PC Log On Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

I'm hoping someone can help me with something real quick I got a PC from a friend of mine that works with a Oil Company, that the company got rid of all the old computers they had so he got one of them, I checked with the company they said it was fine for me to have it but they could'nt give me the login information. My problem is that when you turn the computer on it has a login screen when it loads Windows XP, where it wants a ID and Password, Is there a way to have the computer remove that info with a start-up disk or something also tried to Format the Hard Drive with no luck it went through searching for devices then I got a Blue Screen with it saying something about PCI.sys problem so I can't format it either, any one got any ideas?

Problem there is I can't format it and I can't get past the Log On Screen how would I use a disk with Ubuntu to get past all this if you could tell me here or send me a PM with a step-by-step method?

I remember having to help my teacher with this once, but all I did was set it up. And he had the Ubuntu set on his USB, and changed the start up method to boot from USB.

Okay. So you've tried formatting the hard drive?

In that case, the login is coming from the BIOS. Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

The more I read the problem, the more I'm convinced they put a lock on the BIOS. Clearing the CMOS may remove the lock.

Ok that might work how would I go about clearing the CMOS, it's the Windows Logon screen where it's blue and wants a password for one of the users, I have a Windows XP Install disk which is what I am trying to do is format the HD and re-install everything.

Oh. In that case, it's not the BIOS.

When the computer boots, there should be a key (usually F10, could be esc or del) that will take you to a boot device menu. Make sure the Windows XP installation CD is in the drive and select your optical drive. Press enter and that should let you boot from the CD.

Tried that I'll get a photo of the blue screen I'm getting when it runs through the beginning of of start up of the install disk and after it searches for devices. My other option is to contact the company because when it comes up the companys logo is at the top, if there was a free program out there that I could put on CD to format the PC as soon as it loads that would be perfect for what I need to do.

if there was a free program out there that I could put on CD to format the PC as soon as it loads that would be perfect for what I need to do.

You could try gparted, that's a linux based tool for formatting and partitioning.
You could also take out the hard disk, put it into a second computer and format it there.

Most companies put in an ID and password for a reason. There is no easy way bypassing the login screen. If you have one of my company's computer, forget it. The system encrypts the login screen. Hacking it is almost impossible. The only option that you have is get a Windows XP install disk and reinstall the OS. Windows will ask you to reformat the HD.

I did this to several laptops using the same Windows XP CD. I think you can't use Vista or Windows 7 because the installation CD is computer specific - once installed on one machine, it cannot be install on a different computer.

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|103dt|92000816|dpl.zip|3530

And the how to: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...indows-xp-computer-without-changing-password/

Much simpler should be pretty much self explanatory we had to do this a while ago with a friends computer

I'm assuming it runs XP right?

If so the admin account may not be protected you just go the the main screen and press
ctrl+alt+del twice and when asked for username and pass type administrator and leave the password slot blank.

Hope my shady skills will help you!

I did this to several laptops using the same Windows XP CD. I think you can't use Vista or Windows 7 because the installation CD is computer specific - once installed on one machine, it cannot be install on a different computer.

A real installation disk (not this recovery crap) is neither limited to a specific PC nor to a specific number of PCs.

Most companies put in an ID and password for a reason. There is no easy way bypassing the login screen. If you have one of my company's computer, forget it. The system encrypts the login screen. Hacking it is almost impossible. The only option that you have is get a Windows XP install disk and reinstall the OS. Windows will ask you to reformat the HD.

Uhh..nope. The only thing that is computer specific is the key code. When you buy Windows, you're not paying for the DVD. You're paying for the key code that activates Windows.

Uhh..nope. The only thing that is computer specific is the key code. When you buy Windows, you're not paying for the DVD. You're paying for the key code that activates Windows.

The key code can only be activated on one computer. Yes, you can install the OS on other computers but you will still need to activate the Windows. More than likely you can activate the second Windows on a second laptop. If Microsoft wants to be a pest, they can come back to you to get you to pay for the second OS. When you activate a Windows, my belief is Microsoft records your IP, Keycode and also your system information. Ever wonder why?

The key code isn't computer specific either. If you (in a sudden burst of frustration) decide to blow your PC up, it's perfectly ok to install Windows on a new PC and use that very code (i.e. your licence) for it.

I don't know what Microsoft would do if you were to install and activate your licence on two PCs simultaneously, or if they'd even notice (or care...). I do know that they won't let you activate it on different PCs over the internet infinitely. Reformatting a hundred times is ok, but if the hardware changes, they will ask you to do it by phone at some point and ask you what youre doing that requires so many new activations. I've had that with my office licence.

Blowing the PC up was a last option. But I have successfully re-formatted and re-installed Windows on it. I don't see why this thread needs to remain open thanks for the help guiys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back