Read the FAQ !

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going to be working on all of this, folks! Big part of the reason I brought Cadet to be our Information Officer. We'll be working on all kinds of things to help people better understand and navigate not only the forums but who's responsible for what on all command levels and FAQs about attending events etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have created step by step guides in the past for previous jobs and whatnot, so if any help is wanted there (such as for things that PerniciousDuke suggested), I'd be willing to step forward.

Also, I'm not gonna lie, I lurk the forums on a semi daily basis. If you do decide to want someone to go through and lock old threads, I seriously don't mind stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do decide to want someone to go through and lock old threads, I seriously don't mind stuff like that.

Locking old threads isn't something we're really interested in doing, and this discussion has gone through before. Aside from the fact that it would be a tall order to go through the many hundreds of inactive threads and lock them all, it's also restrictive if the people that own those threads decide to come back and revive them at a later date - or if a member has a meaningful contribution to make to that thread (reporting broken links, etc).

Great idea in principle, doesn't translate well to practise unfortunately. The thing we need to be doing more of is educating our newer members on why we shouldn't be reviving old threads unless it's absolutely necessary - prevention is better than the cure.

On the second thought I agree with Chernobyl, if there would be a case where the OP would like to post in their own threads again and those would be closed... it would be a bummer.
I think there are many people modding the forums and if there would be a case of necroposting - either they can just delete the post and the thread will go back to that... thread-graveyard or a member can report the post for the staff to delete it later on? That way the forum won't be in chaos because of the old resurrected threads and it would be like it never happened.
Same with spam, right?

- Palmer

On the second thought I agree with Chernobyl, if there would be a case where the OP would like to post in their own threads again and those would be closed... it would be a bummer.
I think there are many people modding the forums and if there would be a case of necroposting - either they can just delete the post and the thread will go back to that... thread-graveyard or a member can report the post for the staff to delete it later on? That way the forum won't be in chaos because of the old resurrected threads and it would be like it never happened.
Same with spam, right?

- Palmer

Pretty much exactly that. I've been on forums in the past that have used an auto-prune function to remove 'dead' threads past a certain age and point of inactivity, but on a forum like the 405th it's not really viable to close the door on a project simply because the member hasn't posted in a while. Locking those threads would require the owners to request an unlock if they wanted to post in them again, which is obviously less than idea for both the member in question and the Staff member who has to go and unlock said thread.

Again, it's much easier to educate members about basic forum etiquette than it is to have to put up complex systems to ensure necroposting doesn't happen. If the main cause of necroposting is users reviving old threads to ask questions about certain processes, the best thing we can do is make sure that the information they want is present and accessible. Less questions = less necroposting, less time spent asking questions, and more time spent on putting builds together. Our current administrative process for dealing with forum infractions (necroposts/objectionable content) is fairly robust, it just needs to be backed up by an equally-robust information system.

Ive not been here very long at all and Im one of the newest of newbs in the forum. Granted Im an IT junkie at heart but the search function here, while I agree is on the lower end of the tech spectrum compared to some search bars, is adequate for what we do. A lot of what has been brought up in several of the posts here that Ive seen continuously are people either hounding for free files or failing to even begin reading through the new member stickies designed to assist them with the most basic of questions. I am sure even I have possibly done a post or two that could have been easily answered by reading through more or digging deeper. What you currently see is the culmination of years of thought process that everyone owes something to someone or that the world owes you something and that just isnt the case. Ive seen several instances of people being hounded for free files on builds that would easily sell for thousands of dollars and to be asked by multiple people in the same thread for the files after it was plainly stated that the files werent free. Its a mindset that some sadly fall into through any walk of life and when things arent just given they will do one of two things. The will either become upset and leave thinking they have been wronged for not being given a free ride or they will realize that if they want this they are going to have to put in some effort and make it happen.

I do not intend for my posting to single out any one member past or present which is why I have not named them exclusively. Nor do I feel I am better than anyone else as my journey in this has only just begun. I am simply offering my opinion to the posting. I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn but one thing that sets apart those who leave and those who remain is the willingness to dig deep and never surrender, never stop learning and when you think youve reached perfection....start over again

I would urge anyone new reading this to take the time and read the welcome threads but also to understand that from what I have seen here that this forum is a gathering of like minded individuals who wish to work together. Yes you will see certain files posted that are free for use. Yes their are instructionals posted here to assist you. However you cant expect to have your hand held every step of the way. Think before you post, is this the correct thread for posting this? have i truly dug enough through all the information here already? is what Im posting going to cause a problem? am I really in need of assistance or am I just looking for someone to do it for me?

Now in another aspect I see no harm asking for someones opinion on doing something a different way than has been done or found as such questioning can lead to huge advances . In doing so offer up what you have done and or tried as an example so that it doesnt seem as though your fishing for a handout :)

Once again I apologize if I am out of order on this.

There is no end of freeloaders who will make their way to this site. The problem is not how to prohibit their actions or presence, but rather redirect their behavior toward knowledge gathering. Give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish, to paraphrase. Those who are unwilling to put effort in will weed themselves out by either giving up or making themselves unwelcome and bringing punitive measures upon themselves.

It all comes back to the ready availability of information. I can speak from experience to say that everything is already in place to make a successful start. The knowledge and experience is there for the taking, it just requires effort. I am an avid reader and naturally gravitate toward research rather than personal conversation, so in a way you could say I'm primed to tackle this sort of environment. But not everyone is built that way. The most valuable commodity is time, so it is understandable that any way that time can be saved toward educating new members will improve this community as a whole.

I once saw a documentary about ergonomics, and there was a portion that has stuck with me. The guy held a utilitarian stainless steel potato peeler and explained that despite the tool being capable of its purpose, it was not useable for a person with carpal tunnel syndrome. They redesigned a handle with a larger and more comfortable grip, which means that more people can use it, and everyone benefits from the new design.

I also have had the opportunity to make a series of tutorial videos relating to various data-gathering tasks I must do at work. The result meant that not only can anyone do the task because of the consolidated instructions, but I have become more efficient as a result.

There is never a time that information can't be better organized and presented. I'm intrigued by what new ideas we can discover by digging into the conversation.

Let me know how I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back