Guinness book of excuses

N8TEBB

Member DIN
S410
Hey gang! Seems like life always ends up slowing down our progress on our suit builds doesn't it? If you find yourself busy as can be but still want to throw an update on the forums every once in a while, this thread is for you! Post the reason you aren't working on your cosplay right now! I'll tart:

This old deck needed to be replaced when my parents moved in to this house 20 years ago, but they've just been patching it here and there for years. Well, it's that time again, except I'm the one who has to get the show on the road.
IMG_9876.JPG

Yep, it's pretty bad. That joist is rotten all the way through. Last weekend we got the wood, replaced 2 joists, one post, and build the stairs. Still have to to the railing and paint the thing. This thing has just been eating up all my free time and energy these past 4 days. Hopefully it wraps up by the end of the weekend and I can get back to the suit. I'll post a picture when it's done of course. I know it will look much nicer than it did once it's done!

That deck is not looking as bad as it sounds! Doesn't look like 20 years of patching at least.
I just finished my first suit last month and it needs maintenance after its first con but after 6 months of near non-stop work I needed a break so this month will be my break month x) Besides that, this month is "artfight" an online art trade event which is taking up most of my free time because I am getting absolutely pelted with "attacks" (drawings) and I need to defend myself (more drawings)

Deck is done! A little progress post:
IMG_9866.JPG

Before - Worried we'd fall through stepping on these steps

IMG_9876.JPG

Rail and steps removed - you can see the joist is rotten all the way through, and the left post is rotten too

IMG_9881.JPG

Minivans are just as good as trucks

IMG_9883.JPG

End of day 1 - 2 joists completely replaced and post completely replaced

IMG_9887.JPG

End of day 2 - Stairs cut but not assembled, replacing miscellaneous boards on the deck

IMG_9896.JPG

Day 3, 4, 5 (slower progress because it's not the weekend anymore) Painting mostly done, railing started

IMG_9902.JPG

Day 6 - done! Few things to add still, one board, lights, etc. but it's basically done :)

Wasn't just me, I had lots of helpers. Took lots of work but now it will be safe to walk on for a while. Now I can get back to crafting!

Day 6 - done! Few things to add still, one board, lights, etc. but it's basically done :)

Wasn't just me, I had lots of helpers. Took lots of work but now it will be safe to walk on for a while. Now I can get back to crafting!
The deck looks great! Started out with scraps and ended up with a beaut and a happy doggo. Good luck with your next costume!

My reason for slow progress is twofold: I have an 8-5 internship from Mondays-Fridays that eats up all of my time. Factor in summer school (I'm doing the internship for college credit and this is how they make it count), and I'm booked 24/7.

Deck is done! A little progress post:
View attachment 333588
Before - Worried we'd fall through stepping on these steps

View attachment 333589
Rail and steps removed - you can see the joist is rotten all the way through, and the left post is rotten too

View attachment 333590
Minivans are just as good as trucks

View attachment 333591
End of day 1 - 2 joists completely replaced and post completely replaced

View attachment 333592
End of day 2 - Stairs cut but not assembled, replacing miscellaneous boards on the deck

View attachment 333593
Day 3, 4, 5 (slower progress because it's not the weekend anymore) Painting mostly done, railing started

View attachment 333594

Dude you're making me want to build a deck and I don't even know how to build a deck nor do I have the money for one! Such a pretty deck well done!

Dude you're making me want to build a deck and I don't even know how to build a deck nor do I have the money for one! Such a pretty deck well done!
believe you me... you do not want to build a deck. They are a deceiving amount of work lol

I'm not building a deck or anything else exciting. I want to do under suits for my Reach suit and my MKVII, and I have a lot of source material for Buzz Lightyear that I really want to build.

My excuse is this: I'm old and broke. I just had my second child, I have a wife, changed my job, got tangled up in complicated things within that job, and started school again, (because as an idiot I didn't finish the first time around).

For those who don't know, wives and children and college are expensive.

Anyway, does anyone have tips to re motivate oneself to get back into building? Beyond my Buzz cosplay I have 9 years of B-17G cockpit research I'm trying to turn into a full immersion fight simulator, but I'm stalled after I built the yokes and throttle pedestal...

For those who don't know, wives and children and college are expensive.
WOW YOU DONT SAY

Now I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I can tell you that as a student myself, I won't work on any projects unless I plan out when I have dedicated time to my project. I'll make sure I have a block of time that I can just focus on my own stuff, and not worry about school for a bit.

WOW YOU DONT SAY

Now I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I can tell you that as a student myself, I won't work on any projects unless I plan out when I have dedicated time to my project. I'll make sure I have a block of time that I can just focus on my own stuff, and not worry about school for a bit.
Yeah, if you want to be smart about things.

im not working on my cosplay because i have to cut grass on 17 ackers and im still trying to upgrade my shop i did get the heat pump and a/c in today.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back