Noobs first build(s) all WIP H3 MKVI Dead Eye & more

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he said.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Its all good. Once you open it up fully it rights itself. I know how you feel about progress......it feels like forever till the next piece is finished.......Like a go-cart in an Indy race.......I love the detail that you did put in to the cod piece. The shelf liner that's glued on the inner part and goes over the lip...like that look. Now the "rivets". How did you do these? Heat stamped? They look too uniform and exact to be done individually by hand. Great job!!! Fantastic!!!
Thanks ! The rivets were heat stamped with a bit that I have in a wood burning kit. I know they're not game accurate but I just thought it needed a little something extra. I plan to paint and do the rivets on the rest of the pieces at some point. Adding the weathering and such seems to hide a lot of the imperfections, and I have a lot of imperfections lol. Hopefully grinding this out will get me going again. I've kind of slowed down to a crawl lately with everything else I've got going on.

This looks great! The details are amazing!

And you are not the only one with the sideways picture problem :I
Thanks coolrextreme.
So I have a question for you fellow foamers. What are you using for adhesive? I've been using hot glue with guess id call it "ok" results. It's messy and I have to use a large amount for it to hold well. I also have to clean all the excess off from my seams and it's near impossible to get it all off. I have tried several contact adhesives and they didn't work well. I have yet to try barge cement as its quite pricey and I can't find it locally. Anyone using barge cement or have any experience with it? I'm thinking I trying it I know couple of the youtube guys use it and make it looks easy.

I use hot glue. I usually remove excess with my finger while holding the pieces together. If there is leftover reside i use my hot knife to scrape it off.

I seem to have good results as the pieces seem to be well attached. Of course I won't really know until I get to wear the darn thing.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

So I have a question for you fellow foamers. What are you using for adhesive? I've been using hot glue with guess id call it "ok" results.
I use hot glue, because it's fairly inexpensive, and it holds foam together reasonably well. The only issues I have with hot glue is the fact that it has a tendency to pull apart if it hasn't completely cooled yet, and the amount of wastage (glue strings + gun drippage).

I also have to clean all the excess off from my seams and it's near impossible to get it all off.
For me, at least, I find that the best solution is to carefully cut off any excess glue with a very sharp knife after the glue has cooled and solidified. But it likely varies from person to person.

Thanks coolrextreme.
So I have a question for you fellow foamers. What are you using for adhesive? I've been using hot glue with guess id call it "ok" results. It's messy and I have to use a large amount for it to hold well. I also have to clean all the excess off from my seams and it's near impossible to get it all off. I have tried several contact adhesives and they didn't work well. I have yet to try barge cement as its quite pricey and I can't find it locally. Anyone using barge cement or have any experience with it? I'm thinking I trying it I know couple of the youtube guys use it and make it looks easy.

I'd go with barge, and keep the hot glue for repairs or pieces that have weird angles or positions. I found it online on Amazon for like $30 for the can. Comes with a brush included. It's really simple and EvilTedSmith does a really good tutorial on using it. Makes your seams so much cleaner! Also for scaling files check out HaloGoddess's halo foam scaling guide. Saved me a BUNCH of time and was SO helpful. :)

Ya I've watched a bunch of evilted's tutorials he makes it look so easy. So I might have to give it a try on thigh pieces that I started scaling out last night. I've used halogoddess scaling guide as a starting point I'm usually a bit off the first try not sure why. But that's why I usually just slap a piece together with scotch tape and paper before going to the foam. Didn't do that with my shoulders or forearms. Went straight for foam and they came out a bit off. Another thing I've learned here, I'm gonna make a lot of mistakes so learn from them.

So small update: I was frantically able to get most of my suit together to wear it for Halloween. Here's what I've got so far, there's a few things I would like to redo at some point but I will go back and address these issues later once I have a complete suit. Biggest thing is the shoulder pieces they are scaled way too small. I still struggle with scaling its amazing how much a few centimeters changes things. So here the suit - I don't have hand plates yet and the boots are only 1/2 done.....so those will be finished at a later date... still a work in progress....a very slow work and progress
halo mc 16 3.jpg mc haloween 16.jpg halo mc 16 2.jpg

Looks like we both managed to get something finished for Halloween (Halo 3 ftw)!

Looking good so far. Changing those shoulder pieces will make a big difference.

Good work!

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Thanks jme....ya i have a really bad habit of waiting until the very last minute . I had run out of my fancy green paint the night n before...... so i had ro wait until the day of halloween to paint my shins.....so i wasnt able to wear my armor indoors for long periods of time. The fumes were too bad. Overall tho im happy with it so far being my first build. we have the parade of lights coming up and im thinking of wearing it for that, maybe put a santa hat on my helmet. Hopefully i can get my boits, hand plates and maybe some new shoulders finished.

So small update..... started work on the hand plates with a little help.
IMG_0027.JPG
My new toy. I know it's a cheapy and basic but I got it in a trade for some stuff I had laying around. Hopefully this will give me a little more motivation to get building again. Didn't turn out to bad for my first print and not having a clue what I am doing.

Nice, I really need to get me a 3D printer to help out, and for your first one it looks like its coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see what else you make with it!

