Project Mini Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaiganBoi

Sr Member
Alrighty... I may be asking for a world of pain for this but, I might end up putting my ODST build on hold and starting another project starting in September. My 8 year old son has been watching me build my suit and is now interested in a suit of armour for himself and would like to have it for Halloween this year. So I jumped on Armorsmith and started to tinker with the H3 Mark VI for him. Just started this thread in advance. I would up load some screen pics for people to see and correct any scaling issues I might not have noticed but, it seems the jpg files are too large. Will post later on.
On a side note, at the end of the month I am going to the Toronto FanExpo and my son is going to wear his Saiyan costume from last Halloween. I will be tweaking it a bit by making new gauntlets and some sort of boots/shin guards. Will post that in a separate thread.
Thanks for reading.

Okay. Got pics of Mini Chief from my ArmourSmith mock up. I will have to make some adjustments for sure. The dummy that have in there is to my kid's height but definitely not to the rest of his measurements. I mean.... my son is a toothpick. The dummy in the pics.... is well built. :lol:
That aside, if anyone sees any adjustments I should make, feel free to pipe in.
MKVI.JPG
MKVIa.JPG
MKVIb.JPG

Okay. Got pics of Mini Chief from my ArmourSmith mock up. I will have to make some adjustments for sure. The dummy that have in there is to my kid's height but definitely not to the rest of his measurements. I mean.... my son is a toothpick. The dummy in the pics.... is well built. :lol:
That aside, if anyone sees any adjustments I should make, feel free to pipe in.View attachment 248277 View attachment 248278 View attachment 248279
Is his head that small? Usually kids' heads are larger than the rest of their body...If you get my meaning. Kids have big heads! :) Lol.

In my opinion I would bump up the chest shoulders hands and forearms. I think the whole lower half looks good. And agreed that helmet looks like a very tight fit
Edit- helmets tough because I always thought that Bungie had modeled the MKVI quite small in the game.

In my opinion I would bump up the chest shoulders hands and forearms. I think the whole lower half looks good. And agreed that helmet looks like a very tight fit
The arms and shoulders actually need to be adjusted to fit some seriously skinny arms. My son has pipe cleaners for arms.
I agree as well, the head needs to be bumped up a bit.

I have several mis-scaled helmets under my belt as well. And as for Bungie/343 scaling......Yea, I read once that if the helmet was built to correct scale, Spartan or regular human, the wearer couldn't put it on or take off. The opening was too small to do so.

I played around on Armour Smith again. This time I edited my son's avatar and then went back and made some adjustments to the scale of the suit. I knew my son was a twig... but jeez! When you apply a value to it.... its scary.
MKVIc.JPG

As you can see, he has now the bobble head going on.

UPDATE:
With this post I have officially started on my son's MKVI armour for Halloween. I started with the quickest bit... The hand plates. 20170823_213943.jpg
For kicks I placed them on top of my gloves to show how small his hands are!
As well I tinkered (again...) with the scale of the suit. Used a ref pic to better set things up. MKVId.JPGMKVIf.JPG MKVIe.JPG

Decided to rename my thread. :p
Have the boot pattern all traced out and will start some cutting tonight. Not shown here is a bunch of bits and bites that were cut out on 6mm foam.
20170825_210503.jpg

I played around on Armour Smith again. This time I edited my son's avatar and then went back and made some adjustments to the scale of the suit. I knew my son was a twig... but jeez! When you apply a value to it.... its scary.View attachment 248597 View attachment 248598
As you can see, he has now the bobble head going on.
That looks far more realistic for a kid though. It's good you went back and altered it.

Have you thought about making a duct tape torso body maniquin of him? Mine will never stand still for fitting/moulding and we end up getting fed up of eachother....my fault, he's only 8!

Reactions: Kat
Joffersmk2, I'm not using a marker. It's actually a chalk pencil.
Check this out: General Pencil General's Pastel Chalk Pencils, Cool Colors General P... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AQREQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_hxvOzb5V034M4
As for my son he's 8 as well and I do have a duct tape dress form for him . He enjoyed the process and managed to sit still enough for me to get it done. IMAG0729.jpg
It's currently being used to display his Saiyan Warrior armour that I made for him last year.

Joffersmk2, I'm not using a marker. It's actually a chalk pencil.
Check this out: General Pencil General's Pastel Chalk Pencils, Cool Colors General P... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AQREQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_hxvOzb5V034M4
As for my son he's 8 as well and I do have a duct tape dress form for him . He enjoyed the process and managed to sit still enough for me to get it done. View attachment 248849
It's currently being used to display his Saiyan Warrior armour that I made for him last year.
Haha! I laugh at choo! I fear you have a case of too-many-projects syndrome. Like I don't...Cuz I do, too...let me think...I have, what? Six projects? *cringe*

I think it's awesome you call that duct tape dummy your son. Buuttt...That duct tape dummy obviously isn't a human.

Oh, the lunatics on this website. :whistle::lol::rolleyes::unsure::oops::confused:o_O

:D:D

OK, I'm done with the awful jokes. Looks like you have lots of work to do. Keep it up, man!

UPDATE:
This update also includes a delay... :mad:
Looks like I have run out of adhesive materials. My can of cement has started to dry out. It's become gel like and doesn't apply very well. Also it has a hard time sticking together after the cure time. I also ran out of super glue. :cautious::cautious:
So I have taken this opportunity to buy some Barge contact cement and see how much of a difference that stuff makes. It will take a few days for delivery.
I am not a fan of using hot glue. I have never had good results with it so I stay away from using it.
So in the mean time I have started to cut out other parts. First up: the space diaper!
20170827_221023.jpg

Then I'll start with the shins. By the time I get my hands on bonding materials I'll have a bunch of stuff ready to put together.

UPDATE 2:
Got a hold of some super glue and managed to put a toe guard together as well as assemble the space diaper. Soon after I discovered that my son would not be able to slip the bugger on and off. So I did some surgery and used some rare earth magnets I had as fasteners. I just have to conseal them. 20170828_212713.jpg 20170828_212519.jpg 20170828_212440.jpg 20170828_212458.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back