Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy Christmas dude! Welcome to the Foam Brigade!

One mega epic post!

Hugh... love the use of foam and like that shoulder idea... I may have to steal that one and figure out how to work it into my build...

As for the visor tutorial... super nice... where is the best place to locate the K&S plastic? Is this something that i am going to be able to find at my local hobby shop or model railroading store?

Thanks for the great post and keeping us informed... you ideas really spark the creative juices for me... gotta get back to my foam!

Cujo3131

As for the visor tutorial... super nice... where is the best place to locate the K&S plastic? Is this something that i am going to be able to find at my local hobby shop or model railroading store?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQMM9U/ref=oss_product

Thanks Cujo, and yes you can also get this stuff at some hobby shops. Hobby Town USA across the street sells them. Make sure you get a big enough size though.

Thank you sir!

We have a Hobbytown in OshKosh not too far from EAA... maybe I'll have to make a little roadtrip this weekend!

Gives me a excuse to look at all the other bobbles while I am there now... maybe pick up a new lexan body for the RC truck too!

hahahahahaha

Cujo3131

Nice visor tut sir!! I love the "sleeve" portion to mount the shoulders to, been trying to figure something out, but I think you definitely nailed it.

Shoulder Base File

Here is the shoulder base pattern I used to mount the shoulders and bicep plates to. It's a nice way to bring those elements together.

Download ODST Shoulder Base

shoulderbase.jpg

It's pretty easy to assemble using the foam mats. Just cut out the parts and assemble it like I did in this photo.

shoulder1.jpg

Use the small extension as a place to attach the bicep plates, that way you won't have to secure it onto your under suit. The small strap that wraps around your arm will help the shoulder stay in place.

I suggest getting clips and using them with webbing to secure the shoulder base to your chest core so they don't slide down your arm.

Cutting out small squares from the foam and attaching them to the inside of the shoulder plates may be a good idea depending on which shoulder file you are using. For me, they helped create a nice flush base that I could attach the two parts on.

Wow is all I can say! I thoroughly enjoyed your visor tutorial. It has quite usefull info., and I thank you for sharing it. However I still remain with a curiosity. I have been doing my research quite well and have noticed the newer foam methed. I noted your comments on how the detail was not as good as a Peped version. (at least that was the impression given) I was curious as to your opinion of whether the foam method can be combined with the Peped version to gain better detailed results. Once again, amazing work and keep it up!

Thank you for sharing the shoulder base Hugh. As Pony said, it will definitely be put to good use. Yet another great model to add to your ODST.

Woot!

Nice looking pep file.... I'll use this to double check the pattern I made from your picture on Friday.... hahahahaha I should have just waited!!! Oh well..... Thank you sir for the pep and the cool idea for this shoulder... this should sync up with my core fine... and I think the shoulders will be fine too after a minor rework!

Thanks man!!!!

Cujo3131

ugh, every time i think i'm gonna hit a snag i see you've cut me off at the pass there master hugh man!
love the method for getting the shoulders to stay up.
can't wait to see how other items fit into place (especially the torso/belt part)

heh, i haven't been this excited to continue my work on the ODST stuff since i started a couple years ago.. sadly most stuff is geared towards the WETA version, while good, they just don't sit right with me as i glare at my collection of ODST figures...
then you come along and make a truly accurate set of gear! woo hoo!!! :)
please do keep us updated and loaded with info!

oh, and especially love the visor there, wasn't a fan of the blue visor till i saw that, now i can't stop drooling.

It's pretty easy to assemble using the foam mats. Just cut out the parts and assemble it like I did in this photo.

shoulder1.jpg

Hey Hugh, how thick are those foam mats, and is it hard to bend them into the correct shapes? I'm planning on doing the biceps and the chest core out of foam. Also where would be the best place to buy them? Home Depot?

I believe that EvilFX - also known as Guyver Guy - used a heat gun to make the foam more malleable. I'm sure a hair dryer would work too.

Exaclty. The heat softens up the foam to make it easier to work with. As far as the foam itself, it is approximately 1/2" thick. It can be picked up at a Harbor Freight tools, if you have one close, or at your local Wal-Mart, found in the area of treadmills and other exercise equipment.

man this is coming along amazing very inspiring i think i'm going to go resin my helmet now lol and start messing with foam lol

excelent, i was thinking about making an inner arm from scratch, but as always, you make a huge help to the ODST armour world.

I am sorry Hugh. Please forgive my last post. I didn't understand what you were doing with your shoulder base. But now that I do understand; I say your idea is excellent and good job. Keep up the inspiring work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back