Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazerRed

Has anyone ever tried making armor out of Kydex? I was having a long conversation with a friend of mine that said its cheep and fairly pliable when heated, so it would be good to make armor with. I was telling him how I was going to start crafting soon. does anybody have 2 cents to throw in about this material?

Unless you're vacuum-forming the plastic I doubt you're going to get an awful lot of success - you need a decent amount of pressure to get the shapes you'd need, either from vacuum or a press - and the strength may not be up to much.

I'd reccomend sticking with the materials other people have used, that way you can get help from people who've had experience.

I looked up the Material and It really require some havy tools to get good results.
If you wanna try thermoplastics use worbla, cosplayflex or thibra. you can heat them up with a heat gun and sculpt stuff. But it's not cheap.
Maybe stick with foam or Pepakura.

Thanks everybody. I was originally going to go with a foam build anyways but when he mentioned the material I was curious to see if anyone had worked with it before.

It's always better to ask and hear no than to try it and find out the hard (read: unnecessary expense) way! If you do decide to experiment with it, make sure to let us know how it works out, it's always good to have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back