Halogoddess's Hayabusa Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could always try the flu diet, I can usually drop 5-10 pounds that way. you would be surprised how much better stuff fits when you waste away.... totally joking by the way, dont get sick on purpose. hope a solution presents itself, we all want to see you in your 'busa

i got one solution you'll really like if you want to fit into those again...

diet and workout. lol

if that doesn't work. well you could try to splice it up and add a little cm to it. bondo will do the trick like its not cut in half. just like what i did to my helm.

HaloGoddess said:
Well, I got the thighs rondo'd tonight.

I decided against wearing them for the picture since I would rather save myself from the embarrasment. They fit SO much better when they were still in the paper form and I could get them in the right place. Now they just barely go above my knee. :( And due to the fact that I do have "meatier" thighs, it's hard to get them up.

b8k1aq.jpg

Well, it IS my first armor, but I wanted it to look and fit WAY better than this!!!! :( Now I feel like I have failed as an artist.

YAY! /sarcasm

b8k1aq.jpg

Cut on the red lines to remove the inner thigh. Them make that piece from overlapping foam sheets. This will allow the inner thigh to flex a bit while also concealing your new strap. That's right if you remove that part you can make a fancy thigh strap to hold the thighs on :) . It will also make the thighs much more comfortable for extended hours of wearing. Also as an added note frowns look better if you stand on your head

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah for the inner thighs that I modeled and made, all I did was go to a hobby store like Micheals or Jo-anns and picked up a roll of craft foam to make the inner thigh details. You can just hot glue them together and to attach them to the thighs. It worked out really well for me at a con and it was comfy. So I suggest you try that.

HaloGoddess said:
Also, I have a MAJOR question............I am under the impression that I NEED to put body filler on EVERYTHING. Now, from what you can see in the pictures, do I HAVE to add bondo to that stuff or can I go ahead and paint it my final color and be done with it??? :eek Of course I would still need to do a few touch ups before I'm done with the pieces, but are they good to go? Do you think they are about ready for their final coat of paint or do I NEED to put bondo on all of it?

well its completely up to you, yes they would look great if you painted them now, but if you wanted to make them look even better then bondo is they key! but if your worried about deadlines, or dont have a lot of experience with bondo then painting them now would be fine. remember, you can always go back to add more detail to them at your own pace when your whole suit is finished =]

HaloGoddess said:
Well, I got the thighs rondo'd tonight.

I decided against wearing them for the picture since I would rather save myself from the embarrasment. They fit SO much better when they were still in the paper form and I could get them in the right place. Now they just barely go above my knee. :( And due to the fact that I do have "meatier" thighs, it's hard to get them up.

hmmm... I had the same problem. are they complely too small? or is just the opening too small? If only the opening is small then you could cut them in half and secure them together once they are on your leg.

HaloGoddess said:
Well, I am starting to get bummed about my armor now. Time is running short, I STILL don't have a helmet yet and now my stuff doesn't fit. :(

well,... don't feel too bad. I feel the same way sometimes. I have been working on my armor for over a year now and only half of it is completed. sometimes I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere since I began and haven't made any progress at all. I just keep plugging along though and I don't give up. I know that your worried about deadlines, here's my advise: deadlines are just deadlines (believe me, Ive missed many :p), if you don't complete it on time then there's always next year right?... cheer up =] making armor is a tough business. :D Its filled with ups and downs. keep chugging along towards that final goal and whatever you do, Don't Give Up!!!!! :p

HaloGoddess said:
Now they just barely go above my knee. :( And due to the fact that I do have "meatier" thighs, it's hard to get them up.

You'll have to cut out a rounded notch on the back of the knee anyway so that you can bend the knee comfortably. This should also have the added benefit of increasing the size of the bottom opening.

I didn't do this the first time I tried on my thigh armor, but since I finished them the morning prior to going to work wearing my armor for Halloween, I didn't have a chance to fix it. It was incredibly painful, and I had to walk around like Frankenstein all day, because I couldn't flex my knees very much.

Don't feel too down by setbacks like these. It's not too hard to make adjustments to your armor for a better fit. I'd also take the Ben's and others' advice to cut out the inner thigh portions and replacing it with craft foam. It'd be more comfortable anyway. Whether joking or not, I'd ignore the guys telling you to diet and work out. You're beautiful as you are. Don't ever forget that!

Bogus...

This is definitely an argument toward measuring how you need it to shift while it's still made of paper, then making struts for it. I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: Embarrassing typos.

