Grunt Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I not only will want to make my and my husband our own spartan armor, but I'm also looking into making a Grunt suit. I KNOW that this is probably not the best place to ask, but then again i felt it'd be alot more helpful. I've heard from someone that directed me to this site that a member made an elite costume once and so I felt making some suggestions could help me get a list prepared. I have a basic idea of how I'd want to put the costume together, but any help with prop links or places i could buy pieces to make my own props for this would be really helpful.

I looked through the list of topics and didn't immediately find any topics on making armor for grunts or other such things, but there may already be one I didn't catch, so I'm sorry. if there is, a simple link would be helpful and I'll just get my information from there. but like I stated, any help would be awesome.

Just imagine a grunt walking into a convention full of spartans. hahaha

anyway, thanks for any help that may come my way.

edit:

i'm not looking for step by step instructions or anything btw, i just want some basic suggestions of what you all think would work best for the armor, mainly the methane tank on the grunts back (if i labeled it correctly)

I have the grunt files but I don't have a fileshare, unless you have some other option(?)

but I will help you with this QUEST OF GREATNESS!!!!!! good luck!

There's a very good grunt pepakura file on the wiki.
wink.gif
Maybe that might get you pointed in the right direction.

I've actually made a grunt costume (well I've made two) and what I used was cardboard and paper tape. My first was with cardboard and duct tape, but I found using hot glue with the cardboard and paper tape to seal the seams made it more streamlined and structurally sound. You can take a look at my costume in my gallery, if you need some ideas.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=12152&do=view_album&album=963

I actually found the armor the easiest part to make. I used a McFarlane action figure and in-game screenshots for reference. A good way to start, I found, is start with the shape that the widest part of the tank is, that is, where it connects with your back, and build up from there. That way you know it will fit you and it will look proportional.

Other than that, my costume had little to no planning and I made $#!T up as I went, so that's the best advice I can give until I think of something else. You'd have to ask someone else about fiberglass if you want something more resilient and life-lasting. I waterproofed my cardboard but who knows.

Also, I went with cardboard because it's cheap and lightweight, and knowing the size of the methane tank, something else might be a strain on your back after a while.

Thanks for asking, and welcome to the 405th!

I think walking into a convention filled with Spartans in a grunt suit would lead to some funny pics. However, there is one small problem. The Unggoy, 'Grunts' as we call them, only stand about four feet tall. So, unless you're really short, or you're ready to be the 'king of the Unggoy', your stature will make things difficult. There is also the problem of proportions, their upper-arms and upper legs are extremely small, in contrast to their huge hands and feet! Take a look.

BlackBandit4a63d7b2d9c2d.jpg

To be honest, I have no ideas on how to deal with these problems, but I thought I'd get them out there so you'd know about them. I'm still wrestling with my first suit of Spartan armor. Sorry.

Black Bandit XX said:
I think walking into a convention filled with Spartans in a grunt suit would lead to some funny pics. However, there is one small problem. The Unggoy, 'Grunts' as we call them, only stand about four feet tall. So, unless you're really short, or you're ready to be the 'king of the Unggoy', your stature will make things difficult. There is also the problem of proportions, their upper-arms and upper legs are extremely small, in contrast to their huge hands and feet! Take a look.

BlackBandit4a63d7b2d9c2d.jpg

To be honest, I have no ideas on how to deal with these problems, but I thought I'd get them out there so you'd know about them. I'm still wrestling with my first suit of Spartan armor. Sorry.

Yeah, until they mass-release invisible cloth to the public I think we'll always have proportional issues like these.

One way of making the arms longer, I thought of something--Do you at all remember those mechanical toy arms they had at toy stores, where you slip your fingers into these plastic loops and pull down, and you'd have a fully-jointed hand? It does make your arms/hands longer, allowing you still to move the fingers, and it'd look somewhat proportional that way. Let's see if I can't find a picture...\

WEll, kinda like this, although this isn't the one I was thinking of...I shall still search! http://cgi.ebay.com/Plastic-robot-h...0?hash=item3ca302a9fa&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 Except the one I'm thinking of you could individually move the fingers.

Argh! I know it exists, although since I'm having so much trouble that probably means you can't find them anymore. My brother has one. They have like an arm guard part that would be the perfect shape for a grunt arm...Well I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to rig up, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm 5ft tall ^___^ not nearly as short, but i definitely could never do anything else proper, unless i'm a hella short spartan XD which won't stop me from making my own spartan armor in the future either, lol. but i have some ideas to make this work. but being as short as i am helps. haha

RFPnoodle said:
I've actually made a grunt costume (well I've made two) and what I used was cardboard and paper tape. My first was with cardboard and duct tape, but I found using hot glue with the cardboard and paper tape to seal the seams made it more streamlined and structurally sound. You can take a look at my costume in my gallery, if you need some ideas.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=12152&do=view_album&album=963

I actually found the armor the easiest part to make. I used a McFarlane action figure and in-game screenshots for reference. A good way to start, I found, is start with the shape that the widest part of the tank is, that is, where it connects with your back, and build up from there. That way you know it will fit you and it will look proportional.

