Pepakura Tabs Overlapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yokim

I've come across a slight roadblock just before I was about to print the pages, some of the tabs overlap eachother. What should I do when I need to glue the tabs onto another part of the helmet? Feeling quite stuck as I tried this before and the overlapping tabs prevented me from making any progress. Thanks for the help!
laapp.PNGlap.PNGover.PNG

Try to cut down the middle of those tabs, if you can. That said, the unfold job for the file you're using looks pretty awful as it is, so you may want to seek alternatives.

Try to cut down the middle of those tabs, if you can. That said, the unfold job for the file you're using looks pretty awful as it is, so you may want to seek alternatives.
This is what confuses me, DFT made a tutorial on making an ODST helmet using pepakura and used the same file as me, and hasn't changed the sizing whatsoever and neither have I. I'll look more into it, hopefully I'll be able to find a solution.

This is what confuses me, DFT made a tutorial on making an ODST helmet using pepakura and used the same file as me, and hasn't changed the sizing whatsoever and neither have I. I'll look more into it, hopefully I'll be able to find a solution.

It might be worth knowing which ODST helm you're using, though I would personally recommend looking for Hugh Holder's files - they're a lot more easy to put together and you'll get better results without having to end up wanting to fling your work at a wall while cursing heavily.

Trust me on that one.

It might be worth knowing which ODST helm you're using, though I would personally recommend looking for Hugh Holder's files - they're a lot more easy to put together and you'll get better results without having to end up wanting to fling your work at a wall while cursing heavily.

Trust me on that one.
I've been using this one: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=141
I'll have a look at Hugh Holder's files, hopefully I'll get better results this time. Thanks

Yeah, I've tried that file myself. It's a good model, but that doesn't always translate well to Pepakura. As I said, Hugh's ODST set is probably the better file to use - most ODST sets I've seen over the last year or so use those files as a base.

Yeah, I've tried that file myself. It's a good model, but that doesn't always translate well to Pepakura. As I said, Hugh's ODST set is probably the better file to use - most ODST sets I've seen over the last year or so use those files as a base.
Ah I thought it was made for pepakura and I was doing something wrong with scaling, thanks for the help!

I've been using this one: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=141
I'll have a look at Hugh Holder's files, hopefully I'll get better results this time. Thanks

I've used that file as well as Hugh's file. I highly recommend Hugh's instead. Let me put it this way, my model based on the model by Hugh Holder is already hardened and ready to progress to bondo. The one you linked to has been sitting half pepped for at least a month, and I'm having trouble forcing myself to either finish it or throw it away. That was also AFTER editing tabs and pieces to make it slightly simpler.

Also, I'm still a novice at this whole process so having the modular build of Hugh's ODST helmet allowed me to build a section in a night and feel like I was accomplishing things early on.

I've used that file as well as Hugh's file. I highly recommend Hugh's instead. Let me put it this way, my model based on the model by Hugh Holder is already hardened and ready to progress to bondo. The one you linked to has been sitting half pepped for at least a month, and I'm having trouble forcing myself to either finish it or throw it away. That was also AFTER editing tabs and pieces to make it slightly simpler.

Also, I'm still a novice at this whole process so having the modular build of Hugh's ODST helmet allowed me to build a section in a night and feel like I was accomplishing things early on.
Hugh's file uses more pages but it is definitely easier, I'll be using this one then. Again, thanks for all the help!

Hugh's file uses more pages but it is definitely easier, I'll be using this one then. Again, thanks for all the help!

Remember you can always rearrange pieces and split/join them to make it easier. Just be sure there are no overlapping parts if you choose to do so. You'll likely need to rearrange parts if/when you scale it to size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone help me fix this?? I figured it's kind of a similar issue. the piece seems to have unfolded oddly and my current abilities do not allow me to fix this. It's from YesMaybeNo's halo 4 mark VI chest piece (multiplayer Version). pdo
Problem Help.png

This happens when the original published misses an overlapping piece that is still attached. You need to "cut" the piece at a connection line. I'm still running D3 but the principal is still the same. The icon is the 3rd from the left (2 arrows facing in and 2 facing out) on the bottom tier. It will allow you to separate pieces from itself. It will highlight a cut line and just click it. The 1 piece will now be 2 separate pieces.

IshidaRyusei - Dirtdives is right with his suggestion for you above. "Divide/Connect Faces (Ctrl+N)"*

Pidgeon - It looks like you're on the right track, but I just wanted to throw this in here.. Those tabs are huge!! Lol. The tabs imo come way too big to start. You'll run into other problems as you build if you keep them like that. For instance, sometimes the tabs are bigger than the piece your gluing it to. Silly. You can always just cut them however you want, like Chernobyl suggested in her first post. But you can also just edit the size of all the tabs before printing. It is one of the icons on the top bar. Hard to describe, but it says "Edit Flaps (Ctrl+F)"* I like to make the height 3mm, just big enough to bend with your finger, but small enough to glue into almost every spot. Good luck with the build!

*I'm running Pep Designer 3

IshidaRyusei - Dirtdives is right with his suggestion for you above. "Divide/Connect Faces (Ctrl+N)"*

Pidgeon - It looks like you're on the right track, but I just wanted to throw this in here.. Those tabs are huge!! Lol. The tabs imo come way too big to start. You'll run into other problems as you build if you keep them like that. For instance, sometimes the tabs are bigger than the piece your gluing it to. Silly. You can always just cut them however you want, like Chernobyl suggested in her first post. But you can also just edit the size of all the tabs before printing. It is one of the icons on the top bar. Hard to describe, but it says "Edit Flaps (Ctrl+F)"* I like to make the height 3mm, just big enough to bend with your finger, but small enough to glue into almost every spot. Good luck with the build!

*I'm running Pep Designer 3
It was just zoomed in, they're actually incredibly small which is a problem. I've moved on to do Hugh Holder's file which is so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back