Fiberglass Cloth Reinforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlawwolf117

Jr Member
I was talking to my dad about reinforcing my armor that i'm slowly making, and i wanted to know why you shouldn't put fiberglass cloth on the outside of the armor (according to skullcandygirl in the indy mogul video). What's wrong with putting cloth on the outside? i'm confused (sorry for the repitition)

i reinforced my armor by using fiberglass cloth and putting fiberglass mat on top of that now its as hard as a rock

Well, like the members said, applying fiberglass cloth (or mat) does take away the detail of the piece. Also, it is not that it is impossible to sand, but unless you really know what you are doing, sanding fiberglass is like running through hell barefoot, essentially really hard.

Really, all you need is fiberglass on the inside. The outside, you add bondo for increased detailing.

Confucious T said:
Well, like the members said, applying fiberglass cloth (or mat) does take away the detail of the piece. Also, it is not that it is impossible to sand, but unless you really know what you are doing, sanding fiberglass is like running through hell barefoot, essentially really hard.

Really, all you need is fiberglass on the inside. The outside, you add bondo for increased detailing.

how and when should i apply the fiberglass cloth? during the first coat of resin? after? how do other people apply it? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually do 2-3 coats of resin and then start fiberglassing the inside, you can get away with less coats with experience no sense in ruining a good thing while you're still learning :) As for how to apply fiberglass cloth, cut it into 1-2inch squares, mix your resin as normal, coat the piece of fiberglass with resin and stick it on the inside of the armor piece (flush against the paper)...repeat like 1000 more times until the whole piece is covered. Let the first application of fiberglass dry for a day or two.. then do another coat on the inside... usually 3-4 times of this should be enough. Just remember to mix your resin right (it comes with directions), wear your respirator (organic!) and some nitrile or latex gloves. Your resin only has x amounts of minutes after being mixed before hardening, so don't mix alot. Rinse wash and repeat for every armor piece.

Cheers,

Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back