Foam ODST: Version 1 was okay. Now for Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know.... its getting hard to kick the "lazy" and make it "bad" right now.
Distractions are making things worse. My son has gotten into a huge Pokemon fix and has dragged me into it. I had to learn how to play the card game so that I could teach him how to play a real match instead of him just collecting the cards and making up games with his schoolmates.

I guess the Halo costumes are going by the wayside and PaiganBoi will be taking up the Team Rocket uniform now.

And he's BLASTING OFF AAAAAGGGGAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

giphy-downsized (4).gif

*gasp* What's this??? Am I posting on my thread?? Rejoice! I finally got off my butt and started on my armour again. To ease myself into the grind i started with something small. I'm making a set of gloves from scratch.
20180201_201708.jpg
I am going with the fingerless gloves like it was in game.
20180201_210522.jpg
Just a quick mock up. Still need to add some small detailsd
Here's a question for everyone. How well does contact cement (Barge in particular) bond with fabric?

I've used it and works very well. You will have to make sure not to glue the inside of the glove together. A bit of wax paper on the inside of the4 glove will prevent that. You need to first glue each piece, wait a bit and then press them together.

I've used it and works very well. You will have to make sure not to glue the inside of the glove together. A bit of wax paper on the inside of the4 glove will prevent that. You need to first glue each piece, wait a bit and then press them together.
ooooh. Wax paper. Thanks for the tip man.

tip: use the wax side not the paper side.......and just an FYI this technique does not work w/ hot glue. it will melt it and burn through.

Second the wax paper, I used to use sections of garbage bags as drop sheets for large pieces being coated with contact cement but wax paper is much better since it doesn't have the static cling to it. For a relatively flat design like this you could also use a CA glue to permanently affix or sew on snaps to the glove and back of the piece.

Bonus fact:

Parchment paper ≠ wax paper ≠ press and seal

Each have their own use in cosplay land and my dumb[FRAG] shouldn't just interchange based on whatever is on top of the supply cart closest to the work bench.

Second the wax paper, I used to use sections of garbage bags as drop sheets for large pieces being coated with contact cement but wax paper is much better since it doesn't have the static cling to it. For a relatively flat design like this you could also use a CA glue to permanently affix or sew on snaps to the glove and back of the piece.

Bonus fact:

Parchment paper ≠ wax paper ≠ press and seal

Each have their own use in cosplay land and my dumb[FRAG] shouldn't just interchange based on whatever is on top of the supply cart closest to the work bench.
Good thing you brought up the differences between wax and parchment. I was think about that myself. All I have is parchment at home and was thinking if that was a suitable sub.

Good thing you brought up the differences between wax and parchment. I was think about that myself. All I have is parchment at home and was thinking if that was a suitable sub.

It /kind of/ works in a pinch but I find I end up peeling bits of paper out of things when I use it as a backing or drop sheet.

Did you hit it w/ a heat gun first? That is another way of sealing the foam.

spray or paint on type? I have used the spray to some success.....One boot I needed to scrape and start over. Everything else came out ok.

I was ableato finish the gloves and forearms this weekend. Progress!
20180219_124502.jpg 20180219_125529.jpg
Glued on the bits for the gloves. In case you are wondering I made a foam hand to insert into the glove so it glue doesn't soak through. I had to trim the finger plates because they were too big and bumping into each other.
20180219_205059.jpg 20180219_210801.jpg 20180219_210339.jpg 20180219_210428.jpg
The forearms themselves needed surgery cuz they were scaled too big. I took a one inch chunk down the inner part and it did the trick.
On to the chest!

Now that I look at the forearms... there are some fixes I need to address before I move on to the chest rig.
First, is I left out the cuff at the wrist because of the length of the piece. I will have to add a smaller one. Second fix is the elbow pad thingy. I did a lazy thing and just stuck it on and now it just sticks out like a sore thumb and is screaming at me to be fixed... I will cut it out and fit it better.

Couldn't you just add a trim to the end of the forearms on the top rather than the end not to increase length?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back