Pepakura File Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meleck

Jr Member
I'm a professional tech writer and a casual pack rat. When I get interested in a subject, I gather all the information that I can before starting something. I have gathered all the files for the ODST armor that I could find on 4shared and on this site. I would like to propose a structure when naming files for Pepakura.

Why? Do you ask; You have all the files you need and you don't really need more than one. True and false at the same time.

There are untold repeats on 4shared and the file names are different even when the file is not. How many version of teh Rookie helmet are there on the internet? How many version do we have here on the forum? It's a rhetorical question and I don't really need the answer. I personnaly have at least three or four versions and I know I'm missing a few.

So I propose a file structure for all files proposed on this forum. I like standards.

The file would have this structure (hey I write reference manuals for code).

[Source] - [Character] [HD] [Armor piece] [Left|Right].[Modeler].[Unfolder].[obj|pdo]

where

Source is the game or reference such as Halo 3 or Halo Weta. I based this on the Hub structure.

Character is the game character using this item such as Spartan, CQB, ODST, Elite, Elite Honor Guard.

HD for high definition pieces. Otherwise it's considered normal and we can even have LD for low definition.

Armor piece is the actual armor piece or weapon name. The actual position on the body is used for the armor piece. I am working on a graphic for the ODST. For example, what`s the difference for the ODST armor between arm, forearm, and gauntlet pieces? Nothing. It would be nice to standardized.

Left or Right from the view of the character. Or where you would wear them. Pretty self explanatory.

Modeler and Unfolder - As files gather on someone's computer, it makes it extremely hard to differentiate between files when they have the same name. The modeler is important so is the unfolder. As you all well know, we all have our preferences in terms of whose unfold we like. I personnally like to unfold my own stuff but I will keep other people's unfold as reference. I like to start with an unfold by Harding29, it's a lot easier than starting from scratch.

Any element which is omitted is simply left out. If someone proposes an OBJ file, there is no need for the unfolder as it's not unfolded yet.

I like this idea personally it just give more details about a pepakura file besides just one or two things on it that describe it.

That seems like a fairly good idea. Organization is always nice. :) I think the place to start with this would be the Halocostuming wiki.; however, what you propose, (correct me if I'm wrong) would involve renaming and reuploading most every file onto sites. This might be very tedious; however, I'm sure that plenty of people would help. I'll try to round up any of my old/obscure files if you'd like.

Cheers!

I like the idea, but alot of the unfolds actually have text on them saying who the modeler and unfolder is.

Take your stuff for instance Nintendude. Your unfolds usually have 'Unfolded by Vagabond' or your logo

I know that some people have their name in the files but if I want to rename the files I need to have a way to differentiate them based on filename. I can't have 2 or more files with the same name hence the naming convention.

And I'm not saying we should rename previous files, though it would be ideal. I have based my naming convention on what Kensai is doing on the pepakura hub on the 405th and added a little bit more information.

I also encourage the use of version numbers for the pieces, modeler and unfolder. For example, there are two versions of the long and slim pouch worn by the ODSTs. Therefore there would be a Pouch v1 and Pouch v2. I have unfolded two versions of the pouch based on my first attempt at building one. So I would the final name for the pouch is

Halo 3 ODST - ODST Pouch v2.FalseKnightmare.Meleck.v2.pdo

Addendum:

Another point in favor of a naming convention for filenames is providing reference. I just answered the question by EstonianGuy on what would be an easy pepakura build. I have the files on my system so I don't remember where I actually downloaded the file. I wanted to propose a build of the M6 SOCOM. I know there are some out there that are very basic builds with little detail. I didn't have the file on hand so I proposed something else. But the point is still valid. How can I refer someone to a particular file when I can't get a reference by modeler and unfolder? It's very hard and it will be even harder for him to find it.

You are slightly ahead of me because I did base my naming convention on yours, i.e. the files already in the Pepakura Download Hub on the 405th. But you don't have any information on modeler and unfolder. Therefore you are limited to one file per armor piece or weapon. Therefore you had to do an executive decision as to which file you were going to host.

I also created to thread to bring it to the attention of other people uploading files to other sites such as Mediafire and 4Shared.

Kensai, I'm not too sure you read the entire thread. Otherwise, you would have known that I am basing my naming convention on yours. Tsk, tsk, tsk... Thanks for starting the naming convention and for creating a central hub for all the pep pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back