Hot Glue Method - Suitable Paints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afr0Blu3

Jr Member
I'm nearly ready to paint most of my armour, and I just wanted to ask you what kind of paint is suitable.

Hot gluing the inside and using Mod Podge on the outside. I'm positive Pooper said he also used Mod Podge on the outside of his armour, and I was wondering if car spray paint is OK to use on it, or if it would warp or otherwise damage the work?

Me and my friend, who is also making a suit, were considering using Warhammer paints from Games Workshop, but that would be a lot more expensive than using car spray paint.

Any tips you have would be a great help. Thanks for your time.

i am hopeing that it is pretty strong

spray paint shouldn't

warp unless u hold the nossle as close as possiple lol just go with normal spray paint

make sure you get a good coat and let it set

Use primer first for a start. Well, You don't have to but it will save you doing like 10 coats.

When you spray spray from about 30cm away from the piece, maybe further. So you're just spraying a mist of paint on your piece. That was it will be light and shouldn't warp your work at all.

-Stig

PS: If you're finished and only need to paint, But are worried about warpage, May I ask how sturdy and strong your armor is? Because if you're worried about it warping from paint i think it'll go through ALOT more when wearing it.

I'm more concerned with the paint interfering with the Mod Podge and hot glue than the sturdiness of the armour. I'd be devastated if the whole thing fell apart because the spray paint loosened the hot glue or something (if that makes sense).

Afr0Blu3 said:
I'm more concerned with the paint interfering with the Mod Podge and hot glue than the sturdiness of the armour. I'd be devastated if the whole thing fell apart because the spray paint loosened the hot glue or something (if that makes sense).

The got glue should be on the underside of the paper, The inside.

The "Mod Podge" (I'm guessing is like bondo?) Should be on the Outside, Sanded, And then painted. My guess is that it wont affect it.

However Theres only one real way to find out, Make a test piece, like a paper cube, Test it on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mod Podge is anything like bondo (I'm not familiar with your choice of materials, so I can't be certain), then as The Stig said using automotive spray paint shouldn't do any damage or warpage to the armour.

Others have used these paints over bondo, and it's never posed a problem.

When priming and painting everything, again like The Stig pointed out, spray it from a distance (about a foot or so away). If you paint it up close, then you'll have problems with the paint running and poss ibly "pooling" in some areas.

To help avoid that from happening, apply the primer and paint(s) in light coats. Don't try to cover the entire piece you're painting in one shot. Instead, apply only enough so that each subsequent pass with the paint gives it a base to adhere to. You should still be able to see some of the original surface (Mod Podge) after the first pass, but that will gradually be hidden with each additional pass.

And don't jump right to applying the final paint(s) after priming. Part of the purpose of primer is to give the paint something to stick to, but it also helps you to see if there are any flaws or imperfections that need to be fixed.

Just prime it to start, check for any problem areas to be fixed, then prime again and paint it.

One bit of advice on the painting. If you're planning on doing a base colour for the armour and then differently-coloured accents, like say on the shoulders or thighs (as seen on some of the multiplayer in-games models), to mask off the accent areas use low-tack painter's tape (the blue or green stuff).

That way, when you remove it after painting you won't have the tape peeling off some of the paint along with it. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about (damn masking tape) :plol.

In my personal opinion, automotive paints are your best bet, as they're designed to be extremely durable and wear-resistant. That's what you want, especially on a costume that you'll be wearing again and again. Besides, it's a known fact that most of the major prop companies in the industry often use the same kind of paints for the TV/film props they make, so if it works for them it'll work for you ;)

What I used on my hot glue/modge podge armor is Rust-o-leum spray paints and primer. The spray paint shouldn’t affect the modge podge at all... I would strongly advise that you sand the modge podge first (that is if you have at least 5 coats) with fine grit sandpaper. If not, the paint may chip of around the edges of the armor. Sanding it will also make it smooth and eliminate any brush strokes that you may have on the armor when you applied the modge podge.

Also, you can apply Adam’s painting method to over the modge podge! Also keep in mind that the hot glue method with modge podge will flex a little, so this will help you move around in your armor a little better. I was able to sit down and drive my car with the whole suit on, minus the COD piece (but you can sit down with it on). The paint will not chip if it’s flexed some.

I really hope that this helps you out. If you have any other questions, I’m sure I can answer them.

Good luck Bud! :)

Thanks, I've Googled Rust-O-Leum and they do supply to the UK, which is fantastic news. Just looking at how much I'm going to need and which colours and primers would be best. Thanks for the help Pooper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back