Hell Jumper Foam Armor (Spartan Buck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivalablake89

First off want to give a big thanks too vidofnir234 and Pretzel for creating and working on the HellJumper file located in the file achieve section. I will be making this project in 1/2 inch thick foam sheets I purchased from Harbor Freight Tools, 6mm and 2mm thick foam sheets I purchased from Michael's Craft store, and using weldwood contact cement purchased from Home depot. As I move along with this project I will list further materials and items and where I purchased from. Also this is the reference photo I will be using for this project.
kyle-hefley-buck-page-04.jpg

So I'm going to start with the Torso for my initial test piece, I know I should probably be doing something smaller like the shin or forearm But I really want to start getting the details down on the chest, Because there is a lot of details and this should be interesting. Anyways not so much an issue but I did some cutting of certain pieces in the file, personally I like a lot of pieces so it gives me more availability to adjust the angles and curvature in some areas. I actually had a lot of fun navigating thru Pep Designer thru this process very therapeutic, non the less I think I got a hang for it by using some in game reference photos to acquire the templates I wanted. Also had to draw my extra details that I will be layering on top.
photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG

Now that I completed my first step for my test piece I continued on to the tracing cutting and assembling process. I only managed to have time to complete the front of the torso so hopefully I will have some more downtime later this week to get some more done.

photo 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto.JPG

I'm not 100% certain I will be using this because it seems a tad bit small, but that's no biggie because I will just pass it off to my very petite wife and she could use it haha. Either way I was very pleased with my results and will continue this route with the project luckily for me I also resized my templates to be bigger incase this sort of thing happened and will just re print after I've finished this torso. Hoping to more updates on this soon, hope you guys enjoy!

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3 (1).JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo.JPG

kyle-hefley-buck-page-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done. Looks good so far, even if its a "Test" piece or a hand-me-down to the wife.

Buck is one of my favorite characters in the series, since 4 showed the spartan IV's I thought he would have became one. Your doing pretty good so far. I however am speaking with no experience in armor making. but I am impressed

Quick Update I worked a little bit more on the front chest plate last night giving it some more added details, layered some more 2mm foam on the clavicle section which almost look like buckles or buttons of some sort. Also got around to completing the sides and back piece that will be touching the under suit, at first I wasn't going to go thru with that but I actually rather enjoy the feel of the flat side over the textured and also the dimensional value compared to just a flat piece gives it a little more strength.
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Have to add more detail (layered foam) where that bit of textured foam is sticking out of the bottom but was planning on that anyways. Hoping to get some more done tonight as I have already drawn out my details and layering templates onto the shoulder and back pieces. Most likely will have at least the shell done by the end of the weekend.

Quick question maybe someone might know...
Does anyone have any idea what piece this is? Any help Identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
H5G_Render_Buck-Close.png

It looks like a piece that would go on some sort of molle rig or perhaps mountain climbing gear, which is my best guess haha.

It's for towing your body from the wreckage when you find yourself planet side on the wrong end of you ship. Lol.

There could be a specific item, but your guess is as good as mine. As far as how you could recreate it... It looks pretty similar to some keychain flashlights or keychain laser pens I've seen.

Yea, that looks like a quick sling connect. Or something like a butt hook connect. I used something similar on my IBA with my 240. I had a D link that had the shoulder support from my 240 connected to it for the "Long Walks" lol. It helps, a lot.

DUDE!!!! it just hit me like a bag of bricks HAHAHA I knew I've seen that somewhere before thought I was going crazy, but yes that is exactly what I'm looking for, a perfect match. Thanks TMS you've done this Spartan a great service!

Reactions: Tms
Yea, that looks like a quick sling connect. Or something like a butt hook connect. I used something similar on my IBA with my 240. I had a D link that had the shoulder support from my 240 connected to it for the "Long Walks" lol. It helps, a lot.

Dude I was thinking the same thing at first like something that should belong on a IBA or Chest rig. I do miss those long walks with my 249 though ;) nothing compared to the 240's weight but still miss those walks lol.

Dude I was thinking the same thing at first like something that should belong on a IBA or Chest rig. I do miss those long walks with my 249 though ;) nothing compared to the 240's weight but still miss those walks lol.

Oh yea, nothing says motivation like a guy with a fully automatic weapon walking behind you with a pissed off look on his face. LOL

So between a 8 hour drive to a "Brand New" concert and trying out paintball fro the first time, I finally managed to find time to work on the torso this weekend. Didn't get as much as I would've liked but there is always tomorrow, anyways was able to get some more details on the front of the torso and added some dremel work to the neck.
photo 1 (1).JPG

Also got the shoulders sections leading to the back, I've drawn out the templates for those back thruster looking things and they are going to require a lot of down time but I can't wait to get a nice solid piece to work on and start layering details on. For now I'm just glad I was able to fit it to a mannequin, and from what I can tell It will be able to fit me just need to start working out more and keep off the winter pounds.
photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 1.JPG
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

I know the shoulders look a little off right now, but that's because they are being held in place by painters tape, this was strictly just a test fit, and will be assembled with additional pieces so it will look accordingly with the reference photos.

Looking good :D
Is the craft foam to skip painting? Or just to make it look better for now? :p

Lol I did realize they are close in color to the Craft foam, But I will definitely still be painting it. I'm not sure which color scheme to go with, because in different lighting he appears as tan chrome and in others he appears as a light silver almost light blue silver color.

Great work so far vivalablake89, details look fantastic. That is a lot of craft foam.........how did you attach to the main body?

I know it seems like a waste but a lot of contact cement lol... That craft foam is going nowhere! I started using 3m spray adhesive but it was too messy for me so I switched to the contact cement which seems to keep it on there just fine and I don't have to worry about adhesive getting all over my work area ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back