First foam cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had success sanding down hot glue with a palm sander.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

i dont have a picture but Ive tried stone bits, metal filing bits and the drum sander attachment. Ive tried several different grits and it just melts the glue to sand paper drum or bit no mater what speed ive tried. I do use rhe dremel for shaping my edges and stuff, drum sander works great for that. Im still learning as well and have tried lately on my current pieces to use as littke hot glue on the outer seams as possible and put alot on the inner seams. Then go back and fill outer seems with caulking. Im still in the trial and error stage of foam building.So whats this woodglue sealing method your planning on using? I have not heard this option yet, Ive just used plastidip. sorry if that question was directed towards jme and not me?? i think hes just talking an orbital palm sander tool itself not an attachment for a dremel..... im sure hell chime in hear at sometime pretty soon.

I guess i'm gonna use the drum tool, thanks Sierra 117 ! (the question was first for jme but everyone could also answer :) )
Some of my cosplayer friends told me the wood glue create a smooth surface on the eva foam and that's easier to make a metallic effect. Here's the tutorial I watched (french):

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used the palm sander with 180 and 220 grit sand paper.

I did use my Dremel for sanding small areas (like the small indentations and recessed pieces). I mostly used the small grinding stone for this.

Oh! After I had Sealed the foam I found that I was having trouble getting my hand through the opening in my forearm. I used the sanding wheel to sand the inside of the wrist section to make it bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a warning on using a sander on hot glued areas that I learned from a kind of terrible experience.

Double check what temperature your glue is rated for because that might also change the situation but when I used high temperature hot glue and an orbital sander it got bogged down if it came into contact with glue. The glue would melt slightly from the friction and then accumulate on the sanding pad and because of the high speed of motion make a nice smooth surface of glue in areas of the pad making it pretty much useless. Remove as much surface glue as possible before sanding with either a hot knife or by using the tip of the glue gun you used to put glue there to warm glue up and pull away excess. Believe me, your tools will thank you in the long run.

Reactions: Jme
Thanks for your advice all !

Here are the shoulders ! :) 20161026_103607.jpg20161026_103629.jpg

Your build looks great so far!! I like the details you're making with the craft foam!
Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Thank you Klsmay ! Sharing my build helps me a lot with all the comments of the 405th community :)

I was wondering if it's normal if my armbands touch a bit the torso when I wear it or if it means I did something wrong with the shoulders... Is it the same for you all ?

Are you talking about your forearms or the bicep? I'm going to assume its the bicep since your referring to your shoulders. In the pics from the 26th, they look like how they should be. I can't recall if mine touch either but I know that my arm hole opening is pretty wide. Just about the same as yours. At what point are they touching?

I meant the bicep, it clearly touch the low-side of the torso when I'm arms-closed (I don't know if I am clear) but I still have mobility and I checked on the ref pictures and the in-game armor and the bicep touch the torso.

I just checked pics as well and it seems that almost all the pauldrons touch the torso armor somewhere.

Dam Cactus117!!! You are putting my suit to shame!!!! Great job so far. You are making me think of redoing certain parts of my own build!!! Fantastic foam working!!

Very nice job there Cantus117. I think a lot of the eva armor builds need to be done freehand. I used some pepakura files and printed out my parts, then built them out of paper to see how they fit. Then I enlarged or shrank them to fit me better and flattened them out to make cardboard patterns. There was a lot of alterations to get the pattern pieces right. I think it took me a little over a year to get my armor built. But I didn't work on it full time and certainly not every day. Heck I think I went a couple of weeks in between making parts.
I sure looks like your going to have one very nice build once you are done.
Awesomeness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back