WOOHOO!!!!

Look at what I got in the mail today!

125nuh2.jpg

Ben Streeper was very gracious and sent these to me. Although, I was only expecting the inner pieces for my thighs,but I am guessing that the other piece is the ab plate?? :eek That is what it looks like to me. XD

So now I have some VERY comfy pieces to attach to my thighs and hopefully I should be able to get these on MUCH better now. Only time will tell when I go to put this together. :p

THANK YOU BEN STREEPER!!! :D If I could, I would give him a big 'ol hug. lol

Also, here is a test fitting of the thigh piece. Please keep in mind that I only did this to compare it to what I was wearing when I wore the thigh piece while it was still in it's paper stages.

s2ftky.jpg

I have a nice pair of spandex that I plan on wearing for my under armor so the fabric, (although still pretty thin), may cause the thigh piece to sit lower.

For some reason, I feel that the thigh needs to go higher up. I feel that it is sitting too far down. I've been looking at reference images in my Halo Encyclopedia and it almost seems like my thigh pieces do need to be raised up a bit. What do you think?? Also bear in mind that I am going for more of a feminine build. :p

I was just looking at the gap between the belt and the top part of the thigh and that is where I am looking to see if I need to raise/lower where the thigh piece sits.

I agree with you Goddess, i think the thigh should go up a little higher. With those rubber inner thigh pieces I think (hope) that you can indeed raise them up :) From everything I've seen so far, your suit is looking great. I know its hard not to get discouraged when things don't fit right and aren't turning out how you hoped but the great thing about these suits is they can be very adjustable if need be. Little cuts here, little bondo there and it fits again! Keep it up and stay motivated. Thats what we're (and people like Ben Streeper) here for.

- Ian

dubean33 said:
I agree with you Goddess, i think the thigh should go up a little higher. With those rubber inner thigh pieces I think (hope) that you can indeed raise them up :) From everything I've seen so far, your suit is looking great. I know its hard not to get discouraged when things don't fit right and aren't turning out how you hoped but the great thing about these suits is they can be very adjustable if need be. Little cuts here, little bondo there and it fits again! Keep it up and stay motivated. Thats what we're (and people like Ben Streeper) here for.

- Ian

At bold: Yes, ohhhh so much, but just keep working on it and you'll get through it ;)

And THEN! something else will mess up . But yeah keep going and this will happen [attachment=15881:CA436A8E.GIF]

Artek said:
HaloGoddess-

are you going to cut the shins for entry and exit? where at if so??

Well I DID try to cut out an area on the one shin that I already hardened:

This is the back, bottom part of the shin:

2hyl9au.jpg

I was hoping to cut out ONLY this piece:

21blz7d.jpg

But then it turned out that I had to cut the piece above it as well and was hoping I wouldn't have to. Then this happened:

nl8wwh.jpg

:(

Even with all that cut out, it's STILL hard to get the shin on and I think it's because of the brim piece that is on the very bottom of the front area on the shin. I think I might need to cut that part a little more. I don't know if I should re-pep that shin or not since I am not too happy about that little piece breaking and I am not sure if I can really fix that. :\

HaloGoddess said:
Well I DID try to cut out an area on the one shin that I already hardened:

This is the back, bottom part of the shin:

2hyl9au.jpg

I was hoping to cut out ONLY this piece:

21blz7d.jpg

But then it turned out that I had to cut the piece above it as well and was hoping I wouldn't have to. Then this happened:

nl8wwh.jpg

:(

Even with all that cut out, it's STILL hard to get the shin on and I think it's because of the brim piece that is on the very bottom of the front area on the shin. I think I might need to cut that part a little more. I don't know if I should re-pep that shin or not since I am not too happy about that little piece breaking and I am not sure if I can really fix that. :\

Grab a piece of painters tape, and tape it from the outside. then rondo, fiberglass, or bondo the inside. The piece will sit back into place, and with a little spotting putty, and sanding it will look like it never even broke. As for how to make the leg pieces, cut straight up the seams. then put in your padding, then attach the two parts with a piece of spandex. Make sure its tight enough to bring the two pieces back together, but loose enough to gap when you slide your leg in. This will create a nice tight leg piece that you can slide in and out of.

Well, since you've had the break happen, it might just be the right time to build a new pair and scale them up just a hair.

I do think they need to ride a little higher like you said earlier. And the craft foam inner thigh area will really help you custom fit these.

But very good work so far. Don't let a little breakage set you back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back