How Do I Make My Costume Easy To Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilias

As I am about to start fiberglassing my chest piece, I've been wondering how other people have it so they can put their armor on. Since the torso I made is so well suited to my size, I was considering cutting the torso into front and back sections, with the two pieces attatched with strong velcro. How should I go about this? Should I cut first, then fiberglass, or should I do things the other way around? Note that I have already coated it in a thin layer of resin. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I would also love to see how some of you put on your armor, and in what ways the pieces attach.

Thank you!

try cutting the armor in half down the sides and making a hing with latches to hold it shut like what the Romans used with their Lora Segmentata

A lot of people use hinges for their pieces. I'm personally cutting my armor into pieces and using nylon webbing to "tighten" it to my body.

Velcro seem like a good idea, but you'd probably want an extremely strong piece to hold your chest together due to the amount of movement that you will be doing. (unless of course you are just going to sit around and play Halo in it ;) )

Hope that helps

Cheers!

Xilias said:
As I am about to start fiberglassing my chest piece, I've been wondering how other people have it so they can put their armor on. Since the torso I made is so well suited to my size, I was considering cutting the torso into front and back sections, with the two pieces attatched with strong velcro. How should I go about this? Should I cut first, then fiberglass, or should I do things the other way around? Note that I have already coated it in a thin layer of resin. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I would also love to see how some of you put on your armor, and in what ways the pieces attach.

Thank you!

I'd suggest finish resining/fiberglassing the chest armour before cutting it half. If you cut it in half before resining/fiberglassing, it could result in the connection points on the armour warping and misaligning when you try to fit the front and back pieces together. I've seen this happen once or twice before, and it causes a lot of unnecessary work after the fact.

As for what to use to attach the armour pieces together, I couldn't really give any suggestions myself as my armour's far from being finished. But, I have seen others use buckles with straps to properly fit the armour to one's body. Though I don't recall seeing it myself, the hinge option could also be another way of going about it.

I'd personally be against using velcro simply because it may not hold everything together well enough, given the size and weight of the armour pieces. That's just my opinion, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Spartan II says... reinforce first, cut second.

Vecro is a viable solution... but it had better be industrial or else it will fail and you'll be perfect for a zombie spartan sooner than later.

Here is my mounting solution page...

Luck to you and a speedy solution found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back