Has Anyone Ever Created A Stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inphantzz

I was wondering, Has anyone created a stand in pepakura to support the models up while you're resin/fibreglassing? If so, could you please lead me to the link :)

Cheers'-Quinn

Making a stand in pep would be useless, but most people use mannequins, PVC, or any sort of object that can keep it in the air. Just make sure it's something that you won't care about after it's been covered in resin, dust, and paint.

Well, I don't know about that, but I did have a few ideas for standing them up when they're done.

I guess technology has come only so far to the 405th Members...

Yeah, but i'm still thinking, the stand should be fibreglassed and as you're working on your pieces the resi drips down onto the stand supporting it even more each time.

I looked at the mannequin and that is a lot fo paper. And I wish I had that shape. I have a few more curves, particularly at the mid section level on the front (belly).

If you want something that will work for a mannequin and that isn't too expensive for the quality you get, I recommend a duct tape dummy. You need help to create one as you CANNOT do it by yourself. You can google it as there are a lot of links on making you own. For those who don't even want to google it, here are two links that I like.

http://www.mixedcandy.com/dtd.html (I'm not a fan of furries but the tutorial is good.)

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/DuctDummy.htm (Definitely a fan as there are good articles on creating Lord of the Ring costumes.)

And once the dummy is done, you have something to leave the armor on. Unless you really mess it bad.

If you're looking for something to rest your pieces as you work, you could look into airbrush stands or carving stands. A carving stand is fairly easy to do on your own with piping (PVC or otherwise).

For the sculpting vise, you can look here. The Web site is in French but you can get a good idea of the build by looking at the image.

And the airbrush stand is usually just a 2x4 with an angled piece on top to hold helmets while they are being painted. Looking on the internet for helmet stand, I found one guy who uses yellow traffic cones as a stand.

Let's not forget our own members who use inverted tomato cages as holders while painting. I think it's a great idea.

I didnt know that the name Quinn was avaliable or i would have snaged it

on topic

All I use is a piece of wood of PVC thats laying around and screw it to something to hold t up and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back