but of course ill color it at home well thanks for the ideas and help.:)

MexicanVendetta said:
thanks guys and do any of you guys know a place that sells polystrene for the vaccufoam like lowes or something.my schools cnc machine does 3-D and i think i could make an assault rifle or battle rifle but of course ill color it at home well thanks for the ideas and help.:)

Why not just vacuuform acrylic? It's cheap and easy to get. Home Depot even sells it. Or you could try experimenting with polycarbonate to see if that works any better or worse.

LastSpartan said:
Yeah a CNC have been used to make armor, just look at www.legendaryarmor.com, they used something similar to a CNC (I believe it's called SLA but not sure)
SLA uses a material and forms a piece by adding to it layer by layer through a computer model.

CNC machines an existing piece of material and takes material away to form something from a computer model.

They sound very similar, but are very different at the same time. Like adding clay versus cutting clay away to shape a sculpture.

I'm in the process of building a CNC router and I plan on using simple insulation foam as my material source. It's lightweight but dense, and can be tooled to a fairly high resolution model. Cheap too.

Once you get your prototype, its as "simple" as sealing it and then making your mold. :p

Stereolithographic Laser Apparatus (SLA) uses a tank of photopolymer that is laser hardened as you said, layer by layer with a resolution as good as 16 microns thick. The downside is that if you go super big (like you would need with armor) is that SLA has a tendency to be pretty brittle and will shatter if dropped. It is also super expensive, probably $1000/part. The other alternative is Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) which is a tiny bit cheaper. The most cost effective way to do it would be either milling it on a CNC machine or vacuuforming it cuz I know that you don't have the money to CNC or SLS a torso!

I am currently building a cnc machine from "dead" printers. I am using the stepper motors do drive it, and making my own motor to drive the bits. I didn't want to post anything about it until it was finished, but it is possible to cnc mill a chest/back piece. You will just need a large sized cnc mill, or do it in pieces.

An excellent place for beginners to learn cnc milling is here.

The machine I am building is a 3 axis, but I would love to have a 5 axis machine like this.

If you want to venture into the CNC world I would recommend to following two sites

CNC Zone
Hobby CNC

I am close to having my own machine completed, I just need to finish my Z Axis and wire and test.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back