LilTyrant's HALO 4 ARMOR + Undersuit - **WIP**

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilTyrant

[Space reserved for Build Index + FAQ + Finished Images]

-------

Hello again everyone!!! :)

It’s been awhile since I regularly logged in here and life seems to keep getting more hectic (which won’t make this easier)…but…I just can’t resist anymore...

INEEDMOREARMOR!!!

A few years ago I finished my first suit (this foam Kat build) and I’ve been having a blast with the 405th Pacific and Colonial Regiments ever since. Originally I was planning a non-Halo suit for my next armor build, but with all the Spartan Shenanigans, the Kat suit is starting to see a little bit of wear and tear. Must be time for more Halo gear before it’s time to retire the old set!

I’m planning for Recon Helmet/Chest, with Scout arms/legs. Here’s my Photoshop hodge-podge collage of reference images slapped over photos of myself for scale reference:

ScaleSketch.jpg

> FIRST UP… Start Tackling Those Spartan Undies

@MasterBuilder posted some absolutely AMAZING undersuit reference images here :D. I’ll definitely be referencing these images, but I will also be tweaking things to keep my brain sane (if I tried to be 100% game accurate on this undersuit I think my face would melt)…​

> The Plan:
I’ve learned a few things from trooping in my Kat suit, so I’ll be tweaking some things with strapping and structure, but my plan of attack will more or less follow the same process as last time.

Here’s roughly how I’ll be laying out the undersuit. I’m going with the 2 tone version since so much of it is exposed and my end color scheme will most likely have a lot of white.

UndersuitSketch.jpg

Fabric_00.jpg

--

I may still explore what fabric I want to use to get the balance of texture and comfort that I’m looking for, but this is where I’m starting…I’m sure things will continue to morph once I get into it!

> Tape the Dummy:
Referencing my sketch, I taped up my dummy to block out the basic pattern breaks. Since this undersuit is so involved, I decided to make a duct tape dummy this time instead of just using my dress form. I put clothes on it so I would have something to pin to without getting nasty tape adhesive all over my pins :)

Taped_00.jpg

> Rough Out the Pattern:
Next, I cut paper to roughly fit the dummy, following the tape lines. I’m using drop cloth paper I got from Lowe’s since it comes in big rolls and it’s cheap.

Paper_00.jpg

> Clean Up the Pattern:
Lastly, I removed the paper from the dummy and retraced the pieces to clean them up and account for seam allowance.

Pattern_00.jpg

So many pieces….just for the top! This undersuit is going to give me a run for my money…so wish me luck o_O!!!

-----

Next Up: Time to get reacquainted with my sewing machine and do a test run of the pattern!!! :D :D :D

ScaleSketch.jpg

UndersuitSketch.jpg

Fabric_00.jpg

Taped_00.jpg

Paper_00.jpg

Pattern_00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LilTyrant's [ Foam HALO 4 ARMOR + Undersuit ] - **WIP**

Yes! I get to see a LilTyrant Halo suit built. Really liked your Kat suit. Looking forward to the multiple updates to come, especially with the undersuit. Best of luck with this build. :)

YESSS! Another Lil Tyrant build! So excited to be able to follow along this time!

Here we go again baby!!!! I'm so excited for another Tyrant build!!!!!

The while will be awesome!!!!

So you saving the Destiny Titan for later than LT? XD

This feels a lot like christmas!
Very excited to see this take shape, you never disappoint

Wow! I am really looking forward to following along with your progress. I stumbled on your Kat project and was inspired to try one myself. Thanks for posting so many pictures - it really helps beginners like me figure things out!

New snow armor! People will finally stop mistaking me for you, lol.

But, man that pattern looks horribly scary. You're making me nervous about my next build!

Oh man, getting to see the magic happen, this is going to be fantastic. I like to imagine what I could do if I knew a fraction of what you do about patterning and sewing, but I've never even touched a sewing machine (and my hand sewing, while good for fixing ripped canvas trousers and popped buttons, is pretty terrible).

Would I be mistaken to assume you have, at least at some point in time, done work like this professionally? Or are you just a very enthused hobbyist? Because in case nobody told you, you have quite a talent for building around the human aesthetic.

I'm so excited, a lil tyrant build, They always blow me away. I'm seated and buckled for the ride.

Hmmmm, Ive seen someone do something very similar, where they cut apart yoga matts using the template, applying it to a body suit. Gonna follow this and see how it comes out.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the love…pressure is on not to disappoint!!! o_O

So you saving the Destiny Titan for later than LT? XD
Yup…trust me, it was not an easy decision! I kept waffling back and forth SO many times…I’m pretty sure Adam is officially sick of me lamenting over what build to do first…I was SO close to starting the Titan instead. Even after I finally decided I wanted to do another Halo build, it took me about a million years to pick this combo.

New snow armor! People will finally stop mistaking me for you, lol.

But, man that pattern looks horribly scary. You're making me nervous about my next build!
Hehehe...I could always do blue again ;p. And yes, scary indeed…that picture doesn’t even account for the mirrored pieces!!! So…does this mean you’ll be sewing?!? :)

Oh man, getting to see the magic happen, this is going to be fantastic. I like to imagine what I could do if I knew a fraction of what you do about patterning and sewing, but I've never even touched a sewing machine (and my hand sewing, while good for fixing ripped canvas trousers and popped buttons, is pretty terrible).

Would I be mistaken to assume you have, at least at some point in time, done work like this professionally? Or are you just a very enthused hobbyist? Because in case nobody told you, you have quite a talent for building around the human aesthetic.
Thanks :D! I don’t really have formal training for this…I had a studio class once that covered the basics for making stuffed animals...so, kind of related? I am a Product Designer professionally though, so I’m used to working with my hands and turning 2D into 3D :).

----

Alrighty, it’s UPDATE TIME! I have to work this weekend (insert frown face), so not a ton to show since I’ve just been scrounging time after work this week…but progress is progress!

> Muslin Test Model
Whenever I sew something (unless it’s stupid simple), I like to make a test model of the pattern before diving into the final material since adjustments are almost always needed. I use muslin for test models because it is super cheap and comes in light colors (easier to mark up for corrections). I use dark thread for test models since it’s easier to see if seam ripping is required.

Here is the result of my first round pattern (don’t mind the lack of arms…they were rejected):

TestModel_00.jpg

There are definitely some things about the fit that need to be corrected, but at least now I have a baseline for the adjustments!

In other news, I FINALLY GOT A SERGER! I’ve never been so excited to have no idea what I’m doing. Hopefully next weekend I’ll have some time to sit down, read the manual and try to tame this beast. Threading this thing will be an adventure.

Juki.jpg

---

Next Up: Fix the scary pattern pieces…and maybe cut into some of that final fabric! Until then, keep building guys ~(^o^)~

TestModel_00.jpg

Juki.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Threading a serger isn't too bad. One trick you can do when changing thread colors is cut the existing thread at the spool, tie the new thread onto the end of the old thread, then simply pull it through the machine. Then all you need to do is cut off the old thread and pass the new thread through the needles. Sergers are awesome!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! SHES BACK!!!! Welcome back Lil, i see you already have started rocking this build. :)
I look forward to seeing more. Keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back