Pepakura Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorAwesome

So I've started a pepakura, twice. The first time I used white glue and it didn't go well, now I've started again. Is masking tape a good alternative to glue?

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    692.6 KB · Views: 240
I wouldn't use masking tape... the glue dries up and gets chalky after awhile.I'm not sure how resin would work with it either..
I use Aleenes Tacky glue, it has a perfect drying time and is really strong. its almost like white glue but it stays more flexible and is stickier.

So... it's not a good idea. I have all the edges taped on the inside and out. I already have it almost done too. Oh well, I'll just see if it works well with tape and if it doesn't, third times a charm.

Yup, Experimentation is always good. you should post if it ends up working or not.

Will do. I will see if I can find any plastic craft sheets at Walmart for the visor too, if that doesn't work. I'll buy a large soda bottle. If that doesn't work, I'll take advice.

The problem w/ using tape, any type, tends to loose its adhesion on contact w/ resin. The resin needs to "soak" in to the paper for optimal usage. You can go w/ Aleenes Tacky glue, or w/ crazy glue which has a much shorter working time. I use Duco cement which is like super glue but has a much longer working time but way shorter than even tacky glue which is the best of the PVC glues. This is one of those topics that boils down to preference. Which one suits your needs and skills best, only you can know. Like electricknite says, "Experiment".

I tested my tape idea by taping two pieces of paper together and soaking them in water for a few minutes, when I pulled them the tape, just one piece held strong and the paper ripped before the tape did.

Resin isn't water based. Water deteriorates paper, while resin wont eat it away it'll just soak into it. if that makes sense.

Dirtdives Does the resin attack the glue? or is it the heat?

Last edited:
that's the special quality of masking tape, it's paper based and soaks up resin really nice. It does depend on the brand, though.

And if it held up to water, surely it'll hold up to resin. I would coat the inside instead of the outside, and if you want, you cpuld remove the tape on the outside if you want to preserve detail more, and give you something easier to sand. I imagine the tape will be significantly harder to sand than paper, as it is fibrous. (well, paper is fibrous, too; but masking tape has a lot larger fibers, giving the sandpaper something to "grab onto" and tearing the tape...Which may hinder your sanding and slow the process.

that^ is all hypothetical, of course. Everything might work out perfectly.

But yeah, experimentation is an important factor, I'll 2nd electricknite's "experimentation" quota.

Best of luck!

Why not use super glue? Personally I find this the best to use...
well, he's already built his nice ODST helmet and wants to try and salvage what he's already made. I prefer super glue, too, but there's definitely other methods to try. Besides, who doesn't want to learn something new about armor building? :D

I can't apply resin as they're giving rain all week. I'll get back to you guys after I try it. I've personally never done pep before but I have a lot of expirience with sewing and embroidery, and a little leatherwork. (I did a civil war outfit and a 111 vault suit) I'm also thinking of using parafoil chest piece from reach instead of the standard odst chest piece, that's acceptable right?

Last edited:
I found a post while browsing saying it's a good idea... hmm... :D
I use Masking Tape and it works like a charm! It's quick, it's clean, and it seals the seams when I pour Rondo in it. I Don't have to resin the pieces before I rondo and it's over all the best way to quickly build peps.

I also cut off all the tabs so the seams match up perfectly so there is no over lap on the pieces or spaces for rondo to get between the two sheets of paper.

I also remove all the tape once I pour in my rondo. The heat of the rondo losesn the adhesive on the tape to is comes off really easy.

Then I take the piece in the shower and wash off all the paper.

This leaves me a nice smooth clean piece without the mess of Glass and Resin.

Here is my build on the OC site:

Board Message
I'm still going to use resin and etch details myself. I was thinking use resin a little at a time and peel off the tape as I go until I cover the whole thing and make sure it's solid. Then pile the layers from there.

Honestly man, I'd slowly go through your project and just glue the seams. I used hot glue on my first helmet. It wasn't bad, but I ended up having to carve out chunks of the glue during the bodywork process and fill with body filler. Overall, it worked pretty well.

On the second lid I started, I used elmers papercraft glue, and it worked very well.

You want your resin to soak into the cardstock completely so that you have a sound structure. On both of my models, they would not have stayed sturdy without the full length of every tab glued solid, as there is some tension on a number of the tabs.

Just my recommendation!

So about that chest piece, parafoil is technically another variant of standard odst right? I think Jumpjet is too? I want to recreate my spartan on halo reach. Parafoil with robotic arm, and jumpjet pad on the prothstecic and .50 cal supplement round shoulder pad on other arm. And a odst hemet with a Uparmor COMLNK. Black with Brick Details. I would like the jetpack too. One that is functional with the lights and extending jets. Lastly, a Sniper Rifle. I'll take a screenshot later.

The first full suit build i ever attempted was Pep'd. When i do Paper-crafting, which i'm working on a destiny piece right now, i used fast bonding craft superglue. I assemble a decent portion then i stop and heat up a moderate heat craft glue gun and trace a thin line of hotglue across every inside fold half on the fold and half on the connected piece. The superglue allows for fast bonding and going back over it with the hotglue makes a backup bond and gives a little bit of strength.

From there i do the regular Resin - Then Resin/Bondo (ROndo) pass on the outside and inside of the piece for hardening. sand, prime, paint, whether ect...

I've actually had time to work on it today and it's... coming along. I'm going to go over it in the morning in the creases that are still wanting to come apart and use hot glue from the inside, but overall it's pretty sturdy... surprisingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back