New to Building but a halo veteran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko5569

Hello everyone. as the title points out I am new to cosplay and building. I really want to go to an anime convention with my wife and master chief is the only one tall enough to fit me. Im 6'8" so im on the short end of the actual spartan project height reqs. I know this is going to be alot of trial and error and I am looking forward to the challenge. I just have absolutely no idea where to get started. I know that I want to use Pepakura not foam. I love the Rogue spartan armor and the Mark V will always be a favorite. Any tips and hints on how to get started with be appreciated. I have a some power tools dremel and what not, but what else would be a needed so I dont waste a bunch of money.

Thank in advance!

Well I would start by looking through archives for pep files you would want to use for the armor. Considering you want to do pep, your start should be cheap considering it's just glue and paper. I would use card stock instead of normal paper. Get the pep built first. Will take some time to build pieces which will give plenty of time for more veteran members to chime in. Also look around for some tutorials for sizing on the pep files as the pieces may or may not fit as they are. I personally got lucky and didn't have to resize any pieces I used for my mark v reach armor with me being at 5' 8".

You will want to research how you want to reinforce and seal the paper such as using fiberglass resin as well.

Good luck!

You're saying you're short at 6'8"? :D What am I then, being 5'2"? ._. Hobbit Spartan? :D
We all start as n00bs, I'm currently building my first build, so I can say it's a way of trail and error. I also use pepakura (paper, hardening with resin, bondo or rondo), I tried foam but we just can't be friends.
Good luck on your build because you'll need a lot of time. Pepakura way is good, but it takes way longer than foam... Printing, cutting, gluing everything together and then hardening... more hardening and MOAR hardening and only then last detail works and then painting. It's a long way but definitely worth it. :D
Where to start? Search for the files, try to measure them correctly (it took me 2-3 tries on each piece, as I couldn't measure things correctly and they were too big or too small). Then print them out and cut and glue together. If it's your first contact with pepakura I'd recommend choosing a simpler parts for a start... like foot? Something smaller and simpler, I wouldn't go for the helmet or chest piece just yet. I personally started with feet, then went to shins, thighs and only then to forearms, arms and then chest. Helmet as last. But, after building few smaller parts like feet (took 3 times I think) I had some experience with pepping so it got easier. :)
I wouldn't think about dremels and such tools yet, there is a long way ahead of you first. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back