I Might Be Stupid But

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabicvamere

Jr Member
on these vacuform videos the actual vacuformed plastic
are you poring plastic into it or cutting it out and using the plastic itself and melting the halfs together?

also a shirt I'm going to start working on.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sheet plastic, usually ABC or styrene, and it's melted until it is soft... once soft, it's vacuumed over a pattern (called a buck). When it cools, it retains it shape.

connecting pieces would mean using ABS glue, or rivets. Sometimes, this vacuum formed plastic can be used as a mold for rubbers like silicone or latex.

Adam said:
It's sheet plastic, usually ABC or styrene, and it's melted until it is soft... once soft, it's vacuumed over a pattern (called a buck). When it cools, it retains it shape.

connecting pieces would mean using ABS glue, or rivets. Sometimes, this vacuum formed plastic can be used as a mold for rubbers like silicone or latex.

i was just asking cuz at hobby lobby they have similar vacuform molds with great detail on the inside but bad outside i asked why and they said that your suppose to pour resin into it and pop out the casting.

zabicvamic said:
i was just asking cuz at hobby lobby they have similar vacuform molds with great detail on the inside but bad outside i asked why and they said that your suppose to pour resin into it and pop out the casting.

details on the inside? hmmm vac forming bucks are usually solid with details on teh outside. this may be an error in nomenclature

sounds like the molds u are referring to are molds to make a vac forming buck from ie u pour resin into the mold - get all the detail into a solid cast (ie the buck)

take that buck, and u form your heated plastic OVER it, with the vacuum part of vac forming pullin that heated sheet plastic to tihtly form over the buck.

due to heat and usage, bucks often crack, break or degrade, so a maker often has molds to remake his bucks from

does that make sense?

technically - you could just FG or pour resin (and slosh it about ie slush casting) into that mold as well and get a casting from that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back