Easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummi60

Jr Member
Hi, im a new guy (register a few hour ago) and i need a SIMPLE halo thing to make with pepakura, i have tried the helmet but i was unskilled and i sucked at using pepakura and sucked at gutting so the helmet did not come out at all. So im looking for a SIMPEL thing like a gun or a simple helmet.

THX.

PS. I DONT WANT A GRANADE OR A TRIPMINE.

update:

i got my halo 1 marine helmet all cut out and glued together i added some pic also.

[attachment=13647:urmo pildid 009.jpg]

[attachment=13648:urmo pildid 002.jpg]

[attachment=13649:urmo pildid 001.jpg]

Sorry for no left side pic, it was too large.

estonianguy said:
Hi, im a new guy (register a few hour ago) and i need a SIMPLE halo thing to make with pepakura, i have tried the helmet but i was unskilled and i sucked at using pepakura and sucked at gutting so the helmet did not come out at all. So im looking for a SIMPEL thing like a gun or a simple helmet.

THX.

PS. I DONT WANT A GRANADE OR A TRIPMINE.

well first and foremost

"WELCOME TO THE 405TH"

it's great to see more enthusiastic prop builders coming to this community

first of all

your doing a very good decision in doing a simple project to gain your experience , i think you should try the halo 3 marine . Because its incredibly easy and pretty awesome looking

second of all

read,read,read it will be the most important thing to you if you read as much information about any form of prop making as possible

so then you can show your talent to the rest of us 405thers

thirdly of all

HAVE FUN!! and good luck with your future builds , shows us your talent ;)

cant wait to see your first build

Last edited by a moderator:
GiR3892 said:
well first and foremost

"WELCOME TO THE 405TH"

it's great to see more enthusiastic prop builders coming to this community

first of all

your doing a very good decision in doing a simple project to gain your experience , i think you should try the halo 3 marine . Because its incredibly easy and pretty awesome looking

second of all

read,read,read it will be the most important thing to you if you read as much information about any form of prop making as possible

so then you can show your talent to the rest of us 405thers

thirdly of all

HAVE FUN!! and good luck with your future builds , shows us your talent ;)

cant wait to see your first build

fist thanks for the reply and thanks for the marine idea, i will try to make it and ill try to upload the photos and make some videos of the progress, btw where can i get the cool signature that says how much of my armor is done. thanks again.

To do something easy, take something that doesn't have a lot of details. Grenades are small but not necessarily easy. The ODST grenade for instance by DreadMullet isn't an easy build. Also considering that grenades are closed provides its own little challenge.

The assault rifle by Robogenesis or the Battle rifle by Clownpuncher (I believe there is only one) are I believe a good start for someone wanted to pepakura. There is not a lot of detail to start with. There is some. The scope on the battle rifle should be fun. And these two are landmarks that can be used with any costume.

I'd personally try the H2 ODST helm. It's pretty easy, just make sure you have the low-def version. Next, I'd go with the MarkVI lowdef models. After that I believe Belakor has a nice smooth Recon helm that you could try. Those should all be on the wiki. halocostuming.wikia.com

Cheers!

There's a low def assault rifle somewhere. Looks easy. A regular SMG isn't too bad either. If you want some practice with armor, turn out a few MC handplates. 1 page if scaled down a bit, and get the low def version.

I wouldnt move on to anything over 5 pages if your really wanting an easy start. This way you are able to do a simple pepekura piece, figure out how it all works, and find out what you can do better on next time. the problem with doing something like a helmet first is that you really dont know what your doing and you'll spend a few days working on something that could be a lot better if you knew a few tricks before hand. start with something like a shoulder piece would be my suggestion.

Ghost147 said:
I wouldnt move on to anything over 5 pages if your really wanting an easy start. This way you are able to do a simple pepekura piece, figure out how it all works, and find out what you can do better on next time. the problem with doing something like a helmet first is that you really dont know what your doing and you'll spend a few days working on something that could be a lot better if you knew a few tricks before hand. start with something like a shoulder piece would be my suggestion.

i have a halo 1 marine helmet already cut out and glued togather.

Boba Fett said:
There's a low def assault rifle somewhere. Looks easy. A regular SMG isn't too bad either. If you want some practice with armor, turn out a few MC handplates. 1 page if scaled down a bit, and get the low def version.

if you could give me the page for the low def assault rifle i would be happy.

Demolition said:
your helm looks ok just try using thicker card and scoring folds with an xacto knife but good work man keep it up

thanks. :)

Your helm doesn't look too bad. Looks about the same when I first started. Well keep up the good work and welcome to the 405th.

Can't wait to see your finished gear.

Hey. Welcome to the forums!

It's probably a good call starting off with something easy but in all honesty it doesn't take too long to get the hang of pepakura but it takes a long time to make a suit. As such, if you want to make a chief suit I'd start off with his bracers or hand pieces or something simple with less detail, and then move on to more complicated pieces. You can also use low def pep files which will require less parts/folds, and thus be easier to construct. I'd recommend checking out the pepakura tutorials on here, they're a really great resource (I'm just starting too).

A few things to remember (they've helped me so far):

1. Use heavy weight paper (110lb cardstock) because it will hold its shape better and go through the resin process better

2. score your folds. What scoring does is it breaks the fibers on one side of the paper so that when you make the fold, the paper fails consistently along a straight line. You can score easily by using the reverse side of your xacto knife blade.

3. Use hot glue. Resin tends to dissolve most other glues and the last thing you want is to invest hours in a pep only to have it fall apart on you. Rubber cement is ok too but is more difficult to work with, takes longer to cure, and has more potential to warp the paper if you use too much.

4. Keep your Xacto knife sharp. Sharp knives will go through the paper easily. When the knife gets dull is when you have to start forcing it and when you have to start forcing it is when accidents happen. Even a dull Xacto is sharp enough to take a big chunk out of your finger.

5. Work in manageable chunks. It's easy to get overwhelmed looking at the 3d model of an HD helmet but if you break it down into its parts and focus on one at a time (visor, cheek, chin, etc) it's a lot easier to wrap your mind around the project

6. Take your time and be a perfectionist. Pepping up a good model isn't a quick process and you need to realize/accept that. When you pep something up you're creating the framework for the rest of your project. If you do a sloppy job of it, you're going to waste a lot more time later trying to fix it than you would if you had just done it right in the first place. This isn't exactly a cheap hobby and if you intend on spending the money to get the resin/fiberglass/paint/respirator/gloves/cardstock/ect, you may as well get something nice out of it.

7. While you're working keep the pepakura program open and on screen at all times in the split view. Being able to select a piece on the pep file and see where it goes in the constructed model will save you time trying to match up numbers.

8. Make sure you scale your armor properly. There are tutorials here about it. Remember, the master chief is 7ft tall. Chances are you're not. Make sure your pep file is scaled to fit your body.

Kazyole says it all. I think you are the right track. Keep it up, take your time and don't get discouraged, we all started out as Noobs. And until I actually sell (I mean trade something) I will always consider myself a Noob! :)

So practice a lot and look for plenty encouragement and ideas from the people here on the forum. They are great! Oh and post lots of Pics, we love pics! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back