How To Resin On High-Gloss Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach semaj

Jr Member
OK, so, tomorrow I figured I'd stop stalling and go get some resin (HERE... will this work?)and I'll be resining on a very thin and slightly flimsy plastic Mark VI helmet.

I want all the details to remain preserved, and as I have never used resin before, I have no clue what to expect.

How viscous is it? What should I expect for drying time on this plastic, etc etc.

Hmmm... Interesting question... Theoretically the resin should just do the same as if it was on paper; however, it won't soak into your helm and warp it at all. I resined the outside of a very shiny ODST helm once (glossy pseudo-photo paper) and the resin on the outside was very ineffective at first. However, as I applied more resin, the piece became relatively sturdy. Pics might help. Be very careful about applying to much resin if your helm is flimsy. If you do decide to resin it, I would stuff the inside with newspaper or something to stabilize it... If you can, I'd try to resin a small piece of the same type of material and see what happens...

Hope that helped a bit

Cheers and Good Luck!

If you resin the outside, you will lose some detail; however, you can "score" (cut) the detail back in with every resinning. When you are satisfied with the amount of resin that you have on your helm, you can put all details back into the helmet in the bondo/finishing stage.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back