Post DragonCon & the Road to Deployment

LightsbrSamurai

Hey y’all!

DragonCon was crazy- a stress test of my first halo cosplay, the first time I had ever walked in any kind of parade, and I got to meet up with bunch of friends for the first time! I also made some new ones, and I look forward to seeing them again at future conventions!

With this experience came knowledge, however, and I am building a checklist of things that I will be doing to improve my kit.
  • Revamping the Boot Covers (and getting new boots)
  • Adding elastic and decorations to the shins.
  • Decking out the helmet with full electronics which will include but not be limited to: fans, voice mod and speakers, lights.
  • Adding an antenna like Bucks to my helmet, and some custom modifications that I am currently sorting out/drawing up.
  • Adding decals to my armor which will include but not be limited to: blood type decal, squad decal, and a custom decal reminiscent of decals pilots would put on the sides of their B-17’s during WWII.
  • Adding reinforcement to the thigh plates (they broke during the DragonCon parade bc the glue melted).
  • Finding a way to support the belt and thigh plates via either a vest or suspenders.
  • Repair/replace the knee pad on my right shin (snapped off during the parade)
  • Redo/revamp my approach to the forearms/elbows. They cut into my wrists, and the goal is to be in functional, comfortable armor… or as much as you can be. Haha.
  • Potentially reprint the entirety of my chest rig at a larger size- either that, or redo the rigging and straps for the entire chest rig so that it doesn’t dig into my stomach and side in certain places
  • Find a better way to rig the shoulder bells so that they don’t slide around on my arm- they kept touching themselves behind my shoulders instead of staying in line with my collar.
  • Print and rig up a backpack. (May potentially do a bullfrog jump pack. We will see.)
  • Printer weapon that’s larger than a SOCOM and have it ready to go with me. Thinking M90 shotgun like Sarge from RVB, but idk- again, we shall see.
  • Add more greeblies to my armor. As a good friend of mine said during the con: “the moment you give a service member a kit, it is no longer standard issue because they immediately start messing with it. ODST’s should be no different.”
That is a rough list of changes I want to make before I march with that kit again. The nice thing is that most of those items are not super high in cost monetarily- but we shall see.

As the title of the post says, though, I am also getting on the road to Deployment! It is now a dream of mine to get Ezra “Crash” Hawks deployed as a kit so that I can partake in 405th events in a more formal capacity. I would like this checklist to be complete before I deploy him, hence the title.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_8406.jpeg
    IMG_8406.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
It's crazy how much you learn from the first con!

Sounds like you could really benefit from a vest system. One thing I found really cool after meeting a bunch of other halo cosplayers was learning how they rigged their undersuits. It makes such a world of difference.

Good luck on your road to deployment! I'll be following all the way :)

That is some great info. I am planning on making dragoncon next year hopefully with a full suit ready to go. I can't wait to see your progress
Thanks! Good luck! It’s quite a process, and it takes quite a bit of effort and time, but in the end, it is so totally worth it.

One thing I will recommend that is not on that list that I forgot to add because it was 1 AM when I was making it is compression shorts. Under armor or wicking compression shorts.

I made the mistake of not wearing those, and let’s just say that chafing is a real thing that people deal with when they have armor strapped to their legs…

• Add compression shorts to my gear bag so I can wear those under my costume.

Definitely down to Armor Party sometime in the wintertime to get things banged out! I've got a handful of adjustments to make myself. Was good to see ya in the kit and hanging out with the squad!

Great writeup and learning experience. Even as a veteran I am still kit improving. Amazing how much you learn first go.

I have nothing but faith you will get it done and good luck on your improvements. I have zero doubts deployment will go well for you!

Your build looks great! I'm so sad I couldn't make it out to DragonCon this year.

Decking out the helmet with full electronics which will include but not be limited to: fans, voice mod and speakers, lights.
I HIGHLY recommend the fans :lol: . They're a lifesaver when you're wearing your helmet for an extended period of time.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back