Printjob for a friend of mine (Destiny Iron Camelot hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaween

Can't share the files, as they're not mine to share : a friend of mine asked if I would be wiling to print this commissioned helmet for him.
Of course I could. And the results were quite pleasing : no afterwork done, It's all just taped together. The new owner will make it shine I've no doubt.
But if found it a cool little thing to share :

ABS+ print, 245/117° C (lol) hotend and hotbed temps .15 Layer height, 3 wall shell, 25% infill, 5 top layer, 3 bottom layer, printed nearly entirely supportless, only the visor buck needed some extra support. Cura 15.x, Hatchbox clone machine

Customer asked for a good fit after padding was added to keep the helmet comfortable. I was happy to see that after the padding, the line of sight/face lined up perfectly with the faceplate's opening. :)

Spikes "hover" a bit above the helmet : that's on purpose : they're a pretty tight fit and a horror to get out of the mounting pens, so I left them there in a posiiton where I could still easlity remove them.
Also, the parts actually line up waaay better than on the pic, but I was already happy the thing stayed together for a pic while being duct taped like that. I could even wear it without pieces falling off. :D :D :D

destiny 1.jpg

Attachments

• destiny 2.jpg
    destiny 2.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 262
  • destiny 3.jpg
    destiny 3.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 250
Is this a destiny helmet? I don't play destiny anymore, but I remember Warlock helmets looking a lot like that. Nice print kaween, I hope your friend likes it!

yeah, it does look really nice!

you know, I just realized that I should share more of the stuff I make.

maybe I'll do so, soon, very soon

Yes! That's so awesome! I'd love to see what this guys build looks like in the end, very good job on this print!

Thank you guys. :) *bows*

I've been printing and creating stuff in the last year, not posting about it at all, thinking it wasn't worth much if any attention. Till some Cmdr kicked this Spartans' behind. ;)

Hehehe, after posting this, the good man who ordered the print asked if it "would be possible to make a miniature version of it for keepsake".

Well ...

mini destiny 1.jpg
mini destiny 2.jpgmini destiny 3.jpg

I was very surprised about the amount of detail that was perserved on such a small print, and I think it's a really cool idea to include as a free give away with future prints.

I'm also surprised by the amount of detail that's in the smaller helmet, seeing as you aren't using an sla printer.

It's worse than that : it's not only not an SLA printer, it's a bloody self-assembled one too. :D :D :D

Could you send me a link to where you buy that abs + thing i searched on the internet and i only find the classic abs that warp a lot. Is abs+ the same thing that PETG fillament ? :)

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Oh sorry man, I only now see this message ... :(

eSun ABS+ can be found at Reprapworld for example. But I've been experimenting with a new type of ABS+ which is ..... amazing. Still too early to tell, but be sure I will share this with the community too.

ABS+ is NOT PETG. It's ABS deluted with "something else". Wouldn't be able to tell you "with what".

If you continue to have issues finding the stuff, let me know, send me a mail or whatever.

Here's two pics for you all to look at :

First of all, the guy that ordered the helmet is ready with it :

helmet.jpg

Secondly, I've stumbled over a different brand of ABS+ that is suffering from an identity crisis, believing it's PLA. Here's one of those drink grenades I did, one side is PLA, the other is ABS+

grenade.jpg

So yeah, normally you can tell ABS from PLA by the fact PLA shines after print, while ABS either stays dull or doesn't shine half as much.

Not only does this ABS+ look like PLA, it even prints at PLA- temperatures (215°C). Still too early to tell if it's really as good as it seems, but so far, this stuff has left me impressed.

I found that eSun as well as this other stuff prints warpfree if you print the first 200 layers or so at a reduced speed. Note : i would not advise printing ABS nor ABS+ in a machine without enclosure. I know you have a Wanhao, which is perfectly suited to print this stuff, but ABS is just slightly unforgiving when it comes to drafts/uncontrolled cooldowns ect. I know there are people claiming success with ABS prints without enclosure, I can only say they either have much more luck than me or they have achieved a much higher level of control over their machines then I have.

But a GOOD callibrated machine in an enclosure can do amazing things even with a stuborn material as ABS, even when it's a sub 300USD self build Delta like mine : Here's the underside/arch of a MA5D stock, printed in ABS eSun stuff : no post processing, it comes of the printbed looking like that :

testprint abs.jpg

and believe me, it's near 100% flat at the interconnections, with no noticable warp.

This is a reprint of a part I considered sub-par in hindsight, coming from an order which FAILED TO DELIVER TWICE NOW (.... something with Canadians, I don't know :) ), I'm too embarrassed to tell the future owner it has failed AGAIN with delivery, so I took the time to redo this part, and I'll send it out AGAIN next week. I swear, post offices and me, it's horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back