Ya I'm pretty pumped. Can't wait to print more. Now I just need a crash course in 3D modeling. It's nice to just download, scale then print. But I think to really enjoy it, would be to print something that I've modeled myself.

Yes!! you have come to the dark side!!

now, I'll tell you first hand it's more fun to model, then print a prop of your own design.
I have modeled several props, and after printing, you know how every single detail got on that prop.

for a starter in the world of 3D modeling, I'd suggest fusion 360. it's a pretty intuitive software, and it has some EXCELENT tutorials on how to use fusion online. the only hiccup is that you have to be a student in order to get it free.
otherwise, it's 30 bucks a month. if you're not a student, I'd suggest using something else until you learn how to use 3d modeling software. then, switch to fusion if you're comfortable with paying that. I'm a student, so I get it free.:)

I actually still use fusion for all my props. I own SolidWorks, but I'm not a huge fan. there are strengths and weaknesses, I guess. another good software is inventor. or, so I've heard.:) I'm not sure about pricing, though. you have to get a quote.

best of luck!

Last edited:
Yes!! you have come to the dark side!!

now, I'll tell you first hand it's more fun to model, then print a prop of your own design.
I have modeled several props, and after printing, you know how every single detail got on that prop.

for a starter in the world of 3D modeling, I'd suggest fusion 360. it's a pretty intuitive software, and it has some EXCELENT tutorials on how to use fusion online. the only hiccup is that you have to be a student in order to get it free.
otherwise, it's 30 bucks a month. if you're not a student, I'd suggest using something else until you learn how to use 3d modeling software. then, switch to fusion if you're comfortable with paying that. I'm a student, so I get it free.:)

I actually still use fusion for all my props. I own SolidWorks, but I'm not a huge fan. there are strengths and weaknesses, I guess. another good software is inventor. or, so I've heard.:) I'm not sure about pricing, though. you have to get a quote.

best of luck!
Ok I will keep these in mind. I am not a student so I think that I'm going to try playing around with some free software. I still need to figure out a program I can just slice a model too. Like I have said I'm not really sure what I am doing. I'm just making it up as I go along. Plus this is a very basic printer I have no control over temps or anything like that. I just pick the material to use and it does the rest. I'll post pics of the one I have printing now. I did the first one as a 220 micron and as little material as possible for the fastest time. It was getting late and I didn't want to leave it going all night still took 3hrs. One I have on there now is a 70 micron print and some more strength so we'll see the comparison. 7hr print for a hand plate lol :whistle:

7 hours? that's not enough! I print small parts at 0.1-0.05mm! 16 hours, much nicer results!:D (i'm just teasing) You will get very much used to long prints. my shin armor on my printbed right now is in 3 pieces, each taking about 24 hours. be patient with your printer, it will take time to get nice results. once you tune your printer, you'll have a lot of pretty-looking plastic parts that your printer is spitting out.

for slicing models, I would use Autodesk NetFabb Basic. It's fast, it's easy, it's pretty intuitive. it's free! Basic version doesn't have a whole lot of features, so If you want more features, spend an extra 20 bucks for something nice. you will use it a lot!

if you want a super simple learning software, 123D MAKE is a SUPER basic software. zero cost, too. it's a good learning program. not much to it, not many features.

notice how all the programs I suggest are Autodesk?:D they are the best!

hope this will steer you in the right direction!

7 hours? that's not enough! I print small parts at 0.1-0.05mm! 16 hours, much nicer results!:D (i'm just teasing) You will get very much used to long prints. my shin armor on my printbed right now is in 3 pieces, each taking about 24 hours. be patient with your printer, it will take time to get nice results. once you tune your printer, you'll have a lot of pretty-looking plastic parts that your printer is spitting out.

for slicing models, I would use Autodesk NetFabb Basic. It's fast, it's easy, it's pretty intuitive. it's free! Basic version doesn't have a whole lot of features, so If you want more features, spend an extra 20 bucks for something nice. you will use it a lot!

if you want a super simple learning software, 123D MAKE is a SUPER basic software. zero cost, too. it's a good learning program. not much to it, not many features.

notice how all the programs I suggest are Autodesk?:D they are the best!

hope this will steer you in the right direction!
Alright thanks for for the suggestions. Yes simple is good at this point. Ya like I said this printer is very basic not much I can really do for tuning. I have 70 and 220 microns (whatever units those are) for my options in print quality. So we'll see how this one turns out it'll be as good as this little printer can do. But your software suggestions should help, I appreciate it.

IMG_0062.JPG
So 1/2 way through the print I'm not too impressed. Maybe it's a room temperature thing or something not sure or maybe it's the cheapo printer. I don't know guess need to play with it some more. It's nothing that can't be cleaned up just not a very precise printer I guess.
Update: now that I watch the print I think I might see the problem. It's a dual extruded head and I don't think the jets are even. Looks like one of them hits the layer just printer by the other jet. Trial and error I suppose I'll have to play with things before my next print..
Edit: sorry for the double post...wasn't even thinking.
Update: so not as easy as it looks. Props to all of you guys 3D printing all these. So my first prints are useable but far from perfect or precise. I have some bugs to work out.
IMG_0063.JPG
The one with the less dremel work was the 3hr print and the other with ALOT of dremel work was my 7hr print. So once again props to all you printers you guys make it look easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back