Hardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventchildmatrix

ok a couple of days ago i found a post on harding the armour with some kind of tape but due to problems i had to reinstall my internet so i have lost the book mark and my search of the site has produced no results can some one please put a link to the topic/post how to do it

I've posted up a few explanations on how to use drywall tape (nylon mesh) as a matrix for tough fiberglass. I oughta post up a tutorial on it. I'll do it the next time I make a helmet as I have to remake my MKVI helm anyway. The Ultra Thin drywall tape works excellently if you get at least 1 layer down and then add 1-2 more layers on the areas that you need extra reinforcement. I have normal drywall tape that I haven't used yet as it's a way coarser mesh but I think it'll definitely work with a minimum of 2 layers. If you do use this method then make sure you're using a bristle brush and not a foam sponge brush as you want the resin to fill up the mesh instead of just glossing right over it.

Basically it's just a way to thicken up the fiberglass enough that you have a resin shell on the inside of your armor.

PM me if you have any questions.

BFDesigns said:
I've posted up a few explanations on how to use drywall tape (nylon mesh) as a matrix for tough fiberglass. I oughta post up a tutorial on it. I'll do it the next time I make a helmet as I have to remake my MKVI helm anyway. The Ultra Thin drywall tape works excellently if you get at least 1 layer down and then add 1-2 more layers on the areas that you need extra reinforcement. I have normal drywall tape that I haven't used yet as it's a way coarser mesh but I think it'll definitely work with a minimum of 2 layers. If you do use this method then make sure you're using a bristle brush and not a foam sponge brush as you want the resin to fill up the mesh instead of just glossing right over it.

Basically it's just a way to thicken up the fiberglass enough that you have a resin shell on the inside of your armor.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thx again BFdesigns thats the one i was looking for thank you soo much

Last edited by a moderator:
adventSpartanMatrix said:
ok do you think this will work for the fiberglassing of armour?
http://hobbyshack.com/Hobbico-Fiberglass-C.../B000X4OJ9G.htm

Yes it will most definitely. I would recommend using fiberglass mat on the insides of all of you armor first and then go to the fiberglass cloth in the areas that need major reinforcement.

Speaking of major reinforcement, does anyone know where I can get carbon fiber cloth?

Reventorghini said:
That's only one square yard though, an eighth of what the normal packages give you. So since you would need 8 of those times $5 each that would be $40 when you could just buy 3M's stuff at 8 square yards at $25 (if memory serves... I'm barely into resining so I haven't researched it too extensively).

Hope this helps.

probelem is im in England so getting that probs inpracticle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back