Other than that, my costume had little to no planning and I made $#!T up as I went, so that's the best advice I can give until I think of something else. You'd have to ask someone else about fiberglass if you want something more resilient and life-lasting. I waterproofed my cardboard but who knows.

Also, I went with cardboard because it's cheap and lightweight, and knowing the size of the methane tank, something else might be a strain on your back after a while.

Project003 said:
I have the grunt files but I don't have a fileshare, unless you have some other option(?)

but I will help you with this QUEST OF GREATNESS!!!!!! good luck!

i really do appreciate any help! if you want i may be able to accept the images through my email if you've comfortable with that instead:

snow_flake88@yahoo.com

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
There's a very good grunt pepakura file on the wiki.
wink.gif
Maybe that might get you pointed in the right direction.

thanks for the help! very much appreciated!

RFPnoodle said:

this is the most helpful! thanks so much! i think starting simple is a good way to get a foundation in costume making, maybe one day i'll try sturdier longer lasting material, but if i'm careful I may be able to pull off the cardboard. then one day if i ever get my hands on that one machine that costs thousands of dollars just to cut out armor pieces (only for a little bit, not buying, lol) then i may be able to get a really finely detailed tank for the grunt an the armor for my spartan.

again thanks! gets me thinking a little more out side the box. no pun intended ^^

Yuki-Kedamono said:
i'm 5ft tall ^___^ not nearly as short, but i definitely could never do anything else proper, unless i'm a hella short spartan XD which won't stop me from making my own spartan armor in the future either, lol. but i have some ideas to make this work. but being as short as i am helps. haha

Yeah, I'm 5'4" which worked for me. I've seen places say that grunts are anywhere from 4 feet to 5 feet in height. Halopedia says both, so I don't know.

moonwildflower said:
So glad you made it on the site. Let me know if you ever want to get together and work on this or anything else. I'm game.

yay you found me! lol

glad to be a part of this site! i wouldn't have found it without you! everyone's being alot of help too, i have 2 people messaging me back an forth giving me tips and links i could use. i can't wait to get started on my spartan armor... ACTUALLY i can't wait for it to be finished so i can wear it XD

i just REALLY don't want to mess up on the grunt one the most... it seems like a bigger an harder project for me because there's alot of other things that factor into it besides just armor.

i'm excited though, i hope i can do this right.

RFPnoodle said:
Yeah, I'm 5'4" which worked for me. I've seen places say that grunts are anywhere from 4 feet to 5 feet in height. Halopedia says both, so I don't know.

i guess it really depends. i mean they are a short race but in reality even other races of animals vary in size an shapes occasionally, so i would guess the same laws apply to grunts an brutes an hunters an what-not. haha which works for us in the end ^^

Yuki-Kedamono said:
...in reality even other races of animals vary in size an shapes occasionally, so i would guess the same laws apply to grunts an brutes an hunters an what-not...

LOL. I'd love to see a four foot tall Hunter, I'd make him my pet and call him "Wee-Man"!

Yes, the rules of natural proportion can be quite helpful if you're claiming to be a large Grunt... or trying to get a Hunter for a pet. :lol

I like the idea of a Grunt suit, I was thinking (which is fairly dangerous) and i thought... Maybe, instead of making a suit, make a scale model. and then use it as say, a table! thats what i might do, but other than that i got nothing to add to the discussion, except for good luck with your endeavor.

Cheers, Dave.

:} My younger brother wants to be a Grunt since I've notice the pep file on wiki, and he's over 6 foot tall, and I'm only 5'6" super grunt FTW.

you guys are funny an retarded all in one sitting (not the bad kinda retarded though XD)

not only would it be ridiculously hard for me to attempt a hunter costume, but i'd be like... "aww lookit that little ankle biter, ain't 'e a doll!" or something XD

hunters are suppose do be intimidating... i'd only be the one costumer everyone would wanna hug an fawn over XD lol

it is a cute idea though, but i don't think i'll ever make a hunter cosplay.

maybe different types of spartan armor, an definitely a grunt one day.

my halo 3 character is a white armored arbiter, so maybe one day i'll get around to something like that. an with those guy i can use platform because of the feet type ^__^ so it may work out it in the end. but that'd be like. waaaaaaaaaay down the road XD

Rusteh said:
:} My younger brother wants to be a Grunt since I've notice the pep file on wiki, and he's over 6 foot tall, and I'm only 5'6" super grunt FTW.

man crazy super grunt! O_O lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back