Ebay Problem (again) Suspicious Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the last problem I had on ebay was easily resolved, and I got my money back. But now I am trying to sell something(psp). I sold it once, but the person wanted it shipped to Nigeria(which is supposedly the scam capitol of the world) so I filed a report to ebay, and they said he was no longer registered and the sale was cancled(before any money was recieved/sent)

Now someone has bought it again, and paid for it before I could even send them an invoice. They paid using paypal, and once again, someone wanted me to ship it to Nigeria. Even though, after the last problem, I stated in all caps and in red that I only ship to US address's to avoid any problems. they paid and extra $100 for shipping, even before I sent them an invoice. They then sent a message telling of their instant payment, and I received an email from paypal telling me funds had been added to my account. I go to paypal because I want to refund the person, stating I only ship in the US, but there is no history of the transaction taking place. Ebay still says I am awaiting payment for one item. I sent a report to Ebay, but now am at a loss as to what else I could do while I wait for a response.

1)Why would it be that there is no history of a transaction?
2)I thought I had to send an invoice before they could pay, is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter!

nigeria = evil

just dont, lol

as for the questions, im no ebay kid, i wouldnt know, but ive had some problems myself, and if anything does go wrong, ebay get ur money back

if he's paid you, i don't see that you have a problem, at least you wont lose anything. or am i missing something?

It's a known scam.. they pretend to pay, and then fake an email from paypal. Your "My Ebay" page would tell you if it was paid through paypal because EBay OWNS paypal.. it's all connected. Report the scam, and place negative feedback.

i work at a company similar to paypal..

here is how the scam works...

I go onto paypal and register with a stolen Credit card.

I bid on something thats on ebay....

I win it.... then i fund my paypal account with the stolen cc, and send you stolen funds.

what will then happen is that you ship me the product...

the true owner of the cc comes along and issues a chargeback saying i never bought this, paypal takes money away from you, and then you are left with no money and no product..

:)... Hope this helps....

Dont do it :)

Thanks, I figured it was a scam as something simular has already happened, and ebay got back to me sooner than expected. The listing was canceled along with the sale, and yes I truly know now that Nigeria=evil :p

Yeah, don't do it. I for one, know it is easy to scam someone on E-bay (a class I took on selling stuff on E-bay explained it). I also almost got caught in one of these disputes when I was selling a cook book I created (class project). Remember, if it is from Nigeria ... ignore and report it.

Zenzeigan said:
nigeria = evil

just dont, lol

as for the questions, im no ebay kid, i wouldnt know, but ive had some problems myself, and if anything does go wrong, ebay get ur money back
Heh, not always.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I just received this email today from paypal as well:
Dear Valued Customer,

One of the benefits of using PayPal is that we make every effort to alert you to potentially problematic transactions. Our goal is to help you make sound business decisions.

A review of recent transactions indicates that you entered into bidding agreement with Debbie Symmonds (timsonic) by requesting money through PayPal, which shows that the PayPal account holder have authorized the payment you received.

We would like to learn more about this transaction. It is important we know the status of the item bought concerning the information we requested from you, otherwise, legal action may be taken against you since you have not replied to the confirmation of payment made to your account by Debbie Symmonds (timsonic) over time.

However the buyer has already contacted us in other to make report about your non response. We are ensuring to make PayPal a safer place, therefore we need to set confidence on our users. We use proprietary technology - and constantly innovation - to help ensure every transactions are safe.

We strongly advise that you to ship the item and send the Scanned Receipt and the Tracking Number to proof postage of the item in less than 24hours so that we can fund the money into your account or face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until the verification is complete.

But when I go to received funds in my paypal account, it still says no new funds, and when I search the Case ID that was given to me, there is nothing there! Please help

If paypal still has a phone number for instant support, I would call them. They helped me a long time ago before Ebay bought them up with some nonsense like this. It was really easily and helpful

anyone can send you a fake email, however, only paypal can update your paypal account when you actually type in www.paypal.com

check the email address and report it to paypal as spoof

Are you sure? Because the email address says service@paypal.com. Also they are requesting that I refund them through Western Union, I told them that I would refund through paypal but they say they have contacted paypal and that I will be getting a response.
Edit: ok I'm checkin now to see if it was a spoof email, forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com and waiting for a response. But can someone tell me something? If it says that there is no history of the transaction in my history tabs, was the payment fake?

Here is the latest email I have received, I also sent it to spoof@paypal.com

You Have a Payment Refund!

Dear b0xm0dder,

This is to Notify you about the Payment made to your PayPal account " Debbie Symmonds". The payment has been successfully made but due to too many complaints we are receiving from buyers on eBay we are unable to credit your account until we have receive the Shipment Tracking Number, we also want you to know that the money is no longer in the possession of the buyer, but due to the failure of the shipping of the item the buyer request that the refund should be send through Western Union Money Transfer. We agreed that you will have to send the sum of US $300.00

You are advise to do this within the next 12 - 24 hours and get back to us with the senders information given to you at the Western Union office, failure in refunding the money to the buyer will lead to indefinite suspension of your account as we do not want any of our customer to be cheated in any form, as we are to protect our customer in all transactions.

Here is the sending/receiver's information for the money transfer

All of this was sent without even communicating through the Resolution Center. One more reason I think this is probably fake it the gramatical and spelling errors, also, they want the refund to be sent to Nigeria!!!

EDIT: sorry for the double post, but one more thing. I was looking at old emails sent from paypal on other purchases, and on those there is a paypal email ID, the ones received during this transaction don't have that, and the latest one is even in a different font!

Dude this really sounds like a fake. I mean they keep saying we recommend you send the product NOW. And just they way the letter is saying it it sounds like someone is getting desperate. A friend of mine bought a car on ebay and then never got it. He was cheated out of $5000. If its really paypal then I think they would send you something through paypal and not your regular email. Try that. Ask if its really paypal then they need to send the exact same message through paypal.

those are fake emails...if your account has not been updated with more or less money thats a fake email plus ebay is saying that its still waitng for payment then all emails about refund or send the item are once again fake

All paypal payments will instantly show up on your account page, its an obvious scam.
I too in my early eBay using years got scammed out of $1000, the great thing about it is that they were stupid, i google'd there Email address and found there phone number and address, the cops picked them up a couple months later, apparently they had been running a few scams.

Dear Paypal Buyer,

I am a Gozillianare and would like to transfer funds to Nigeria. All I ask is that you pay the $2,000 transfer fee, and use your bank account to recieve the $1,000,000,000,000,000,000ect. All I require is your full name, date of birth, credit card number, blood type, next of kin, social security number, high school diploma, birth certificate, firstborn child, and your drivers license number.

:D :D :D :D

You better be careful about getting phished, which honestly, probably already has happened.

What happens in this process, is that you receive an email, fake, that is designed to look exactly like an official one. The headers and all the send info will be moddified to look like it came from somewhere it really didn't. I don't know what email client you use, but in gmail, you down view the header info and see the original source of it (sometimes), and the link included in the email should be a redirect...hover over it and see what the url is before click ing...it'll be to a "Paypal redirect"...meaning whatever you type in to access your paypal account, will be saved in the server of whatever the redirect is from.

Meaning...they now have your login information, credit card information, bank information, personal information, etc...and seeing as this payment never showed up in your recent history on the real paypal site, I would recommend closing your paypal account immediately, changing any and all passwords you have for ebay and the such...and calling your bank and credit card companies and tell them to look out for fraudulent activity.

This is one of the oldest, yet best ways to hack people...always, ALWAYS check the url for redirects whenever you get an email from paypal...the clones can be VERY convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back